Card games later in life may delay Alzheimer’s

Puzzles, card games later in life may delay Alzheimer’s onset by five years, study finds
Excerpt: Playing puzzles, card games, reading books and engaging in other mentally stimulating activities later in life can help delay the onset of Alzheimer’s dementia by five years, researchers found. Findings published in Neurology on July 14 analyzed nearly 2,000 patients about 80 years old on average and free of dementia at the study start. During seven years of follow-up with annual exams and cognitive tests, some 457 people about 90 years old on average developed dementia, or “impaired ability to remember, think, or make decisions that interferes with doing everyday activities,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). [I tried linking to the original article in Neurology Magazine, but couldn’t get access. It’s still good news for all of us old folks, but you’ll have to take their word for it. Alan25main]

3 Likes

I can tell playing cards has really helped me a lot. I remember things much better now.

I can tell playing cards has really helped me a lot. I remember things much better now.

4 Likes

Interesting!!

1 Like

I have been playing for more than 5 years so this certainly explains my game.