How their bad calls can cost you chips - Implicit Collusion

I agree with your earlier post, that the need to size up bets to maximize value from players calling too loose (and avoiding morton’s dilemma) along with the lack of fold equity creates these bloated pots that lead players to think that the cards don’t play right on replay. I’ve seen countless instances of big hands getting cracked by incorrect calls. Hands that should fold to say a pot sized bet often still have 20%+ equity (smaller pocket pairs, draws, etc.) and when they hit they win huge pots. Set mining on replay is extremely valuable because you can almost always win the stack of the original raiser because they often have JJ+ and make the pot huge to scare off draws.

3 Likes

Never a worry my friend. Its good that a topic can bring out strong opinions. You separate the wheat from the chaff through rigorous debate. Maybe overlaying fold-equity with Morton’s theorem is a bit much but I think they are related. Morton never specified his estimations of fold equity because it isn’t necessary for the theory. If you try to bring the theory into application, it is my opinion that you need to incorporate the related concepts in order to find solutions (or to describe behaviors).

Of course I may be thinking about this too much because I’m bored out of my mind with too much time on my hands - lol. Not sure if there are more thoughts out there of if we are near the end of it for now but either way I’ve enjoyed this line of thought and think this thread has been worthwhile. As of the time of this post, there have been over 1300 views. I think that’s pretty good for a topic as wonkish as this one on a social poker site.

3 Likes

Well, looks like this puppy has run its course. Its been a few days since the last post (though we’ve reached over 1500 views). In the interest of keeping the Forum fresh and uncluttered, I think its time to lock this thread up. I appreciate everyone who contributed to it or just read it. It would be nice to see more poker-related threads on here and I look forward to seeing what those might be.

2 Likes