Excellent Advice

OK, this isn’t specifically about poker, but a lot of what he says applies…

3 Likes

Start the day with a task completed.
Commit to learning one new thing about poker everyday. This will often lead to learning additional things that will ultimately help your game.

Find someone to help you through life.
Talk to people who also play the game. They will often point out things you might not have considered or see where you went wrong.

Respect everyone.
You can and will get beaten by people playing strategies unlike your own. Don’t simply dismiss these losses as “dumb luck.” See if there is something you can learn from them, even if only to learn how to counter a specific strategy or tactic.

Life is not always fair, move forward.
Yeah your blah blah blah got rivered by his yadda yadda yadda. Get over it.

Don’t be afraid to fail often.
Setbacks and downturns are part of the game. Don’t let them get to you. Be critical of your own play and try new things if you have to, but get up and keep trying.

Take risks.
You can’t win by only playing the nuts. There is no safety in playing safe. Don’t take foolish risks, but you have to take a chance now and then, don’t be afraid.

Step up when times are toughest.
If you are short stacked, dig in and and bring your “A” game. You can tell a lot about someone by how and when they get their last chips in the middle.

Face down the bullies.
If you let someone run all over you, they will run all over you, and you will deserve it. Draw your line, make a stand, and they will find someone else to maul.

Lift up the downtrodden.
It costs nothing to tell someone “GG” when they bust out. It won’t hurt you to help the other players on the forum or in private. Most people know when they have made a stupid mistake, they don’t need you to tell them.

Never give up.
As they say, quitters never win and winners never quit. It can take years to get decent at poker, Don’t expect to get good overnight, and NEVER ring that damn bell!

I wasn’t a SEAL, but was part of an elite fighting force. I started basic training overweight and totally out of shape. One of my drill instructors told me I wasn’t going to make it, and asked what it was going to take to get me to quit and save everyone some time and money. I looked him in the eye and said, “You’re going to have to kill me.”

He could somehow tell I meant it, and I did. He just smiled and nodded.

It doesn’t matter how weak you are at the beginning, all that matters is how strong you are at the end. Never ring that damn bell, NEVER GIVE UP.

11 Likes

I come from a long line of quitters…if you quit then you are saying “I will never face this frustration again”

There is a lot of satisfaction in doing this…I recommend it.

2 Likes

Excellent advice; even an imperfect attempt to live up to these ideals will give many benefits.
I’ve just read the poem you posted in your profile. Outstanding. Thanks.

1 Like

Excellent Advice SPG:
+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

FANTASTIC !!!

1 Like

Wonderful post! I will pass this one along to others and thank you very much! :metal:

1 Like

By the way, did anyone catch the mistake in the video? Here’s a screen shot…

I doubt the Admiral would find this amusing!

So nobody noticed the numbering?

No I didn’t but was still letting number five sink in.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the video SunPowerGuru. It was quite cathartic for me.

1 Like

Yeah, what a powerful speech!

By the way, the video is the “Excellent Advice,” not the stuff I added afterwards. I had originally intended to just let the video speak for itself. After I posted it, I started thinking about how it could apply to poker, and added that list with my thoughts on the matter.