Constant over betting in ring games

y all the over betting in ring games been playin all different stakes and have noticed that no matter how many people fold preflop there is always a couple people that continue until the next thing u no there isnt anybody left at the table.when u see no one calling u or all u win is a blind or two y not try something different.i know the chips can be free but are we not still playin a game? i dont usually lose to many chips to this type of game but sure does make it a dull time. sitting at tables with a million chip buy in and after 30 or 40 hands the biggest win was like 45000 chips.and most of the time they are just passin the same 45000 back and forth.dont make sense to me.

2 Likes

if someone tries to overbet you all the time with senseless raises, just try to fold most hands that are too weak. and slowplay many made hands (if he calls/raises you back if you raise, you could even better raise any made hand of course). when there are too much possible scare cards that could come after your made hand, you just make an aggressive reraise.
it’s actually extremely straightforward, but with such a maniac you can win huge pots with little risk.

2 Likes

100% agreed with what yiazmat said.

On the other hand, preflop I’d separate “overbetting” from “isolation opens.” Generally, you want only two or three players to see a flop in order to knock out a lot of low-equity “garbage” hands that may overrealize their equity. However, particularly at lower stakes, merely calling the big blind from an early position is far more common than GTO (game theory optimal) strategy would recommend. As a result, in a 9-handed game I’ll often bet 4-5x the big blind, maybe even going larger if I have a very strong hand, I’m in position, and some players in earlier positions have called me. Similarly, I’ll bet fairly large (slightly bigger than the size of the pot) if I have a very strong hand in the big blind, since I’m already exposing the strength of my hand by betting instead of checking my option.

Of course, raises of this size mean you’re not going to see a lot of flops, so taking this strategy means you have to be comfortable with only playing about 20% of your hands - pocket pairs, suited connectors, and maybe some unsuited broadway draws. However, when you do see a flop, and it connects in some way with your hand, there’ll be a nice-sized pot waiting for you at the end.

2 Likes

fully agreed with you as well.

another fun example when overbetting can be a great strategy postflop as well is when you hit a board which makes you almost sure your opponent will overpay for it. the easiest example of such a board is when you know there is almost a str8 on the board and you hold an even bigger one. example: board is 89TQ2 rainbow. and you hold KJ. you know the only thing a reasonable person would pay with is an J, and if villain holds the jack he is almost always gonna pay huge for it. when playing high stake people might probably understand your huge overbet and you might be better of by pot betting, but in medium or low stake i would love to make a big overbet.

2 Likes