It's just bad play

I agree too; i could not play poker at all; now a little bit and i enjoy
I also learnt not to be annoyed how other people play
just keep smiling

Oh yes I agree. It bad poker.
Wouldn’t you agree that “bad poker” is pretty much the norm on here? When bad players are given free chips every time they turn around we will continue to see bad play. Its built in. Its encouraged. Its entertainment! Nothing wrong with that.
This is going to offend some people but it is the truth…
Replay is to Poker as a Karaoke Bar is to singing.
Both are entertainment venues for the craft. Serious singers go to the recording studio. People up for a good time go to the Karaoke Bar, order a Daiquiri and let it fly.
One can love good music and still have fun up on the stage butchering Bohemian Rhapsody.
Replay has provided the table, the chips and the stage. Four people shoving their stacks is exciting and entertaining. Three of them probably made a “bad play”. Who cares?

I was chastised by a “serious” player yesterday for not colluding with him on a final table to oust a short stack. This was a low stakes tourney. I had top pair and I bet the minimum. He said that in a live game I would get probably get beat up.
I laughed.
Fortunately Replay has anticipated this and provided a ‘mute player chat’ button.

2 Likes

lol LOVE IT…♫♫… but doing both are fun.

3 Likes

:slight_smile:
If we played for money I would play different.
But we play for higher things…joy, satisfaction, stimulation, excitement, friendship, amusement.
Sharon knows, which is why she gives no mucks.
:wink:

1 Like

I am not sure if I agree with you, Whittaker. Or, at least I wouldn’t express it as drastically as you do.
At the real money site I used to attend for some years, the situation was not much different. There were excellent, good and bad players, and… real donks. So it is not only a question of chips or real money.
A German friend of mine, actually a good player at live tables, used to play every Saturday night, after getting back home, obviously in an almost comatose state, from the pub. And not surprisingly he had to re-found his account every Sunday. He played like a “donk” without actually being one.
I only play tournaments, so I can’t judge the situation in ring games, but I can positively say that there are many experienced and skilled players there, and it is always a pleasant challenge to meet them. And they often joke around and talk and laugh! The one thing doesn’t exclude the other.
In my opinion, to play good poker is a question of experience, talent, dedication and, above all, love for the game. And also, strangely, of personal pride. The occasional players might think it funny to squander their chips in a minute, and don’t care what the others think of them, but the regular ones (according to my observation) have something like a “reputation” to defend. That doesn’t mean always to win, of course, but to avoid amateurish mistakes or donk-like bets.
And before one reminds me of the many times I played like a donk (see my previous post), yes, yes, I do that too, especially when, like my German friend, I decide to register in a tournament at night after getting back home from the pub. :slight_smile:
By the way, I don’t only like good poker, but good music, too. Now I understand why I always shudder when friends propose to go to a karaoke bar. LOL

2 Likes

Here’s why your analogy doesn’t apply. In a Karaoke bar, everyone singing is an amateur. There’s no competition. Everyone is having fun. There are no winners or losers. And as you said, serious singers go to recording studios.
At Replay, you are putting great singers against amateurs, they are competing, and there is a jury who is choosing winners by flipping a coin, not by merit. That’s a better analogy.
What you are saying is that it’s ok for Frank Sinatra to have a singing competition against a goat, and still lose for some weird reason, as long as the goat is having fun.
I’m not encouraging “serious” players, and not saying that the games shouldn’t be fun for everyone and not taken that seriously. I’m all for having fun and not a big fan of sore losers.
But whether I win or lose, bad play is bad play.

1 Like

We are mere inches apart miri.
I agree it is prudent to think about strategy and try to play skillfully. I do those things when I play monopoly or scrabble or putt-putt with my grown kids. But I don’t read books on monopoly strategy, bone up on unusual words or build my own putting green. There can be joy in a game or an activity without a slavish devotion to its minutiae.
Is a lover of music to be condemned for singing badly yet refusing to take singing lessons?
If you get enjoyment by becoming the best technical player on this site, good for you! If I get enjoyment by shoving UTG with A-10 on hand #1, so what?
If you want better singing, stop watching college kids in Karaoke Bars.
If you want better poker, stop watching people who get 75,000 free chips a month & a FaceBook-Liking-Bonus.

You should hear me crush Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog, Sharon.

1 Like

Interesting post Maya.

Very often true.

Not exactly.
I want the better players to win. The most disappointed I get on here is when I see a good player read his opponent perfectly and draw him into a large pot, only to lose on the runner- runner or miracle river. But to talk about that is to risk the bottomless chasm known as The Fairness Debate.
My point is that if the goat enjoys the way he plays, that’s the way he should play. If he puts low personal value on chip accumulation and deep tourney runs, and high personal value on showdowns and excitement, who are we to badger him into a style of poker he doesn’t want to play.
I like nothing less than people criticizing the size of my bets, as if they know:
-How I’ve read the table mood and the individual tendencies
-If I have to leave in 10 minutes and want to ramp up the pots
-If I’m creating a false impression to cash in on later
-If I’m waiting for the pot-stealers to throw some chips in.
-If I’m feeling lucky

Some people enjoy playing in a strict range and convention
Some enjoy wildness and aggressiveness
Some lay low and trap
Some decipher the table mood and go the opposite way
Some mix up all those styles in the course of one tourney
Looking at small samples of someone’s hands and criticizing their play is dubious imo.

Agree completely.
But bad play, like an angry cat, is sometimes fun as heck!.

3 Likes

I really like the way you think. It seems we do agree on lots of things, but despite the things we disagree on, I still like the way you think :wink:

4 Likes

A good (or even average) poker player goes all in on a straight, a flush, a boat, or quads.
A bad poker player goes all in on a hope, a wish, a dream, and a prayer.
Maya Cohen :joy:

3 Likes

So here’s my all-in preflop which I lost today.
Ako vs 99 result :- AQ7/T/9
KK vs J9 result :- A99/-/-
KK vs AA. result :- stomach ulcers.

There’s one more which I don’t remember.

So the thing is all the money I lost today or I ever loose is from the preflop all ins.

The thing is these plays weren’t made against tight players, but super loose players who I had seen going allin before with something as low as A3o, Kjo, K7,…

What I want to understand is, should I stop going all i n pre, when people are going to get lucky again and again or should I keep playing the game like it should be played?

Believe in my reads and notes and call the allins.

It’s hard to tell. I personally don’t initiate the preflop all in even when I have AA or KK. However, if someone else does, and I have AA or KK or AK, I call. I’ve lost more time than I’ve won with this strategy, but I stick to it. At least this way I’m not to blame for losing, since I’m not the one who started the all in, but I had no choice but to call because of the cards I have.

i don’t know how many raises were before you, but i would rarely fold AK and even rarer fold KK. fun fact is that you are beat by a better hand just as rarely with AK as you do with KK. KK just has a lot more equity against other hands because it dominates way more and flips much less. the only thing that beats KK is AA, and the only things that beats AK is KK or AA. but odds are the same. there are 6 AA hands possible. but since if you have AK you also hold a blocker for both hands that beat you, making it 3 possible hands for both KK and AA.
there are situations where i would fold AK or KK but they are very rare, only when it’s very deep and opportunity applies where people just keep raising.
as played: your AK and KK’s were all more then fine against loose players.

Maybe in real life KK dominates but not here. I lose a good 80% of the time w KK. I fold it alot.

2 Likes

Who say’s it’s wrong?..I don’t gamble with my own money, so this is the only “gambling” that I enjoy other than driving on the autobarn.

2 Likes

I fee your pain, I called out relay about the same crap , with no response and now because I dared to question them it has gotten even worse , worse cards dealt all game 92 37 63 etc etc and if I get ak someone with 99 jj 10 8 still wins, I believe if your not buying chips you get ■■■■ as a punishment !!!
that’s ok , if they feel that this is honest play so be it , I can see why real money players wouldn’t play here !!! its all play money and if it makes them feel good oh well !!! house always wins play for fun beat them once in a while its a game, but don’t call them out or you will pay lmfao !!!

@killshoot I have friends playing on the site who complain that because they are paying money, they are losing. They say they are on a losing streak because they paid for chips and now the site is automatically making them lose with bad cards all the time so that they keep buying.
So it seems players who don’t pay for chips complain about losing, and those who pay complain about the same thing.
To be honest I think you’re both wrong. We all have bad luck streaks and then some wins. Be patient and your luck will eventually change, whether you pay for chips or not :wink:

7 Likes

i understand what you mean but try posing some of the big pot hands in here, not just the ones with the biggest bad beats but lets say something like your last 10 all-in situations (or last 10 big pots). that way i and other people can analyse them to see if we agree on the bad luck streak or if there might be some area’s of improvement.
i have had some big bad luck streaks too but because of that i have also done things i shouldn’t have done (like tilt, poor BRM, and overcomplicating stuff) , and when watchinig it later it looked to be like some low stake donk played those hands instead of me.
long story short: when you get a lot of bad luck, it will often affect your play as well, making it last longer then it has to be. so try posting these hands so i can help with that. gl.

2 Likes

This thread piqued my interest immediately. As someone who learned poker as a kid, watching my dad explain how cards worked, I tried to learn how to play as smart as I could to make the most money in the end. Getting to final tables in MTTs or doubling up in a ring game provide the most fun for me.
I see bad play all the time, at any stake level; I find it effective to trap donkeys and wait on a good hand. Even then, sometimes you get a bad board and lose out to a weaker player. I feel playing my game has kept the game both fun and competitive, and given me personal incentive to keep playing for more chips. I reached around 8 million a few years back, then lost it all; I’ve since worked my way back up to 7 mil. Playing smart, with the goal to win as much as I can, is how I have fun; I think it’s certainly fun to take money from people who don’t see the game the same way haha

5 Likes