Confused hand, who can help understand, how a pair of 10s loses to a pair of 9s?

The support explanation, though kind and very detailed, didn’t make me understand. What do pots influence hands in matches?
Thanks for writing in about that hand! It looks like the hand was awarded correctly. Your Pair, unfortunately, was defeated at showdown by Two Pair. You can check out the poker hand hierarchy here: https://help.replaypoker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002231434-Poker-hand-hierarchy-

Let’s take a look at the replay: Hand #747754551 · Replay Poker

Your best hand: T- T- K- Q- 7
Opponent’s best hand: 5- 5- 4- 4- K

The best hand went to Holi88 because he had a two pair, but this hand also has a side pot. You can only win as many chips from each player at a table as you yourself can contribute. In this case, you started with 1,500 chips. The winner of this hand Holi88 also started with 1,500 chips. The other player JCR67 started with 9,230 chips . Since Holi88 had the best hand, he won won as many chips from the pot as possible (in this case, 9,060 chips ). Since there was a remainder in the pot, it goes to the next best hand that still has chips in the pot. In this case, it was JCR67 , so they received as many possible chips as they could above the originally won amount by Holi88 . This same pattern is followed for side pots until every chip is accounted for (which means 3, 4, 5, or more people could potentially win chips in a single hand).

The Short stack won w/5544K the main pot the side pot which happened to be larger was won w/99KQ7

The best hand went to Holi88 because he had a two pair, but this hand also has a side pot. You can only win as many chips from each player at a table as you yourself can contribute. In this case, you started with 1,500 chips. The winner of this hand Holi88 also started with 1,500 chips. The other player JCR67 started with 9,230 chips . Since Holi88 had the best hand, he won won as many chips from the pot as possible (in this case, 9,060 chips ). Since there was a remainder in the pot, it goes to the next best hand that still has chips in the pot. In this case, it was JCR67 , so they received as many possible chips as they could above the originally won amount by Holi88 . This same pattern is followed for side pots until every chip is accounted for (which means 3, 4, 5, or more people could potentially win chips in a single hand).Support spoke of these pots. How to know their values?

B/c u were in the main pot for 1500 and lost to 5544 … u were not part of side pot

When someone goes allin, the main pot will contain a number of chips equal to the smallest stack entering the pot times the number of people who enter that pot, plus the blinds and antes of anyone who folded. (and any chips from players that entered earlier, then folded to the allin)

The smallest stack can’t win more than this.

When one or more players has more chips than the shortest stack, side pots are created following the same basic rules, except that binds and antes are not part of side pots unless one of the players started with less than 1 BB.

Side pots and their amounts are shown under the community cards.

2 Likes

I need to read the article that was submitted by support explaining these pots, thanks.

1 Like

I need to read the article that was submitted by support explaining these pots, thanks. Thank you for your explanation, but I was even more confused, thanks.

Here is how I would explain this situation

When 3 or more players are all-in with different starting stacks, the chips are divided in to a main pot and then sidepots.
The idea is that any player can only win an amount from another player that they themselves bet. (If someone bets 100, they should only win 100 from anyone else)

6 players have gone all-in.
WALDIR2121 and Holi88 started with the least chips, 1,500 each.
The Main pot is built of 6 x 1500 plus the 30 ante bet by the two players who folded. (9,060)
WALDIR2121 and Holi88 can only win chips from this 9,060 Main pot, because they have not bet any chips in any other (side) pots.

JCR67 has bet the most chips. They have covered all the other players bets.

When it comes to deciding who wins each pot we compare the hand of each player with chips bet in each pot to decide who wins it.
For the first 3 pots, the player with 99 beats each of the other players involved and wins them all.

For the Main pot, the best hand is Holi88 with two pair.
WALDIR2121 does beat JCR67’s pair of nines, but the two pair is the best hand of all the players in this pot.

Holi88 wins 9,060 Main pot.

5 Likes

Thank you.

I’ve noticed that sometimes the hand ends so fast, and goes away so quickly, that you can’t tell why somebody won, or you lost.

3 Likes

I understand that feeling as it happens to me as well!

You can review your hand history and replay that hand and look at what is happening. The Replay replayer is not very good (keeping it polite!) so I use pen and paper and multiple replays.

Regards,
TA

2 Likes

it really happens, laughs.

Thanks