Maximizing Enjoyment

Scratch,
You misunderstand me… not global as in the globe… global as in, everyone @ once.
Just like “forums.replaypoker.com” is a part of “replaypoker.com”, a tiered chat would work the same way, and it could be a selectable popup that could be maximized (say in a new tab).

I know this is not a simple 15 minute bugfix, or add 3-4 lines of code… its a project, duhhh.
Implementation would be cruical, done wrong it would be a waste of time.

Right now I can talk to “the players on any table” or “the lobby of any MTT”… most ppl close the lobby to help stability. What I cant do, it chill out and have a discussion in realtime and better get to know my fellow players. Yes, thats what the forum is for, but thats not realtime. Yes, you’ll tell me ppl will use it to cheat… and if they really want to cheat in that way, better to just use a Aim, Yahoo, Google, ect ect ect … chat client anyway because then replay poker cant track conversations.

Lets say, user created Ring/SnG/MTT games are realized… it would be nice to have a global chat to advertize those tables… Anyway, it was just a thought…

Good Morning Sassy,

I did understand the idea as in global being everybody at the same time. Let me be clearer and offer that about three years ago I had a similar idea and even offered a graphic on where it could go. My idea was tabled.

My motivator for my concern is the months doing moderation, whereby I am exposed to the bad guys who have no capability to moderate themselves. Going into the job I thought I was a progressive liberal, but as time went on my patient understanding has evolved into a hardened understanding that some people simply are not here to learn, or gain friends, or just have something to do; there are some people who are out to be mean and to take over a table. sometimes the method is not going all in, it is outright ongoing rudeness. The mission of somebody like that would be to make a global chat room unbearable. I imagine not just one participant like that. I imagine multiple extremists.

Hence, to be very clear, to have such a space for people would require constant vigilance and all the protective code that could be written.

I love and support the idea of global chat. It will need to be designed so that it is safe.

Scratch

Not sure if anyone else has ever played the MMO Godfather Five Families or not, but they have a very good tiered chat. But as mentioned, there will always be “those” people with nothing better to do than troll.

There will always be trolls, my apologies if this idea was rejected. I do see your side aswell.

Indeed, the chat has it’s limitations. For instance, a few months ago while playing in a MTT, I had the enjoyable experience of landing on a table with an uncommonly warm and loquacious group. Remarks were constant and extended well beyond the courtesy of “nh” and “ty”.

(Ironically, it all started from a few dirogatory exchanges with a particularly obnoxious bingo player who shamelessly proclaimed his superior ability throughout the duration of his uncanny streak of sheer luck. As usual, his sand castle was abruptly swept into the sea. Those of us who had endured his rise and relished in his fall were somehow bonded through our mutual elation as we read his parting remarks “f u you bunch of donks!”)

With him gone, the tension eased but the competition certainly did not. But it was all cool, all fun, and all for fun. Good sportsmanship and commeraderie flowed like water.

Now, gestures of good sportsmanship, in their sincerest form, can be conveyed in disguise. When someone does this it means more than “nice hand” or “well played”. It’s an opportunity to say “I recognize your coolness as a dude and am therefore taking the liberty to break the bounds of formality and say something unflattering because I feel like we are now friends.” So “nice hand” becomes “nice hand, you farging icehole!” (if you find no humor in the term ‘farging icehole’ please watch the 1984 Hollywood motion picture “Johnny Dangerously” starring Michael Keaton) In response “ty” becomes “fy!” Extending this brand of casual, fun sportsmanship can require time between some people. It can also serve to break the ice immediately between others. It can be difficult to get an accurate feel for people online. Without the benefits of facial expression and voice inflection, the chat box doesn’t always serve well to foster fast friendships. Messages can be misinterpreted, especially when newly acquainted. I now understand that quite clearly!

Back to the friendly table during the MTT: Players came and went, as always, but the core group remained intact and so did the friendly atmosphere. A young lady joined the table who had obviously been acquainted with one or two of the other players. She was clearly a decent player and a friendly, outgoing, good natured person. As luck would have it, I called her or she called me and the result spelled my untimely dispatch from the MTT. I don’t remember exacly what I said but I do remember using the term “bee-atch”. My gesture of good sportsmanship was grossly misinterpretedand I was promptly accused of displaying poor sportsmanship. I immediately pointed out that my remark was well intended and good natured. (I know it was funny or I wouldn’t have said it.) I was hoping one of the other players would speak up in my defense but they were doing what I would have done in their shoes, sitting back, laughing, and enjoying the situation. Again, I was accused of being a poor sport. Just then, the table was broken up to consolidate the remaining players and everyone was merged onto the final table. So, there I was, an idiot, alone at an empty table. I was not at all cool with the notion of being thought of as a poor sport but I wasn’t getting anywhere with this person despite my opinion that she seemed really cool before I made the misgiven remark. There was only one thing left that I could do. I went to the final table and typed a sincere apology in the chat box. It was ignored.

Does this sound familiar Sassy Sarah? Please make no mistake here. This misunderstanding was entirely my fault. I clearly overstepped the bounds of mutual respect with my remark. It was not a big deal by any measure and wasn’t even confrontational from my perspective. What it was is a blatant misunderstanding and a crystal clear example of some of the many shortcomings of the chat box. Communications is a very complex thing to deal with especially if it’s intended as, or even mistaken as, dirogatory in nature. The raising of a single finger has sure opened a big can of worms for many misfortunate people.

On the lighter side:

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

My online poker New Year’s resolutions:

1.) I resolve to refrain from issuing dirogatory statements to bingo players and I will try not to rub their noses in it when they are eventually eliminated.

2.) I resolve to restrain myself from swearing out loud upon losing a big hand or upon getting knocked out of a tournament and I will never again get mad and throw my cordless mouse. (Not only does it startle the crap out of my wife, it really sucks when the battery pops out of your mouse and rolls underneath the refrigerator! This can easily result in a failure to participate for several critical hands. It’s similar to nodding off but you feel 1,000 times stupider!)

[I was supposed to resolve to spending less time playing online poker but I somehow managed to avoid modifying my behavior by selling the idea of modifying my behavior while behaving the same!]

lol… ranchcracker :slight_smile: i can certainly relate to the situation you described - the friendship etc… and i feel bad that your “bee-atch” comment was misunderstood… any woman , or man , for that matter , should be able to follow the conversation on a table and get a good enough idea of what is being said in good nature or not… as a woman who plays on here , i can certainly tell the difference between joking and what is truly rude or vulgar :slight_smile: if we ever play on the same table , i prefer “bi -otch” lmao :stuck_out_tongue: or wench works OK too :slight_smile:

on a side note: i keep extra batteries in my desk drawer to avoid any “mouse mishaps” :slight_smile: as you said , communication is complex under many circumstances for a number of reasons but , from what i have “read” here … you are OK in my book :slight_smile:

in reference to a “global chat”… once upon a time… in the Dawn of the Computer Age… <<< ( i am showing my age here…lol… ) there were AOL chat rooms… if someone was obnoxious , rude , vulgar etc… you could “IGGY” them :slight_smile: IGGY being the term used when hitting the IGNORE button that was at our disposal . when you hit the IGGY button , you could not see what a person was writing… in a close knit group , everyone would IGGY the offending idiot & we would then be able to enjoy ourselves w/o the attention seeking troll(s) :slight_smile: of-course we would announce that we were IGGY-ing a particular person - just to make sure we pissed him or her off before we cut them off :slight_smile: chat rooms had a limited amount of ppl per room & if someone was IGGY-ed , they would be booted out by AOL :slight_smile: good times…lol… i think that would work fantastic here if you were to expand on the chat box :slight_smile:

Feed them to the Goddess Ignora!

What a blast from the past. My first mod gig was as an AOL chat “Host” in the late '90s.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that if enough people were to mute someone, that person would get kicked from the table? That wouldn’t be fair in a tournament, but I think it’s a splendid idea for ring games.

SPG, no…no…no… if 8 ppl iggy the 9th, then bliss as it was put, is restored.

I’ll start a separate thread on chat, this is about Enjoyment here on Replay. I also think everyone can find enjoyment here at ReplayPoker. The current core config here is top notch. As Replay evolves, more enjoyment will be had by all. Hopefully the playerbase stays involved in helping the staff bring features and changes that aid in enjoyment. ( yeah, and profit for them )

Now that is one great idea and warrants a good look at. May I propose an idea I had after reading your post::: if a certain number of players mute you in a chosen period of time it creates an automatic chat muzzle that can only be lifted after being moderated. This could be applied site wide to every level of every table and game format. Something like 2 players in 10 minutes, 3 players in an hour and 4 in 24 hours as a base to start from but adjust it to make it workable. Obviously auto-mute players would need to be selectively ignored and a few other issues need to be figured out but it could be the basis of a good idea

Hi Whoever, you wouldn’t be joshing us would you? Sassy, bliss when 8 get the 9th muted? Is that possible? Sun, splendid for Ring games? ))

Who wil mute the muters? Are y’all with Anonymous? No, I know better.

Scratch

Oh the beauty of it all, trolls calling other people trolls, “moderators” criticizing every comment, only they are the winners all else are losers. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO! Not enough L’s O’s and L’s people.

Mr. Cleaver, It is always nice hearing from you again. And of course you have added to your body of work. I decided to show some of your positive focus"

… trolls calling other people trolls, “moderators” criticizing every comment, only they are the winners all else are losers…

… This site is the same old ■■■■.

… Waa waa waa boo hooo. Some “moderator” you are. Looks like you only “moderate” your own well being.

… I am playing in a multi and a moderator (Scratch, Sniff? Some name like that.) is playing and wishes one player good luck…

… HELLLO? IT’S A ■■■■■■■ COMPUTER PROGRAM AND THEY CAN SEE THE CARDS!!! UHHHHHH!!!

… Right, Mr. employee here says that the whole site’s odds should compare to one player per week. DUH /

… this an overly controlled site, in my opinion. I get really tired of …

… “moderators” remove anything that does not go along with their agenda…

… This the SAME program that was used to rip off people wh…

… it all got busted for being a sham…

… a lot of the time a hand that had no business won…

… Blah, blah, blah. This site is just like any other computer driven online money hungry site…

… There is no such thing as a “random generator”…

… The site isn’t “rigged” per say…

… This site is the same as any other site trying to make money…

I think you are absolutely dead on; there is no trolling going on here and certainly not by you. Oh, and please note all of your posts were accepted.

Have a lovely afternoon.

Scratch

I rest my case. Will give you points for LIGHTNING FAST CONFIRMATION OF MY POINT!!! Still need more L’s to go with the O’s. LOLOLOLOL!

ok… the idea of an IGNORE button is something that each individual person could use if they are ( or feel ) offended by another player… they just do not want to deal with that person so they IGGY them and do not have to see or react to what they are “saying” - if an individual wants to REPORT that person as well , THEN it gets investigated… same with a “group IGGY” - the person in question still had to be reported as well… as i mentioned , AOL chat rooms had limited space so if the IGGY-ed person did not leave on their own , they could be booted to make room for another to enter the chat room…no one could be booted from a chat room just because a group IGGY-ed them …i did not mean to have it seem like a “mob mentality”… the IGGY button is simply a way for ppl to monitor themselves/others - either as an individual or a group…no one should have to “babysit” a group of ppl who do not know how to conduct themselves but it seems to be necessary in a group or public environment…only if someone is REPORTED does it have to be investigated…and , at times , if someone is reported unfairly , then the report-er could be reprimanded as well…

in a tournament , you do not have the same group on the table for the entire length of time… ppl are moved and shuffled as the tourney progresses…again , you could IGGY someone that is annoying until one of you is moved etc… in ring games i have seen ppl “sit out” for a bit when there is an obnoxious bingo player on the table or ppl will consistently “group fold”… it is a way to send a message to the “offending” person to either chill out or leave…

the only recourse available at this time is to REPORT a player - if we could IGNORE players , no one could see what they “say” - no one to “rise” to their ignorant attempts for attention… maybe some ppl would still “bite” and then being “muted” could still be implemented if needed - in short , the IGGY button would make things easier for everyone - players , moderators , administrators etc… ah well , i have rambled on a bit :slight_smile: i only wanted to clarify my earlier comment :slight_smile:

Please explain the value of a person being told that they are IGGYed; is this sort of like being shunned, treated persona non grata, made to feel disliked? Or is it a good thing?

Thanks.

Scratch

In my experience with online ignore features, letting a person know they’ve been ignored is more or less to prevent them from wasting further time typing messages the ignore-ee won’t see anyway.

What is there to prevent two friends from using the feature to bully one person who is innocent? Indeed, what is wrong with an individual just being told where the mute button is, just like where the fold button is and all other features? Why would we want to encourage 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1? I would think that a more prominent REPORT button would do a better job.

Scratch

It wouldn’t be a 2 v 1 or 3 v 1 situation. As far as I’m aware, the mute button turns off chat entirely, so one would not be able to see chat from their friends at the table if they wanted to quiet someone who was being rude. The ignore button would basically be the mute button, but on an individual player basis (if that makes sense). Rather than turning off the chat of the entire table, you just stop seeing the chat of one individual person whom may be causing troubles either with the entire table, or just getting under your skin.

Edit: That person who has been ignored would still be able to chat to people who have not ignored him. They would still be able to chat just fine, but those whom have ignored said person would no longer be able to see anything they say. (Just thought I’d try and clarify a bit more)

You have; thank you. We have a mute button that works as you describe. But it does not announce that person at chair 3 muted you. It is a silent action and nobody but the person who muted knows.

Scratch