Kickin' Nicotine

I chain-smoked unfiltered Camels and cigars for 40 years. A friend of mine gave me a vape device and I have not smoked a single cigarette or cigar since. The only other anti-smoking therapy that ever did me any good (alas temporary) was acupuncture. Gum, patches, and lozenges just didn’t work for me.

2 Likes

I know that’s harder for some than for others. It’s how my husband quit–just stopped one day and never started again. But I do think there’s merit in harm reduction. Even dropping from a pack a day habit to four a day (hopefully from there to none a day) is a good direction, don’t you think?

4 Likes

I agree Jan but if your going to smoke why die a slow miserable death. Think about those around you who feel awful and heartbroken watching you die of cancer. Every cigarette is 12 minutes off a person’s life. I don’t know how people can be so selfish to those that love them and care. Been there too many times. I know it’s an addiction….

Craig_Anthony: You must have never smoked or had any “addiction.” My doctor said quitting smoking cigarettes is harder than quitting heroin. I wouldn’t know as I’ve never tried heroin.
I guess I can understand why you think smokers are selfish. I don’t think they mean to be, though. No one intentionally smokes just to cause anyone else “heartbreak.”
Being overweight is just as bad for your health. Do you believe that obese people are selfish?
What about other vices? Most of us have at least one.
I’m not trying to be argumentative. I just don’t want to be judgemental.

3 Likes

JanCee: My sister quit smoking in a unique way. She and her husband both smoked - outside - and put their cigarette butts in a large jar with sand in the bottom. She stopped emptying the jar when she decided to quit. Every time she craved a cigarette, she would open that jar and inhale deeply. The smell was enough. She quit and doesn’t miss it. (Most people who quit, still have cravings).

3 Likes

What a unique and creative strategy. I can see how that would work. Thank you so much for sharing.

2 Likes

Like I said in an earlier post I’ve been there. Maybe I am being judgmental and over sensitive on this subject because I lost so many to lung cancer including my dad …. I’m done here…

3 Likes

GOOD NEWS !

Quitting smoking is EASY and you don’t need any substitutes or alternatives!
Nicotine addiction lasts only 1 week (2 tops) so it is a very short length of time that you’ll find yourself itching for that pack, and once you’re past that stage, you’re done … seriously.

The major trick is that you need to stop buying tobacco.

I like the idea of putting your tobacco money in a jar and it won’t take long before you’ll need to swap out that jar for a bucket.

If you find yourself missing the oral aspect, you can buy some stick cinnamon and carry one in your pocket, just pop it into your mouth like a cigarette, and if you get a good stick, they are tasty to chew on (tough on your teeth though).

If you hang out with other smokers and find your self bumming other people’s smokes, insist on paying $5 a pop for them, you’ve got to train yourself to stop buying tobacco, so make it painful to cheat.

It really is easy …

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?
Only one, but the light bulb really has to want to change.

2 Likes

Just go to your local biker bar, tell them Big Jim sent you, and tell them you need a fella to do a bit of work. Now hire the burliest of the lot to follow you around, and have him punch you in the face if you go to light up. (I’ve found that getting punched in the face is fairly good motivation)

With any luck, you will be done with withdrawl just as you get released from the hospital, and you will have a good drinking buddy for the rest of your life.

3 Likes

I should have mentioned that Marines might want to hire 2 or 3 fellas.

3 Likes

I got news for you. I never smoked cigarettes and was on my country’s Biking team. At age 70, I had a few heart attacks. Surgery, to replace the ascending Aorta (BIG DEAL).
I am now smoking a pack of cigarettes a day after I saw an old friend of mine, a Urologist
a bit older than me, same past, same heart surgery; he did his 7 years ago, and he’s been smoking ever since. The one thing all doctors tell you: The people who stopped smoking are the ones with the problems, and end up dying. It is not good to smoke, but
so many people that I knew died of covid, and my best buddy, a doctor, who never smoked went to visit our common friend at the hospital. He said hello, sat down, and died!!
No warning signs, like me or my Urologist friend. If they smoke, just let them be. Lets
hope you don’t die of breast cancer or my dearest cousin who died 6 months after
they discovered that he had testicular cancer.
My sister’s lungs filled up with liquids. Super first responders got her to the hospital in 7 minutes from the moment she called 911. Intubated, she died 9 days later. Never smoked in her life. The best story? There are 2 dinky islands with more smoker per capita than the 3rd, Greece. Yes, they smoke like chimneys here, and their cancer stats
contradict all the bugels. Let them be, love them as they are, and hopefully you will outlive them

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha, I was reading your previous post and was thinking to myself, if I was a smoker and needed a beat down to quit you’d need a squad to get near me , flash grenades and a straight jacket lol :joy:

3 Likes

Sometimes the smoking over powers the will, I still smoke but am trying to quit.
doing pretty good so far. especially with help from some friends here on Replay :smile:

3 Likes

Very hard to do, but working on it.

2 Likes

I have been trying for about 3 weeks now to stop smoking, it’s very hard to do.
and vaping etc…is just as bad, trust me, I know.
I have also heard of people who have stopped smoking for 3 to 4 years, breathe easier, have more energy, and then BAMM get Cancer, but I have to stop so, I’m trying very hard to do so.
Maybe it’s like your damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.
I have went down 1/2 pack a day down to 3 to 4 cigarettes a day, then when I feel like I need another, I just take 2 or 3 puffs and throw the whole cigarette away.
One of my Aunts just stopped cold turkey, she smoked for years, and she lived a very very long time after she quit smoking.
I just would like to have all the support I can get from friends, JanCee, Sharon, starbritxx and mojo1122 has been sending me support messages, and it helps me, sometimes when I get that craving I just go and read the support messages, then I’m able to go way longer without smoking, those messages really really helps me and that is a good thing. I’m very determined to stop and I will succeed. :hugs:
Big hugs to all that are making it easier for me to do so.
A big Thank You to Jan for posting this. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
and eating healthy keeps you from gaining weight, I buy more fresh vegetables and fruits to eat and or snack on, plus been chewing lots of gum. I have always ate healthy, just eating even more healthy now.

5 Likes

I wish you great success Cathy. Looks like you have the right mindset. I know I don’t want to lose you to Lung cancer so I will add you in my daily prayers :pray:t2: You can do this. Positive thoughts bring positive results. The repetition of hand to mouth is a huge physiological factor. I know hundreds that have quit by wearing a mitten on their smoking hand when they have a craving because they can’t repeat the repetitive motion of cigarette to lips. You got this :+1:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Thank You so much Craig, I appreciate that. :hugs:

1 Like
3 Likes

If that doesn’t work I can help him out, no charge !!!

3 Likes

Sirtakis, Did i understand you correctly. You STARTED smoking a pack of cigarettes a day at 70 ?