Fold Pocket Kings Pre-Flop

If someone is really passive and has a super tight 4 bet range pre-flop can you fold pocket kings here? I typed “aces?” in the chat and was considering folding after that 4 bet but moved all in anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

You called a 4 bet pre flop and “ all in “ without having the nuts. I would have gotten out of that scenario and lived to play another hand.

1 Like

If you know he only makes that raise with aces, then yes, you can fold kings.

If you think he might do that with QQ, KK, AA, and AKs, (or wider) then no, you can’t fold, at least not in a ring game. Well OK, you can, but I wouldn’t.

He did raise from 450 to 3,700 though. That raise kinda screamed aces to me.

2 Likes

I think you can justify folding KK pre-flop in a few rare scenarios. I’ve you have seen this player have AA only in this spot ten times in a row maybe I might start thinking about it. But simply put, I don’t actually remember ever folding KK pre-flop in my life. And yes, I’ve lost with KK to AA countless times.

4 Likes

I don’t think you did anything wrong. KK is a difficult hand preflop to fold. But, I think he was going all-in with your 450 re-raise.

I’ve lost a hand with pocket AA against another pocket AA because he won with a Ace high flush. I don’t recall if we went all-in preflop.

2 Likes

It’s the same guy that was complaining about Replay being rigged (remember he said they’re spying when he’s in the bathroom :rofl:) when really he just makes poor plays like snap calling off his stack with QJo. He’s a mega calling station - I think he only raises aces pre-flop.

2 Likes

When he went all in without any hesitation was a bugle call that he had a huge hand at that point. It’s hard to dump KK, though. Even if our better instincts say to get out of the hand.

4 Likes

Assuming this is tournament play, I think the min reraise from the button was a mistake, as it gave an opponent with a weaker holding like QQ no incentive to fold at all. A raise to 6 BB by you followed by a shove by villain would give a good case for folding. Add the possibility that he has AA to the possibility that he has AK and outflops you versus the possibilities that you double up or are eliminated and there is a case for reraising then folding and licking your wounds and waiting for a better spot. After all, you can be pretty sure that he does not have KK, which narrows his range a bit. He is unlikely to have AQ, as he would be scared of AK, KK, QQ, or AA.

[In a tournament yesterday UTG shoved and I called with KK from the cutoff, only for the BB to also shove with AQ. It turned out that UTG had TT and flopped quad tens, so I was down to 2500 chips, but eventually managed to regain a large stack, before being eliminated prebubble.]

Having said all that, on RP we all know that many players make the most ludicrous calls and shoves, so you can never be certain unless you have a good read on a player.

Here is one of the greatest tells on RP. You raise to 3BB with something like KT. BB calls, and an Ace comes on a ragged flop. BB, then hesitates a while and checks back to you oe makes a smallish bet. This nearly always means that he is scared of the ace on the flop. If he does have an ace, he will usually bet largish, so that you do not have odds to outdraw him.

If you bet small, he may still call with something like 99 hoping to hit a set on a later street, but if you bet large, he will nearly always fold. Late in tournaments this move can win you very large pots even when you do not have the best hand. This is particularly valuable when the BB is a player who tends to overcall from the BB against early raisers when he does not have the odds to call, and he will have to play the hand from out of position.

The stage is set with your preflop raise, because it will strongly suggest that you have an ace to the caller who does not have an ace.

Of course if he has flopped a set and slow played it, then you are in trouble, but you cannot win tournaments without a bit of luck on your side.