How's your day going?

I try to use this to my advantage - 1st game tonight I raise KQs and get a bunch of calls. I flop the 2nd nut flush and bet 1/3rd pot to keep people in. 1 call. Turn is a brick and I check because I know the guy in the hand can’t resist shoving when someone checks to him. I check, he shoves and its an easy snap call. He has the naked nut flush draw and hits his 14% hand on the river. SMH. I’m happy with every step of that hand, other than the result :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been counter-exploiting sometimes like that too. It’s a pretty effective move against certain players.

2 Likes

Totally agree, and the same thing applies to flops that have an ace on them. If there are just two of you in the pot, either your opponent has the ace, or he does not, so many chances to represent the ace, and if he does not have the ace, he will often give up the hand and fold to any bet, because your preflop raise is so strongly suggestive of you having an ace.

2 Likes

Absolutely a good move and I’m glad its working out for you. In puggy’s case, I was asking if he ever raised over limpers with these hands. If he isn’t, then decent opponents will know he can’t have hit this flop.

2 Likes

This is a very effective exploit and is supported by theory as well. As the IR, you should have all the strongest Ax and therefore can bet range on most A-high flops, whether you have the ace or not. There are different bet sizes people use which are dependent on the opposition you are facing (and board texture). Vs very good opponents, on a dry A-high flop, the recommended line is betting small with your entire range. Force them to call with weaker pairs and draws to meet MDF. Vs more passive and weaker opponents who will call a raise with any Ax and will always call with TP on the flop, bet smaller with your range and bigger when you actually have a strong Ax or better hand. Extract maximum value from people who will call at least 1 bet.

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly. I think you’re on the money with Puggy; he might be getting exploited due to predictability. I’ve noticed this point brought up by many participants in his threads.

I wanted to give a testimonial to its effectiveness just to strengthen your point and encourage Puggy to adopt said strategy.

3 Likes

I didn’t catch that, but to answer, yes sometimes I will raise rag pairs.

3 Likes

My day has gotten a lot better recently.

Here’s a final hand from a SNG I just won:

V is the understack, but only down very slightly, sitting on the button, blinds at 500/1000, and he raises 3BB. I’m holding KK, and re-raise to 6000. He jams, holding QJs, and the flop gives me a set of Kings, while making him a royal flush draw, 8sAcKc, and runs out 9h9c. I win with full house over the next closest thing that you can get to a straight flush, for the skin-of-my-teeth win.

I know Sassy_Sarah’s play a little too well, and got her on this hand, where she tried to steal the blinds with 64o; I jam back with A8s, and she calls for some reason, and I end up winning the hand with a pair of 8s. Of course, sometimes she’ll have AA here, so it’s risky, and when i’m running bad she hits trip 666s and I miss the board.

And there’s this hand, which I played like a fool, and sucked out Replay-style, again knocking out the Sassy one. I played AKo, and got her to call me, she hits top pair 8s on a low board, 582 flop, and she bets big at the flop. I don’t believe her, so I call, and make an even bigger call on the Turn, and make runner-runner backdoor Wheel straight to win the hand. This was the fishiest fish-donk hand I’ve played in a long time, and I got incredibly lucky to suck out 3-4 on the final streets. I really expected Sassy to have been betting air at me, and that my AK-high would win a showdown against air if it had to, or I might find an Ace or a King here, and if I went bust I was fine with it, but I wasn’t expecting to make a backdoor straight at all.

1 Like

Capitalizing on the wild variance swings within Replay’s pRNG and the large number of players here who overfold – particularly in MTT/SNG settings – are definitely some of her strengths.

At any rate, good job getting your stack in the middle on these hands. The goddess of Rungood has given you her blessing today.

1 Like

:sunglasses: Its Working !!!
Maybee I should stop by your tables more often dear Puggles … :roll_eyes:
Would you believe me more if the hand was for 1m chips ??

Sassy

2 Likes

1Maybe… It’s fair to say that you outplayed me in that first hand, but I out-rivered you.

As for the second, I’m still puzzled as to why you called when I jammed you there. So as long i don’t understand your play, I guess you can say your strategy is working.

… Then again, maybe it’s better to fold when you get raised on a bluff with 64o.