Folding the nuts? Yes, if you are skilled

wow don’t start folding flopped straights these are not very cool folds especially on replay poker it was just a setup here

In a real situation I don’t even have to think with this hand and I pay, but to convince you here are some of the hands that you beat in the limp range that I estimated in your opponent:

3 combos of set of 9
3 combos of set of 7
9 9T combos that make two pair
3 7Ts combos
2 79s combos

there will also be combos of semi-bluffs that he will play like this from time to time like JQs/JQo, Ax(s), etc…

that’s at least 20 possible combinations of value that you’re lowering without counting the semi-bluffs combos, behind you are beaten by 12 combinations of J8
Let’s imagine that you beat 12 of his combos and that you are beaten by 12 of his combos jamming will still be ev+ given the dead money in the pot

1 Like

I’m sure I would have done exactly the same thing, and it can’t be correct to fold, but I would like to know whether it’s better to 3-bet or call on the flop.
Almost every hand you are beating has a lot of equity against you, and I think you can still bet big and get called on safe turns. Pretty sure you would get away from 9h in that case, as you’re dead against basically every hand MADHOF listed.
Maybe that’s just being results orientated though and 3-betting is the better play?

Here is our equity against his range (we play 20% equity against his overall range excluding J8 so it’s really the only annoying hand ) :

I think 3-bet is important as you want to go all-in as soon as possible with a hand that will be difficult to take all of your opponent’s chips on many turn and river.
Besides, 3bet shove is almost possible in this situation (it’s not balanced at all but very exploitative) to break our opponent’s odds when he has draws, and to polarize ourselves on a draw, and especially because 86s is the perfect hand to overbet(so I hate unskilld’s sizing on the flop :D) on the flop since we don’t block the cards that pay us which is not the case when we have TT or 9T where the 1/2 pot sizing is more correct.
As for why we’re happy to go all-in on the flop or grow the pot now, with 86s there will be plenty of turn and river cards that will block the action and not allow us to take it all from our opponent :

-2 8s -3 Js -2 6s -2 9s -3 7s -3 Ts
plus 13 cards containing the heart independently of the cards mentioned, so at least 27 cards that freeze the action.
With the nuts you’re happy to hurry the move on the flop so I give a lot of merit to the 3-bet here

I don’t want to go into strategic details but here’s the kind of texture with the kind of hand where I don’t rush the move and will just call when my opponent shows me strength :

so that was my point of view :upside_down_face:

1 Like

small mistake there are 11 potential hearts left in the deck on the flop so 25 cards that block the action and not 27, besides here the hearts are the least worst turn or river cards since our opponent is not going to lead a lot on the flop with a flush draw so it’s among the cards I’m least afraid of on the turn with a straight