How Do You Learn Best?

I’m always interested (former teacher here) in the way people learn. Personally, I’ve found that I can’t learn from written material unless the topic is something about which I already feel very comfortable and familiar. New information comes into my (thick old) brain most readily if I can see it–a picture, a video, someone showing me step by step.

Thus, I appreciated this link, shared with me by SunPowerGuru, Part 1 of a series where “Daniel Negreanu plays an online tournament while walking us through his thought process on each hand. If you want to know how top pros think, here’s your chance…”

Tip o’ the hat to SunPowerGuru for sharing this with me (and with his okay for mentioning him here), also now with all who read the Forum. It’s a bit long, but Daniel makes it interesting and fun (IMHO).

3 Likes

I think it is good and I have found all Daniel’s similar videos to be very helpful, although I wish they were also videos where he shows the hands that he folded pre flop and why.

I think the key to learning is constant repetition and familiarity with the material.

In general I would much rather have decent book than a video if given a choice between one or the other, because the process of accessing the information is much faster and so much easier to go back and review the material, but obviously in the case of learning poker it is very helpful if you can see the cards and the flop, so videos reign.

3 Likes

I have seen videos,read books but i have learn the hard way,just playing! Thats the beauty with this game,you learn a thing evry day!! Good and bad!! Learn much from you hear in replay in the forum,so thank you!!

1 Like

When we undergo an experience, this does not always lead to new insights and learning. For example, if the experience only serves to confirm some already held beliefs it will be interpreted as supporting the existing cognitive status quo and little attention will be paid to it. If we do not pay attention to it the opportunity for new learning will not happen.

2 Likes

This series of videos is good, but in order to get the most out of them, one has to manage their expectations. These videos aren’t a tutorial on how to play poker.

When I watch stuff like this, I’m looking for “broad brush” insights on the ways people approach the game, not for details on how to play one specific hand in one specific situation. I try to distill principals from the vapor of their experience.

For example, notice how he’s always thinking ahead… “I’ll open here, but will have to fold to a jam,” or, “I’m going to bet this flop, bet turn, then bomb the river.” He always has a plan for the whole hand, not just the current street.

I learn best by studying. “Studying,” doesn’t mean, “let it play in the background while you watch cat videos.” It means pausing the vid and thinking about what he’s saying. It means pausing it as soon as he gets his cards and trying to predict what he will say.

I don’t think any of us would quickly skim a textbook, then think ourselves ready to take a final exam. We can’t just let information flow over us and hope that some of it sticks, it takes time and effort for things to soak in and be fully absorbed.

3 Likes

I often did this during my HS years.

I have a question about this video ( I’ll admit I only watched about the first 15 minutes ) is it for real money and only available in Vegas?

I liked watching it and asking myself (What would I do?) and happy that I pretty much agreed with his play.

3 Likes

The tournament he’s playing is a $25,000 buy-in real money tourney.

“Available,” is another question. Six states allow online gambling, as do many countries. I guess you could look at GGpoker to see if it’s available to you.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I loved hearing his thought process. Any idea what D.N.’ s IQ is. Probably about the same as yours Sun. Don’t let that go to your head. :slight_smile:

2 Likes