I won my first MTT tournament

Congratulations Tom.

2 Likes

Successful people who are secure with themselves appreciate when other people achieve. Small, insecure people seek to diminish the achievements of others.

5 Likes

Wonderful feeling isnā€™t it Tom, well done

:1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

THERE IS NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, LIKE WINNING YOUR FIRST POKER TOURNAMENT !

5 Likes

Now why you would choose this forum to attempt to not only minimize his victory dance but go so far as to call it a joke. That is a strange way to show you were never taught manners or tact or respect for your fellow man, or how to keep from intentionally embarrassing yourself. awinisawin. Whether itā€™s a sit n go, an MTT, or whatever . 1200 players, or a 5,000 seat free-roll like they had at PokerStars back in ā€™ 06, when I took 6+hrs to finish 2ndā€¦The comment you made was rude, an packed with audacity ā€¦I wouldnā€™t advise taking that attitude with you as a way to play at this site . Unless you like being shunned. Peace .

5 Likes

Seeking to diminish the achievements of others is not restricted to small insecure peopleā€¦

i guess youā€™re right itā€™s not restricted, but the majority is. but i have a feeling he already meant that :wink:

I joined late to a MTT that had started up a few minutes before I logged into the site, and ended up winning the whole tournament.

One thing I noticed, joining late, I started the game with about 10 players already eliminated from the game, before they had a chance to represent any threat to me in the tournament. Also, I started with the regular buy-in, which put me about in the middle of the chip leaderboard: About half of the players had won some chips, and about half had lost. This starting position put me in a better position than about half of the remaining field.

I still had to play very good poker to beat everyone else in the field, including the best players in the tourney, who (presumably) made it to the final table. I actually eliminated 7 of the 8 opponents at the final table, so I was obviously playing well and getting excellent cards.

But I have to wonder, is there any downside to joining a MTT in progress during the late registration period?

1 Like

Everyone who started on time started with the average stack, late registrations usually start with less than the average stack. This is a disadvantage.

Those who start on time have the benefit of watching the other players and gaining a little information on how they are playing while the blinds are as low as they get. Those starting late often start when the blinds are a little higher, and they have missed the opportunity to gather any information. This is also a disadvantage.

1 Like

Blockquote Everyone who started on time started with the average stack, late registrations usually start with less than the average stack. This is a disadvantage.

Ah, but I still have an average stack if half the players are above me and the other half are below me. I have an advantage over the small stacks, and a disadvantage under the big stacks. It evens out, but it places me square in the middle of the chip standings, ahead of half of the field. And I can bully the weaker small-stacked players, and I think that is better than being even with the entire field at the start.

As for seeing how people play, thatā€™s true, but after youā€™ve been playing on this site for a couple months, you learn how people play, anyway, and if you recognize their names when you see them at the table, then maybe it helps some, even without observing for the opening of the table. True the blinds are a litlte higher, but it didnā€™t seem to be a great disadvantage for me, since I did end up winning the whole thing.

But I was thinking Iā€™d won with a handicap from the benefits of the late start. Would you say that I actually overcame the late start to win? Or do the advantages and disadvantages basically cancel each other out, and itā€™s even and fair to play late entry vs. starting at the beginning?

If people have been eliminated, you will be starting below the average stack. The current average is shown on the tournament lobby. Itā€™s also shown in the upper right of the table, but this number doesnā€™t seem to update as fast.

Consider this: if you stay below the average stack the whole tournament, you can never win. Itā€™s literally impossible. On the other hand, if you stay above average, you can never lose.

In the mid stages, about 2/3 of the field will have less than the average stack. This isnā€™t as true at the beginning or at the very end, but itā€™s a good rule of thumb in general.

I play a lot of MTTs. I canā€™t remember how everyone plays, let alone how they are playing at any given time. Thereā€™s just too many players to keep track of, and people change styles from time to time, so notes donā€™t really help much.

At the start of the tournament, the average skill level is at its lowest. If you get behind, you will have to play catch up against a progressively tougher field. The later you start, the harder it gets.

I donā€™t see any advantages to starting late, so thereā€™s nothing to balance. Yes, you overcame a disadvantage, though not a huge one. I play about 120 MTTs a month, and rarely start on time. This isnā€™t intentional, itā€™s just the way it is.

Congrats on your win, I hope itā€™s the first of many.

1 Like

Depends on how late you are to register as players make some of their biggest post early leaving you to play catch up and disadvantaged.

The fish are fresh when you start a tourney and they get wiser as it gets tougher.

A few minutes is no big deal but if you are 10 minutes late you are starting well behind many players.

Congrats on the win!

Starting late is a huge disadvantage in bounty tournaments. Not only is the competition softer at early levels, and not only will you start with a below-average stack, but if you join after some people have been knocked out already, then those bounties are gone. You canā€™t hope to collect them. Youā€™re therefore limiting your own potential prize pool by starting late.

For regular tourneys, Iā€™ll personally generally start ten or so minutes late. Most of the bingo players will have flushed out, and Iā€™ll be able to play poker without having to deal with that nonsense. The peace of mind is worth the slight chip disadvantage.

3 Likes

Congrats!

I just played my first. It was fun, and I won $1K, no biggie, but I had fun.

2 Likes

play in the American league games or Europeanā€¦ play ever game and win chips but their is a big bonus prize at the end of the mo for the player with the most tournament points too

1 Like

Starting late is a huge disadvantage in bounty tournaments?
I have to disagree with ur assessment here ā€¦ Why u may ask? ā€¦ By entering late I will have a larger stack then more then 1/2 the remaining players and also there might be quite a few extremely short stacks whom will play much looser to try to get back in the game ā€¦ Both of these give me an advantage to collect the bounty if I felt them not just cripple them giving someone else the easy prize

And interestingly for regular tourneys I have no problem joining early b/c of the opposite reasons I embrace the ā€œBingoā€ player ā€¦ I guess I will leave that explanation for another day :slight_smile:

This is my 2 cents take it or leave it but I think my record since joining this site might give one a reason to listen :slight_smile:

Best of luck at the tables ā€¦ The Goat :goat: :slight_smile: