Info about Windows 7

Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020.

Microsoft made a commitment to provide 10 years of product support for Windows 7 when it was released on October 22, 2009. When this 10-year period ends, Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 support so that we can focus our investment on supporting newer technologies and great new experiences. The specific end of support day for Windows 7 will be January 14, 2020.
After that, technical assistance and software updates from Windows Update that help protect your PC will no longer be available for the product.

2 Likes

well people who didn’t upgrade for free really missed out, microsoft gave everyone the option to be one windows 10 and not everyone took it

I disagree, I’m keeping my windows 7 (the best one they ever made) and protecting it with my anti virus, I have turned down the last few months of updates (because I suspect they made it more vulnerable and people can un-update) and will continue on with 7 until they come out with something better!

2 Likes

Definitely. I’m not a fan of Win10 because of the associated privacy, right to ownership, forced updates, and advertising issues that tech savvy people have encountered. (You own your computer, not Microsoft.) Plus Microsoft design and support are utter garbage right now due to poor hiring practices.

I’ve still got a system running XP and that hasn’t been supported in years. I don’t run a special firewall or anti-virus either. Never have had a problem. If I ever did, I would figure out how to fix it. Just don’t be a complete clot with your browsing habits and you typically won’t run into trouble.

Pro tip: run a good browser with a good adblock extension: I’ve been to shadier parts of the net where the pop-up ads will actually try to inject and run malicious code on your browser and OS. An up to date adblocker will nip this kind of thing in the bud.

(A total drive wipe and a re-install can fix many things as a last resort. Just make sure you keep your files backed up like I do…)

3 Likes

Got it on my tablet and god knows how may times it has screwed up doing updates.Lot’s of info online so not just me.Stuff their W10 where the sun don’t shine and force as they do I am not changing.

1 Like