Extreme ranges: calling and raising

Against me, the outcomes would be:

Trip 555s vs A-high
Flop is a King and two hearts, River hearts.
K5A, brick, 5
553, Q, J

@1Warlock

2:20 I love Liangā€™s look in total disgust and head shaking after quickly calling the all in. Also like how he asks villain to show his cards on the river, which obviously he didnt want to lol.

His face reminds me of myself calling on the river in pots I had controlled but had to check the river bc of unfavourable river card. Im calling the river in disgust & a little curiosity that villain hit some stupid backdoor draw and winning the pot. Guess villain was bluffing

Yea that hand & session I posted was shoving any 2 cards. I wasnt aware there were others sessions like this. I figured it was a 1 off mega steam TILT. The hand I posted & the next hand Hero calls fairly light but with the better hand & losses twice for 200M a pop.

1 Like

I may have missed this in some of the other great replies, but I think it is important to consider how many players might act behind you.

Letā€™s imagine you know the villain that is going all in every hand has 72. You have 82, but have 4 players to act behind you. You canā€™t call; while you have great equity against the villain, you will be likely to be in a bad spot if any of the other 4 players call.

So in general, if you are last to act, with someone going all in every hand you can really call very wide, but each player that might still potentially also call forces you to tighten call of villainā€™s all in bet considerably.

4 Likes

What to do with troll players? Itā€™s a tricky one. I absolutely love taking chips off such people. Unfortunately, my record against such players is disappointing. Although aggro-donkeys and bingo loonies arenā€™t capable of earning sustainable long-term profit, when Iā€™m at the table, they hit hand after hand, sometimes at my expense.

Nevertheless, this very scenario happened to me last night. There we all were, having a civilized, gentlemanā€™s game of poker, when an aggro bingo donkey shows up.

A few games go by. Heā€™s all-in every hand. No-one is calling. All of a sudden, I get ace/ace. Itā€™s heads up. I almost always win when I shove my aces. Result: loss. He has unsuited 10 and jack and wins an 8-to-queen straight.

A few games go by. This time, I get suited ace and king (clubs). Heā€™s all in. Call. Result: win (high card) (he had unsuited jack and queen).

Two more games go by. Heā€™s all in. Iā€™ve got a pair of kings. Heā€™s got five and ten of diamonds. Result: win. Three of a kind (kings).

Satisfactory profit was extracted from this particular aggro-bingo-donkey, but frankly, if I hadnā€™t been drinking beforehand, I probably wouldnā€™t have bothered. As they say: trolls: donā€™t feed 'em.

You have to look at stacks too though.

I was ina tournament awhile back when the player to my right shoved his last 20k. I had 100k and moved allin. The player to my left called off his last 30k, and the BB (who had me covered) called too.

In that kind of situation, all I really needed to do was beat the BB.

I ended up winning both side pots, paid the first guy off, and still came out a nice amount ahead.

You are right that the number of people left to act is important, but so are their stack sizes.

4 Likes