Best poker tip?

Play the good hands, fold the bad ones. It’s that simple.

1 Like

yep, with your hole cards & a flop that is 75-80% of the hand you will wind up with. if it doesn’t add to your hand fold, unless you are a good at bluffing.

1 Like

download some books / visit your library

annie duke is very good start

1 Like

Thanks, will have a look at the book

Thanks, the odds advice is good, and the 70/80% starting hands tip, also good to remember

Dear Bigloser1,
Thank you for your acknowledgement. I could have given moreTips, but did not want to overwhelm you with too much info.
Half the battle with poker is NOT TO WASTE chips and not to get into an EXPENSIVE round of calls and raises when you don’t have the strongest of hands.
If in doubt FOLD as soon as you can, yes you will sometimes fold a winning hand ! but in the long run you will SAVE an awful lot of chips by folding early in a hand.
I suggest you might buy a book or two on Poker Strategy or follow video’s from YOU TUBE online… All the Best in your Endeavour IMPROVE and ENJOY your Poker.- percyveer.

2 Likes

Hi! I would offer this: If you are a decent player and are having no luck, or are losing with “winning hands” MOVE to another table or seat if one is available!

Learn the good starting hands & fold a lot as most hands dealt are stinkers.

Play like it’s real money out of your pocket!

Don’t go “all-in” before the flop (that’s called “Bingo”) and over time, is a losing bet.

There are many helpful books for those who wish to improve. Enjoy!

1 Like

Yes quite an accomplishment unless buying chips…that we don’t know as I don’t think purchase of chips is revealed to others…And I mean no offense to DP…He probably IS the best RP player!

1 Like

Exactly. Many don’t understand that you see things far more often in online poker that you see in a live game. Just remember that, and you won’t blame Replay or any other online site when things don’t go your way. Far too many think when they win, they’re playing great, but when they lose, it’s a rigged site. Mostly, they just play too many hands, and they don’t fold as early as they should when they don’t hit a hand. I think that some of my best plays have been folding strong hands that are hard to get away from. An example is this type of hand: AhAs you bet, but not enough to scare everyone off, flop comes AdTcKc. At this point pocket aces are ahead, but have to be aware of a flush draw on the felt. You check hoping the villain stays in the hand(personally think you should raise here and get a decent bet into the pot even if it scares them into folding). Turn is 9c, now really need to be aware of possible flush. You bet, and villain reraises, which you call(you should be on high alert at this point). River is another club. You make a pot sized raise and villain goes all in(most are just focusing on their cards and not what villains range might be). You make the call and villain turns over a club and takes your chips. With 4 clubs showing and villain continuing to bet, you have to be aware that a set of aces might not be the best hand, and that’s the problem. Many just can’t get away from a monster hand. It’s happened to me, and I’ve seen it happen to others as well. Same thing occurs when you’re holding a straight and haven’t paid enough attention to the board to realize there’s a flush draw possibility. It happens. Why? Because it’s poker.

5 Likes

BIGLOSER1 One thing I do to help me is make notes on players,such as solid player,great player, traps a lot, or donkey.

3 Likes

Thanks again everyone for the help, you are all wonderful people. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pray:

Leave your emotions at the door.

1 Like

Find the biggest, meanest guy at the table… walk right up to him and punch him in the mouth.

Wait… that’s for prison, not poker. Nevermind.

1 Like

Tip the dealer :joy:

1 Like

In a tournament, if you’re among the chip leaders, you’re better off dumping a good hand against one of the other chip leaders than challenging them with anything less than the nuts.

If you win, you may have a monster chip lead. But if you lose, you’re probably near the bottom, a few hands from elimination.

Meanwhile, if you dump the hand, you’re still in a good place and you can build your stack by taking out the lesser players on the table.

1 Like

Manage your bankroll.

If you’re a bad player, there’s not much that one “single poker tip” is going to change. But many players that aren’t really that bad still end up without any chips because they do not account for the ups and downs of the game.

Once I got beyond the very lowest of tables I would not move up to a higher level of table until i could afford ususally around 30-35 buyins at the new level. If i lost a bunch and dropped below about 25 buyins, i moved back down. You will get on downswings where you lose more than you win for days or even weeks on end.

You don’t ever want to be “scared money” at the table because better players will sniff it out quickly and punish you for the mistakes you’re bound to make. There are times when the right decision is to commit your stack, even when you don’t have the nuts (or even the best hand :slight_smile: ) or you might get sucked out on. You should have enough roll so that you can calmly reload and keep playing.

There are going to be situations where even if you you play everything correctly you will get stacked several times in succession. If you’ve put too much of your bankroll on the table at one time, those bad breaks - the variance - will wipe you out, no matter how well you play.

1 Like

Be patient and let your opponent make the mistakes not you.

1 Like

I find it hopeful when you say I only need to do the math until I no longer need to do the math. Cuz it ain’t my fave. :crazy_face:

as famous lyrics go
" You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em
Know when to fold ‘em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you’re sittin’ at the table
There’ll be time enough for countin’
When the dealin’s done
Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin’
Is knowin’ what to throw away
And knowin’ what to keep
'Cause every hand’s a winner
And every hand’s a loser"

Except that one should always know how much they have and how their stack relates to the blinds, antes, and other players. Kenny can sing, but poker… not so much.

2 Likes