Don't Understand

Can someone explain this to me. I end a showdown and both myself and another have a Flush with Ace high, yet he gets all of the chips! I can’t make sense of it! Here’s the link:

What do I not understand about this?

Thanks for the feedback,
Kevin

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

Although you both had flushes, he had J9 and you only had 64 spades. Therefore he had the better flush hand and won the pot.

Hope this clarifies things.

3 Likes

Hold’em is always the best 5 card combination. The dealer always tries to find the best hand combination. The best combination could be 1, 2 or 0 of your hole cards. If the showdown is equal then the pot will be split with a tie between players.

Split pots are common with A high straight on some boards and many other straights. A flush is impossible to split unless the best flush is the community cards shown.

Example: flop is AhAdAc and the turn is As quads. Any player in the pot has quads, the best hand possible, but the kicker also counts.

If the river is a K everyone has a split/tie pot & the best hand called the nuts. No player can beat quads with a K kicker. If the river is a 2 then the best kicker would win. Hence a K kick is best then Q J T etc. Every card out of 5 best counts.

The flush is A high but the next best card is a J which beats your best card a 6. A flush is a flush & a great hand but a better flush beats a weaker flush.

3 Likes

Jack is high.

The problem with flushes is that, pretty much by definition, other players are going to have flushes. This is because, to get a flush, there must be at least 3 cards of the same suit in the community cards.

You might get lucky - in this case, you might be the only player with spades - but because there are three spades in the community cards and you’ve got two spades (4 and 6), that means there are 8 other spades that are either in the deck of cards or with other players (including the king and queen). Every other player might well have a spade and therefore a flush. It’s not likely, but it’s possible. Your cards are 4 and 6 of spades, so a weak flush (on the other hand, you were only one card away from a straight flush (either 2 or 7 of spades)).

So you made a pretty high-risk bet and paid the price. Your opponent (the winner) took a risk as well, because he only had a jack of spades and pinned his hopes on you not having a king or a queen of spades. But his bet paid off. Note that his 9 of spades would’ve beaten you as well.