Do you have a secret?

HAHAHAHAHA my sentiments exactly!

1 Like

I just try to remember 3 things.

1. Its a pretend table.
  2. Its pretend chips.
  3. If I win , I pretend to be happy. :sunglasses:
3 Likes

Well stated, 1ofthesedays. Welcome to the Replay Poker forum. Hope you visit–and comment–often! Good luck roping in those free chips at all the pretend tables, and hopefully you can more than pretend to happiness. :slight_smile:

I look like my avatar, that’s my secret.

1 Like

great question :slight_smile:

I have an amazing memory and can remember most players without notes how they play and I should use this to my advantage

1. no idea how my memory is good trust me it shouldn’t be
  2. I play random a lot of the time - not on purpose
  3. I am not good at bluffing never seem to win when bluff but i still go back for more

my secret is win chips then loose them all and then fight to get em back -i play a better game when i need to fight for chips the more i have then i make stupid calls and loose them all again

so if i have millions then cal me if i dont then fold and run or if i had gin and tonic then who knows xx

tiggs xx

4 Likes

I saw one hand, in a SnG, where six people shoved, and the one that didn’t went from 7th to 2nd.

1 Like

My secret is to play ABC poker against most players on Replay (ABC Poker: The Simple Strategy In 2022 | SplitSuit Poker). Deviating from it here is generally a mistake, except against a few specific opponents. Of course there are ways to maximally exploit individual opponents that might win more than ABC, but it is a pretty easy way to win in the long run.

2 Likes

Thanks for this link. Great resource! Well posted, JoeDirk.

It would be interesting if that happened and each player who shoved had a sound reason for doing so. The final one to shove would have to have AA to consider giving up an almost certain promotion in the placings by folding. And even then it might be worth folding.

1 Like

No more secrets. I have run out of secrets to share.

Tonight I won a nice tournament for 15 million chips. The play with the last four players lasted a very long time, and then the heads up was also a marathon, so I was exhausted by the end.

But something occurred to me about another secret, which is that you will probably do better at poker if you are very, very good at mental arithmetic. Like you are calculating how many chips you need in a certain pot to take the tournament lead, or how many you need to raise to take down a pot to take the lead in heads-up. I notice that a lot of people are making bets or calls that are not mathematically sound, or where they don’t have the odds. For example people call pot-sized bets with flush draws all the time, which is mathematically a loser unless your flush draw is enhanced.

For a flush draw, you usually are going to need flush draw plus gutshot straight, or flush draw plus a pair, or flush draw plus overcards to make them playable and bring it up somewhere close to 50/50.

Unless you are up against one opponent and have him heavily outchipped and need to knock him out to get deeper in the money, in which case it can be a viable move to just go for broke.

As in any form of gambling, the way to win is to get the money in when the odds are in your favor, but many players are insufficiently aware of the odds, because they simply lack the mathematical ability to quickly work out what their odds are against ranges.

Similarly, you see players winning pots and building huge stacks with massive overbets as bluffs that force the more calculating player to fold, but when they fall, they fall hard.

2 Likes

Winning pots early( mine), protecting your blinds (Doyle or Sam Farha, maybe?), apply pressure , be aggressive(Hanson, Ivey), play suited connectors even if slightly raised, play any size connectors if un-raised pre-flop(Negraneu) , Be an alien (Stu freakin’ Ungar) all of these I use from time to time , maybe… Perhaps? Allegedly **.

2 Likes

Have not read the other replies, just saw the topic.

YES, I shine the brightest big yellow ball in their eyes and bedazzle them.

1 Like

Since Your cards are next to Your Bedazzeler probably use a post it note etc…Maybe not. I have several excellent ways to limit a player or players viewed at table not involving cardboard. But I use one that’s jus barely so-so.

1 Like

If someone bets pot, then you are being given 2:1 odds to call, and need to be winning 1-in-3. Which, a regular flush draw at the flop is close to that.

Pot: 50
V bets: 50
H: 50 to call to win 100, or 2:1 odds, you need to win 1-in-3 to be profitable
Four to a flush at the flop: about 35%

So if you are drawing with four to the flush, then it’s just profitable to call a pot size bet, if it’s at the flop, no?

No - odds of completing the flush on the turn are less than 20%. People mistake the odds for both turn and river (~35%) with the odds on each street (19.1% and 19.6% respectively).

3 Likes

Read the ABC article…thanks…seems like I’ve been doing a version of this all along and it does work

1 Like

It would only be mathematically profitable if it was guaranteed that you would see the turn and the river for free, which in many cases does not happen. The better reason for calling with a flush draw is because of implied odds, which means that you expect more money to go into the pot after you make the flush, although I find it better to bet as a bluff with your draws instead of chasing to the river.

1 Like