Computer friendly food for poker addicts!

John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich was an avid card player and requested that a slice of meat be placed between two pieces of bread in order that he did not have to leave the table for refreshment.

I think most of us still make a sandwich when wanting to play a MTT or have a full evening of poker, but I thought it would be good if the players would care to share any recipes they have for interesting snacks/meals while still being able to play poker.

On these winter evenings, my favourite is a mug of my home made chicken soup with crusty bread

Just put a small whole chicken in a stewpot, season well and I add tumeric and mixed French herbs as well as salt and pepper. Add celery, spring onions, any vegetables you have left over, and a few mushrooms. Add about half a pint of water and bring to the boil, simmer gently until the chicken is cooked and falling off the bone. Cool and liquidise all the ingredients, being careful to make sure you don’t include any bones from the chicken. Thin down with either milk or water to the consistency you prefer. This makes enough for a lot of nice hot snacks you can have for a week, plus feed the family too! To make it extra special, stir in a small pot of double cream! Easy to microwave and butter the bread while you are on the 5 minute break if you have been lucky enough to get that far.

Good luck at the tables :tulip::blossom:

9 Likes

Usally when I’m planning on playing a long Poker session online I’ll stick with some small and simple snacks like cheese , crackers (Ritz to be specific) and some Pepperoni. I’ll leave it in the fridge (Have the crackers on a separate plate) so I can quickly grab them during a short break or in between hands.

Sometimes I’ll also chew some gum during long sessions.

Good thread Kate!

-Marc

3 Likes

We might need to steal this bit of trivia for the newsletter! :wink: :sandwich:

Love the soup idea. Much healthier than the stereotypical Doritos and Mountain Dew gamer food!

5 Likes

Who else is up for poker-nights at Grapevine’s place?

8 Likes

The ultimate Poker Players snack. Smart food popcorn ( Kettle Corn flavor ) so you don’t get the keyboard all cheesy and a nice tall cold glass of Fresca :+1:t2:

Directions; open bag slowly, pour in bowl. Fresca; pop the top very slowly, pour over ice in a tall clear glass.

Wait for Tournament to start before enjoying your snack !!! Lol

Enjoy :joy:

6 Likes

me me me !!!

2 Likes

I believe it was , so he could eat with one hand,

1 Like

I have beer and doobie, ooopps can I say that here lol.

1 Like

You probably could if you didn’t use the obvious “doobie” word.

Lol

1 Like

A lesser known nobleman from farther East (the Carpathian Mountain region I believe) suggested putting sugar coated chocolate corn puffs into a bowl of milk and eating them with a spoon. This convenient meal had an advantage over sandwiches in that the fingers were never in contact with the food itself, preventing the cards from being soiled. We all owe a debt of gratitude to this great man, Alfred, the 1st Count of Chocula.

6 Likes

Hahahahaha, awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like

your cool LOL !!!

1 Like

so I did spell it right lol.

1 Like

No one will want to come to my house for a lovely long poker morning, I’m sure, to share my go-to 8:15 a.m. poker game pairing of warm Greek yogurt mixed with honey, raw oatmeal, walnut bits, and blueberries. But all are welcome!

7 Likes

That sounds awesome Jan :+1:t2:

1 Like

Very Good Grub there, Jan!!! …

1 Like

Assorted fruit tray with vanilla flavored Greek yogurt for dipping. You must use a fork so you don’t get your keyboard dirty :+1:t2:.

Ingredients; kiwi, strawberries, watermelon, mango, melon, cantaloupe ( stay away from the blueberries, trying to get those little suckers on the fork might make you waste valuable table observation time during the game ) :slight_smile:

Preparations; get dressed and drive to the supermarket and spend that $20 bill.

Your worth it !!!

Enjoy :wink:

3 Likes

Nothing better than oven roasted black-eyed peas (or chickpeas). :slight_smile:
You can pop 'em like M&Ms while playing in your favorite poker tourney. Y-u-u-m-m-y!

Rinse and drain peas and dry well on paper towels. Place peas on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and shake. Return to oven for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine garlic salt, cumin, cayenne pepper and white pepper in a small bowl. Remove peas from oven and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with spices, and shake - tossing to coat. Return to oven for another 10 minutes, or until peas are browned and very crunchy.

7 Likes

Wow, never heard of that. Sounds awesome :+1:t2: I don’t do spicy much but the rest sounds great !!!

Healthy and crunchy. I’m all about that :grinning:

My computer friendly munch lunch is very Fast and Furious. Let’s go. Slice 4-5 thin slices of cheddar cheese. Cut them in half lengthwise. cut them in 1/4’s. Place on a saucer. Grip a sleeve of crackers or the Made in Canada “Stoned Wheat Thins” → head back to the game. Open bag of crackers, remove one, place cheese on cracker, open mouth and insert cracker with cheese. Here is another quickie so to speak. Tortilla Chips and salsa. Salsa is easy to make at home (ahead of game) and tastes unbelievable but don’t try to make it during a break…you’ll have great salsa but no chips left hahahaha

4 Likes