Fabulous Realities

Have you ever heard of “fabulous realities?” Here’s what you need to create one of your own:

“Tension is necessary to make a fabulous reality. Two things that do not belong together touch in some way, and their touching creates waves of further suggestion that are not stated.”
~Ken Macrorie, Telling Writing

Example 1:
A pimply-faced, dirty, barefooted, greasy, stringy-haired girl was smoking a cigarette and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, riding a crowded elevator at the University of Michigan while reading How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Example 2:
A display of kid-size pink rifles at a gun show. The sign advertising them said, “My First Rifle.” In small print below: “Not a toy."

Example 3:
An elderly lady in Las Vegas, dressed in a full-length mink coat and rhinestone flip-flops, an oxygen pack tucked neatly into her pocket.

Can you make one up? It can be poker-related or not. Good luck and have fun!

2 Likes

Pretty sure I dated her, once, but she had too much class for me.

2 Likes

On buying a pack of mixed nuts and studying the packaging, am delighted to see in large print “warning, this product may contain nuts”
(This is not made up!)

4 Likes

A tall, somewhat awkward self-educated country boy, riding in a train car pulled by a noisy, soot billowing steam locomotive, using the stub of a pencil and rough, lined paper to write the Gettysburg Address.

1 Like

A sickly old man, frail and fading fast, lights one cigarette after another, then sets the brakes on his wheelchair and drapes an old worn blanket over his useless legs as he leads his country to victory in the Second World War.

2 Likes

A grandmotherly retired English teacher, sweet and courteous beyond measure, reads a few poker books, then embraces her inner demons to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting social poker league.

7 Likes

:smile: :rofl: :innocent: :hugs:

2 Likes

:dizzy_face:

1 Like

A woman, clad head to toe in fur, her face weathered but strong, stomps the snow off her mukluks and throws a piece of seal fat on her small fire before connecting via broadband to her favorite poker site.

2 Likes

An aspiring poker pro fires up his gaming laptop, starts Piosolver, Flopzilla and 16 other programs in preparation for his daily grind. He gets his mind locked in on the complex theory behind the game. Then he logs on to Replay Poker. :rofl:

5 Likes

Great example of Tension Muggs! As to the other request, don’t see it.

2 Likes

Which one - the pimply faced girl or the elderly lost in Vegas one?

1 Like

Sounds like something I would do…maybe did. Sorry about that buddy it was unintentional. :slight_smile:

I perfect painting of my fabulous reality.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forums, RedMonarch. I love your avatar!

1 Like

Welcome to the Forums, Red. Both of them (not at the same time), knowing me–I’m a terrible flirt (meaning I’m not very good at flirting, LOL, but never say “Die” I was always told). Good luck at the games.

1 Like

Huggles JC - further to SPG’s little ‘fabulous reality’ picture…after that the retired English teacher went silent, picked up a paintbrush and turned dead, lifeless, neglected, decayed, forgotten and spider infested letterboxes and garden ornaments into one of a kind works of art, that brought smiles of joy and transformed a street, a neighbourhood and a community of strangers into a breathtaking, memorable, life changing colourful masterpiece…as penance for the havoc. A fabulous reality…apparently news worthy. Love you guys for just doing what you do…play. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

what does too much ‘class’ actually mean, can you ever have too much? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here’s a reverse example of class. (By the way, there is a much raunchier version of this by the same artists that was deleted from the movie “Chicago” for being “too crass.” I won’t link to it, but it’s called “deleted version, if you should look it up.”) (Which, I suppose means I have no class, at all.)

2 Likes

Well, you’re not alone in your no class class, my friend! lol (I looked it up.)