Did I take too big of a risk?

One minor quibble with respect to your post. While a GTO strategy is technically unbeatable, it doesn’t necessarily maximize profitability. Rather, it minimizes exposure to EV loss. If there are certain player pool tendencies (e.g. opening too wide, limping too frequently, under-bluffing), one can actually deviate from GTO in order to take advantage of competitors’ inefficiencies and recognize a more-optimal winrate than pure GTO, Nash equilibrium play. This is known as exploitative play. However, those distortions come with the downside that by deviating from GTO, it creates the opportunity for observant opponents to counter-exploit.

I see that fairly frequently when I play 2K-4K rings. Players are way too eager to see flops, so I nit it up and raise the strong hands I do get fairly large preflop. When I still get calls, I’ll c-bet across most flops, and am often rewarded with folds. This often rapidly grows my stack by 25%. However, it doesn’t take too long for some players to catch on, call me far less frequently, and play back at me by check-raising my small flop c-bets. As soon as I see that happening, I settle back into a more balanced approach.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s for sure…you don’t need a bluffing range or play GTO when you know that you opponent never folds or something lol

I was mainly addressing the claim that it’s impossible to win by using math alone, and that it’s necessary to consider outside factors. I can definitely understand why @floridajetski prioritizes exploitative factors so much.

Yesterday I tried floridajetski’s strategy where I only played a single table and tried to look for reads. I was able to really understand how each player played and win more than I had when I played multiple tables at once, which was really surprising to me.

1 Like

Ya it is hard to play more than 1 table if you really wanna get into the best possible reads on all players at the table. You can still win as much or more on 1 vs more tables. Your just much more tuned in and focused, which you need to play that way and u will have higher win rates than the others per table but more importantly you will take down larger pots because of your betting strategies being more accurate too.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips, I was able to win the same amount in 1 hr on one table as on 5 a few days ago, and I doubled my winrate by playing only 2 tables yesterday! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@john456852 @WannabeCoder @floridajetski To be fair this is an extremely small sample size. I do agree though that multi tabling on Replay is very difficult due to how fast the clocks are and you don’t have a time bank. I can play two very comfortably and max out at three which I won’t do for very long. Three is too taxing mentally and my fingers hurt.

As far as GTO vs exploitative play goes, exploit is always going to be the way you maximize profit. Playing a GTO based strategy will only prevent you from being exploited by your opponents. It doesn’t help you win, it helps you not lose. If two players are playing perfect GTO vs one another then neither can win or lose. It’s break even. No one can actually play NLHE GTO, too many variables at play. Understanding it as best we can though provides a good platform for understanding how and why the math works. From that understanding we can see what our opponents are doing wrong and implement exploitative strategies to beat them by deviating from GTO. For example no solver is going to have you open 72o on the BTN in a tournament with antes. If the blinds however are only ever continuing with the top 10% of hands then you can min open 72o 100% and even if you never realize your equity it’s still very profitable to do because of all the gain you get from the fold equity.

I’ve enjoyed the chat over the last few days. This is how the forums should be used imo. Thanks fellas.

3 Likes

That’s true, I shouldn’t be basing my observations on the amounts I won or the results since it’s too few hands. The main thing I noticed when I played 1-2 tables instead of 5-8 like I usually do is that I was able to come up with plays that I had never considered before when I just played on auto-pilot. I was able to think much more thoroughly, understand each hand better, and make herocalls/bluffs much more consistently.

Agreed, these discussions have been great! I’ve gotten to learn a lot and correct a lot of my old errors that I never saw

2 Likes

+1