Famous People You Have Met

American senator and presidential candidate Bob Dole passed away today (12-5-21) and I remembered meeting him in Washington, D.C., several years ago. One other famous person I have met: Ronald Reagan. I met him when I was 10 and he was California governor. (You can easily deduce from that how old I am!) And once, when I was 18, I had a chance to curtsy (from behind a rope by St. Paul’s cathedral in London) to the Queen of England and Queen Mum.

Any such close encounters in your worlds?

5 Likes

Darth Vada - the body of DV (Spencer) - And I met him well :slight_smile: xxx

3 Likes

Jerry Ford
Moshe Dayan
Dionne Warrwick
Hubert Humphrey

2 Likes

Wow, that’s quite an amazing list, bobbybobby.
No tales to go with the names? Names are good enough, of course.
Thanks for responding.

Wooohooo! :slight_smile: You win!

1 Like

I dated professional wrestler “Playboy” Buddy Rose for 10 years which means that I also met and traveled with a lot of the guys. Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, and so many more. Not the life style I’d want forever, but a decade of my life that I wouldn’t change. These friendships last a lifetime

2 Likes

I’ve only ever met one famous person and he was probably the nicest person I have ever met. Canadian Football League legend Michael “Pinball” Clemons. Super friendly and motivational guy who won 6 Grey Cups with the Toronto Argonauts.
pinball

2 Likes

social - used to live next door to Damon Albarn of Blur fame and his famiily when I lived in London - they were all very friendly and great people

work : met Jonathan Van Tan - Deputy Chief Medical Officer and virologist who is heading up the UK NHS campaign re covid when he visited our hosp - really down to earth and nice bloke

Political -Boris Johnson when he was mayor of London and he was looking for a photo op at Guys hospital - no comment !

sport - Richard Stanton - caved with him at wookey hollow .He is one of Britains best cavers and was involved in the Thai football team and other cave rescues - fantastic person -

3 Likes

No names but…My Wife worked decades for the Airlines and spent much time in Private clubs at the airports where the Politicians-VIPs would wait for their flights. She has an amazing autograph collection - pictures with few stories and friends. We’d go to a big concert and Headliner would ask Her-meaning Us to come backstage etc before the show… Good times… P.S. We met on very Bumpy and scary flight with Ball lightening shooting by windows forward towards cockpit. We did well keeping the unaccompanied child sitting between Us calm.

2 Likes

I talked to a Sam Elliot look alike( in my city )-as close as I have ever gotten to a famous person-teehee. He was at my hair salon, I spoke to him, and he flunked the test on the mustache wiggle :rofl: He still made my day!

1 Like

Nice Jan, I was a big fan of Ronald Reagan, you did not happen to see Nancy did you?

1 Like

No, Nancy was (presumably) home baking cookies. lol

:rofl:

1 Like

As a younger man I was a newspaper reporter and met a lot of famous and notorious people. Had a beer with a young senator from Delaware at a rally for a young senator from Colorado. Met Reagan, Ford and senior Bush. Ed Asner. Stephen Stills. Joan Baez. William Kuntzler. Got a high-five from Hulk Hogan. And got paid to do all that!

2 Likes

:exploding_head: :100: :star_struck:

I once shook hands with Richard Nixon.

I crashed a Black Sabbath after concert party once, and sat next to some guy who asked me if I had been at the concert. I told him that I didn’t go because I thought Sabbath sucked since Ozzy left.

When I asked him if he was there, he said, “I should think so, I’m the bloody keyboard player!” I think it was Geoff Nicholls, but sauntered away before I could find out for sure. (I also probably set the world recored for the 25 yard casual saunter)

3 Likes

I’ll take you on. I can out-25 yard casual saunter you any day, I’m certain. Muuuuch practice.

1 Like

Forest Whitaker for me.
I spent 3-4 hours in a small room at my (non denomination) church with him recording the monologue for The Butler and Lee Daniels directing him.
He was shooting another movie locally (southern New Mexico) and I had a small production company then…I was absolutely blown away with how he could go in and out of character.
I was paid handsomely but gave the credit to my church (Center for Spiritual Living of Las Cruces) as they were struggling financially at the time.
I still have the uneditted audio I sent to the studio if anyone wants to hear it :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Oh man, that is a great story, GrandyB! I would of course love to hear that.

It’s several hours so let me cut out some interesting parts and I’ll post a link.
I had forgotten I still had the files but after running across this post I went searching and found them :grinning: