How are player rankings determined?

How are player rankings determined?

Hi brtritch

At the moment the ranking is based on the total amount of chips the player has, that will be changed, in the future it will be based on wins and skills. The tournament ranking is based on the won tournament points.

Greetings Happiness.

"At the moment the ranking is based on the total amount of chips the player has, that will be changed, in the future it will be based on wins and skills. "

What does that mean? I dunno any real way to determine someones skill by mathematical algorythms (well there is roi and other statistics but theyre mostly calculated how much you do WIN). Then there is that winning thing, but u can win lots of hands going all in preflop, but that doesn’t usually make it very viable strategy :). I totally agree that more chips doens’t necessarily mean better player, but usually thats the case imo. Just want to hear possible changes in sneak peak lol ^^. In tourneys the win rate is ofc better than most of chips won.

Ranking of the ring game toplist is now only atractive for players who play with millions on the table. When you play with millions you can win or lose millions. And play for the ring game toplist. Totally not atractive for players who play low stake or medium stake tables. When you start with 1 million and end with 2 million you play better when you start with 20k and end with 100K? That what i mean with skills. But to be honest, not really know how it is gonna be when it is changed:))…but it not will be only based on the chips you have or win.

ok, its all good im just curious nature lol… i think % increase to your bank would be quite good, but i just cant see it working because ppl would leave 1 chip and then get free 500 for 50000% increase xD. Im really excited what rp staff got in their sleeves, because things like this can really boost your ego :D. So it would be cool if everyone would have REAL chance to be up there.

Most important is that every player can see and show their progress. That is the reason i like toplists / leaderboards (can also be in levels) , attractive for all players.

But we have to wait a while to see how it will be excactly, i can not wait for it:)

There needs to be at least two separate rankings per game type, one for ring games and one for tourneys. For tourneys, I like the idea of ranking by tourney points per tourney. Tourney points alone speak mostly to activity, not quality. Tourney points per tourney is easily calculated, and immensely more meaningful. It would have to have tiers of activity (<10 tourneys/month, 11-30 tourneys per month, over 30 tourneys per month for example.) The current system is akin to saying Bill Gates is the best person in the world. Any system where you can buy ranking is meaningless.

dont get it… you cant buy tour points at all… And the ring ranking will be changed the reasons you discribed.

The tour points ranking system it is in place + top list based on lots of different things… http://www.replaypoker.com/toplists/mtt

Tournament points are calculated using the following formula:

(1000*(Math.sqrt(n)/Math.sqrt(k))*(1.01+Math.log10(b))).ceil Where *n=number of participants, *k=position in tournament, and b=amount of buy in.

Say you placed 5th in a 10 person tournament with a 10,000 buy in. If you plug that into the formula it would look like this:

(1000*(Math.sqrt(10)/Math.sqrt(5))*(1.01+Math.log10(10000))).ceil If you plugged this into a calculator you’d find the result is 7,086 points.

Please note that when we calculate the rankings for the tournament toplists, we only sum your top 10 multi-table tournaments per week, top 20 per month, and top 100 per year.

I agree brtritch that the current ranking totally sucks… and we want to improve it just as much as you do. With everything we have going on, it’ll be some time next year, but rest assured it’s on it’s way!

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How are ratings determined?.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How are the rankings we have calculated?. I like that we can see the rankings when we click on a name. Are the rankings based on amount of chips alone?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled rankings.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled More Accurate Ranking System!. As it stands presently, if you want a high ranking on RP all you have to do is open your wallet and buy a million chips.
You can go from 207,000th place to the top 2,000 without playing a hand. Or collect your $2,500 play money chips everyday for 2 weeks, get in a medium stakes ring game, wait for a good hand go all-in and now you rank 2,500th and your a “high stakes” player! Puh-leez!