Manic Phase

Thought I’d catch a few on those two. Too sharp! However, trying to lighten it doesn’t always work. It’s still a problem.

Alec Torelli has a video for every situation. The video you suggested is interesting. But he also has a video on how to play against an aggressive opponent, how to play against a pro, how to play against a fish, etc… So to every situation there are many theories and tactics, no matter how you play. It’s always interesting though to try and read others and play the best way possible to beat them. Unfortunately, no matter how amateur or pro one is, and regardless of how many “wrong” or “right” moves one makes, gambling is still a game of odds, and you never know when those odds will play against you, no matter how small they are. In online poker, the weakest odds seem to happen the most for some reason.

3 Likes

haha, even young brains like mine have that too sometimes :grin:

Thank you. I’ll check both.

Only problem with this aggression is that in a lot of games you’re going to get a high number of callers to your raise in early stages anyway, so all you’re really doing is risking a bingo for more chips. Even AA loses a ton of equity against multiple callers and on here, in early stages, people WILL call. How many of these pots are you going to actually win? When was the last time you saw a successful isolation raise or even one to thin the field? Even three bets tend to get multiple callers. Sometimes it’s just best to see the flop and go from there.

1 Like

I really liked what you said. I study a lot of poker theory and what you said made sense to me.

The thing with isolation raises is that you have to raise the size of the pot (for those of you who don’t know a good isolation raise is 3 big blinds plus 1 big blind per limper which is very close to what a pot sized raise is, so for simplicity I would hit the pot button) When I isolation raise with AA in tournaments and SnGs, there are times that I do get much less callers. Often I will be able to thin the field to 1 or 2 opponents and then bet aggressively on the flop and take the pot down (1/2 sized pot bet is often enough if there are not very many draws on the flop and you want to bet somewhere between 2/3 to a full pot if there are a lot of draws.). If there are more than 2 callers, than I would still bet aggressively on the flop, because it still often takes the pot down, and if I face a lot of resistance (regardless of how many opponents there are), I might slow down on either the turn or river if it looks like my top pair top kicker might be beat, to control the size of the pot. Also, with isolation raises and 3 bets I tighten up the ranges I do these with, and because you will be playing cards that dominate your opponents calling ranges, you will profit in the long run.

3 Likes

My psychiatrist says if I didn’t take my medication,i would probably be manic depressive.But he only treats me for my schizophrenia,Are you talkin’ to me…are you talkin’ to me??

1 Like

me too I miss the earlier days. bingo is in & holdem is out !!

IMO discussion of play in any game on here other than high stakes Ring games and tournaments with at least 100k buy in are pointless…these people may be betting their birthdays…the object here is to play ABC poker conservatively until you have accumulated enough chips to buy into a game big enough that the players take the game seriously…YMMV

Thank You, I agree.

Makes total sense to me. The lower buy in tables seem to call about anything pre-flop. You almost have to make a ridiculous raise to drive some hands to fole.

that means you play a very easy table. all you need to do is bet when you’re ahead and fold when you don’t.
it’s as easy as it can be, and you will win my a huge margin that way as well

1 Like