Heads Up Tournaments?

Every player has the chance to cash in every game they play in the tournament. If they’re tracking their overall tournament +/- profit, then yeah, someone who hasn’t won enough games will at some point reach a point where even if they win all of their remaining games, they’ll still be coming out of the tournament with fewer chips than they started.

That’s a reality, and my hope is that the people who sign up for this tournament are doing it out of an interest to play in a HU NLHE tournament for fun and bragging rights and some free chips. I’d be a little more wary of the bankroll implications in a real money tournament.

I’m doing what I can within the limitations of how Replay’s set up; since they do not have any options for a 2-seat table MTT with a single buy-in, the only way to do this right now is to make-do with what they do give us. With a relatively small number of players, hopefully everyone’s interest is such that they’ll agree to commit to playing the whole thing out, regardless of the outcome.

I will think on this some more, and try to figure out what makes the most sense.

I did think about the idea of a quitter’s future matches being counted as forfeits, awarding the win to the opponent they declined to face, but I felt that this would probably give the winner-by-default too much of an advantage, since there’s 0 risk of losing those matches.

Fractional wins awarded for forfeits might be a way to go. I’ll have to think on it some more.

I could also see taking wins away from a player who forfeits.

Part of the problem I have is how to properly detect a forfeit situation, where one player was willing to play, but the game didn’t take place. How do I establish who was at fault for the game not happening? All I know is that at the end of the week, not all the games were played. Unless someone messages me and says, “Sorry, I’m out of the tournament for [reasons],” I have no way of knowing what happened and why, and I have zero interest in becoming a detective or arbitrator in such matters.

It’s enough for me to do the organizing; the success or failure of this thing will be in very large part due to the actions of all the participants. I hope that impresses upon everyone, and is enough. Let’s all want for this to be a fun, successful event, even if we go the whole way losing every game.

Those are non-starters due to the way Replay works. The only chips paid out in this tournament will be the chips won from the individual games that make up the tournament series. There’s no provision that Replay provides that would set aside some “extra” chips for an event like this.

That said, I would sure love it if Replay would create a formal event for a 2-seat SNG series of tournaments, as a special promotion. I think it’s feasible that they could do so, something like the Astrasl SNG leagues, maybe, or even an actual 2-Max MTT, would be pretty fun.

If we wanted to have any hope of such a thing becoming a reality, we’d have to want it enough to make this informal event that I’m organizing come off successfully, and hopefully catch on and grow into something that would make Replay Staff sit up and take notice of it.

For this round-robin format, every player will play the same number of games, if everyone plays the full round, and follows the rules as given in the spreadsheet.

The real world usually throws a curveball or two, though, and it may end up that not everything works out according to plan. Being that this is the first one of these that we’re doing, I’m trying to keep things lightweight and simple as much as possible, rather than expend a tremendous effort thinking through every last thing that could possibly happen, however unlikely, and have a perfect response for every situation.

To me, it’s even OK if we do run into some problem and have to deal with it in an ad-hoc manner. I am trying to account for as many contingencies as I can anyway, but if life happens and I have to improvise some solution, it’s not the end of the world, and I’ll treat it as an opportunity to learn and improve for next time.

I appreciate it, and thank you for caring enough to share your ideas for ways to make the event better.

I agree with you, if the number of games played over the full field of particants isn’t equal, then it would be unfair to give a player a higher ranking for more wins out of even more total games. As I designed the tournament structure, that should not happen, but as it depends a great deal on everyone holding up their end of their committment, that’s not something I can fully control, and so it could end up coming to pass. If it does, I’ll have to think of something. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen, and try as much as we can to avoid it, then.

Sound good?

That’s tough to say. Right now, we’re sitting at 5 registered players. That’s 4 opponents for each of us to play, so 12 games of heads-up. A heads-up game can take anywhere from a minute to a half hour or more, just depending on how the players play and what happens.

By the rules I wrote up, I’m giving the full field 1 week to play their 3 games against their first opponent, so that this will give everyone plenty of time to send and accept friendship invites, message each other, coordinate the time they wish to play, and acually play their three games.

So, then, figure maybe 90 minutes over the course of the week, or so, and possibly much less than that.

My hope is that everyone gets together early and plays their games, and reports them to me as quickly as possible, so we can kick off the second matchup without having to wait the full week between rounds. With 4 opponents at 1 week per opponent, that’s already a month to resolve the full tournament, if everyone takes their sweet time. If we can halve the time, or more, then great. But I want to make sure enough time is given for those who really do need it.

Hopefully it will not be a problem for the matched opponents to settle on a time when they can meet to play against each other, but I recognize it’s certainly possible for time zone differences and work schedules and other obligations to make it hard in some cases. We’ll just have to work through those issues case-by-case as best we can.

Thanks again for all the great questions and suggestions, @waidus!

1 Like

I’m in

1 Like

Added, welcome aboard.

now that i have a better understanding, I might like it even more. tks pug

1 Like

@waidus

I conceptualised an SnG MTT tier system game the other day, partly inspired by @puggywug round robin idea and some old MTT/ring ideas I had in the past. In general its a Tennis or King of the Hill HU MTT Tier structured concept game.

The concept would need to be designed & implemented by RP to work. I might create a separate thread/post for it later, but for the time being I’m more interested in supporting pugs project/idea. Ultimately I don’t think there is realistically enough players & demand to support my concept anyway, to bother the required work to design/implement this NEW game. Its more just an interesting fun idea IMO rather than a realistic option for the time being.

I’ll try to outline the simple concept here. The MTT is an SnG best of 3 games starting at Tier 1 or Level 1 all the way to Tier 9 Level 9. The higher the Tier/Level the higher the buy-in. The MTT will be structured & operate similar to a Tennis Tournament, which I think is what you mean by the word Bracket in reference to structure. If you win you can move up a Tier/Level and stakes, but if you lose you move down.

Buy-in starts at 2K for L1 and basically progressively doubles as it moves up. Hence L2 - L9 = 5K, 10K, 25K, 50K, 100K, 250K, 500K, 1M respectively based on the currently available tables. Similar to Tennis you must win each mini best of 3 Tournament to Qualify and move up to the next Level/Tier and also must have the required bankroll to pay 3 buy-ins for the next Level/Tier. Note that if you only win 2 out 3 games you will not be winning enough to bankroll the next level. For example win 2 out of 3 @ 2K = 8K win - 2K loss = total 6K (totally ignoring rake or SnG game fee). Even winning 3 out of 3 = 12K & not enough for the next Level/Tier 3x 5K =15K required buy in.

Hence it will be optional to move up or keep playing at the same Tier/Level, and also optional to cash out (small penalty will apply) or stop playing at any point.

You ALWAYS/MUST pay 3x the SnG buy-in for each mini Tournament to play, AND play them consecutively with optional (if required) timed breaks in between each single SnG buy-in Tournament/Match. This does require commitment & unfortunately isn’t as relaxed as I would prefer, but it ensures games are played & resolution.

Also if you lose in the best of 3 mini Tournament you will be demoted to the Tier/Level below current. If your currently T1/L1 you can restart. If you lose the first 2 games of the mini Tournament there will be option to forfeit or TILT quit and get back 90% of the 3rd game buy in - minus rake or game fee.

The MTT could continuously remain open 24 hours daily and run for 1 week or 1 month or maybe it could be scheduled to open for a few hours each day. This makes play this HU SnG MTT fairly flexible.

I do wonder how much support the L5-7 50K, 100K, 250K would get and if any players would progress any higher. Any player that could defend L9 for 3M would be crowned the King of the Castle!!! I haven’t fully thought about what is required to defend etc.

There is more to think about and add, but its a fun idea I think.

@SUPERPOTATO17 please accept the friend request that I sent you so that we can message each other. I need to be able to send messages to all tournament participants. Thanks!

As a side note I’ve already tried to add 2 players that have ignored my friend request. IMO for purposes of running this tournament to some success, as already outlined - adding players as friends will increase the chance of games getting played and progress. I see a number of minor hurdles to the successful completion of the competition. Adding a player as a friend is Ground Zero, and easy to do. If you wont add now PLEASE at least add after start date & we get matched up together etc.

Note: you can add a friend on RP for free like subscribing to a YouTube channel and similarly unsub/unfriend at any time. Its free with no obligation.

@puggywug IMO players that are confirmed to be playing should check in to the Official HU Round Robin Competition page you’ve created.

I really hope this HU Round Robin Competition is a success but if players put up too many road blocks and games are too difficult to engage I will probable lose interest & quit. I hope participants will make a little effort.

1 Like

Agreed, and a major reason why I wanted to keep this first run small. I’m hoping everyone will read the rules of the tournament and follow the instructions, but knowing human beings the way I do, this may end up being a testament to my eternal optimism that I thought that this would work.

It really does depend on everyone doing their part. I cannot stress it enough. If a few players don’t, we’ll just make do with a smaller tournament. That’s all I can think of to handle it. My hope is that by giving everyone a whole week to figure out when to play three games will be enough.

Im on and get atleast 10 players to play…keep us posted…cheers !!!

Welcome, @jazzbythebay.

Unfortunately due to the upcoming RSOP VIII … I am unable to commit to competing in this tourney Sorry for any inconvenience … but I would not be able to guarantee my ability to fulfill my commitment … I wish you all Good Luck and hope to be allowed to play in the next one

The Goat