Bankroll graph and my brief RPP bio

That’s really neat that you made a Chrome extension. I’ll stick with my spreadsheet since it’s already built, but I hope this encourages more people to generate their graphs and put them up here.

I did very well in my first 20 SNG’s at 25k buy-in this week, and I think my game is very strong right now. I’m probably going to finish out this month at 25k Astral so I can get the monthly bonus chips, and then if I’m still running this good I’ll move up to higher stakes in July.

1 Like

Sweet. You are playing much more conservatively than me lol :slight_smile: Probably to your benefit

Good luck!

Very neat utility. I wish I could write one like this, but never could get through Java Script.

My graph, a conservative line of play:

1 Like

My graph from the cool extension. The flat spots are the times i went on break, which seems to be a lot more than I thought.

1 Like

Wow nice tool! So much easier than trying to manually track results. Now all we need is for someone to make a HUD!

Very nice tool! I track my own bankroll and some other stats on spreadsheets, but this gives a very nice overview right at your fingertips.

I was on a nice exponential growth pattern overall, but i’ve obviously met my match in the last few months running into the top players, particularly once I started playing more at the 200k bb level. I had a similar but larger (percentage-wise) downswing for a couple months last summer which was around the time i started to hit the 40k tables, so i’ll just need to work at adapting and getting better still. Many holes to fill in my game - it’s up to y’all to find before I do.

Key is bankroll management. Only move up stakes if you have enough chips to absorb several losing sessions. i like to have at least 30x the buyin in the bank. preferably more.

From my other tracking -
1,975,000 is from daily bonuses,
93m (and change) is from tournaments
the balance (840m+)is from ring games, which is where i spend most of my time.

2 Likes

Cool, I’m glad it’s useful, nice to see other graphs :slight_smile:

v0.1.2 released (allow 24 hours for automatic update) with

• improved icon
  • more consistent grid lines and markers (an attempt, anyway)
  • click the toolbar icon to open the graph page in a new tab

@SunPowerGuru cool, looks like there was some activity during the break. I remember being jealous when you broke into the top 1000 at the start of the year!

@Dorkupine 40k bb’s would make me dizzy never mind 200k lol

@puggywug itm% analysis might be possible if you could check how many buy-ins match up with a prize for the same tournament?

40k bb’s would make me dizzy never mind 200k lol

That is why bankroll management is so important. To me, they’re just big blinds. I try not to change the way I play simply because of the stakes. (I may change because of the competition but not just because of the size of the bets).

I know I have enough in reserve that I’m not afraid to lose whatever chips are on the table and simply refill and keep playing when I do. If I feel i’m losing too much and start getting worried about it, I’ll move down in stakes for a while. You never want to be Scared Money or someone will sniff you out and eat you up, regardless of the stakes.

1 Like

Yep, 200k should be close to my max buy in right now.

I often push it to 250k or 500k for SNG/MTTs because I enjoy the play there. I think you get almost everyone taking it seriously there, and a deeper meta game emerges.

Anything 500k+ has usually turned out to be a “learning experience” for me lol…

I did do well in a couple of 1M tournaments though, and I remember having a similar mindset to what you describe going into those. Seeing it as a price paid to learn and not expecting a return helped me play and enjoy it better.

Now I try to have the same mindset with every game… trusting I’ll either profit in the long run, or learn and adapt!

image Here is mine though I don’t know what it really says about my play lol

3 Likes

I like it, not taking too many risks I see. You’re climbing equally and surely.

Lost 2m a couple hours ago, but this is ALL transactions, raw data, breaks in play are not represented… blue line is 5 weeks ago after a 4 month break …

1 Like

Fun read. Luv charts. Truer words about the game were never spoken:

“the conclusion it’s something like a mix between b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t, rock paper scissors, and stochastic chess…”

A lot of the former

Vn, what caused your first big dip? I don’t feel so bad now…

@ironsides I think it shows very sensible play!
@smaller lol… it can be one of the most enjoyable aspects for sure

I started out as a tournament player. I think that’s actually better then going straight into cash. It took me like 1 or 2 tournament to get how to play tournament at a decent level, then I started winning 1000 player’s buying tournaments, then 100000 buying tournaments. Basically tournament became a big joke. I lost interest really fast, and considered myself a poker god. Then I switch to cash, and to my shock I was beaten up every day all day long usually by the same players who plays a style that’s completely nuts aka(manic player) that style actually is extremely deadly against newcomer to the cash tables. Because back then defensive poker has not been invented. You easier go the maniac route yourself or get beaten up. I eventually lost all my chips, and had to spend more money just to play cash. It took me like a year just to learn how the maniac style worked and started to basically play like those players. and this is in the medium stack table, I can’t imagine how much tougher it was on the highest stakes, back then I felt all the players who play the highest stake are either billions or poker gods.

What I am trying to say is cash game is way harder then cash, in the degree of 10 to 1. Do not even try dabbling cash until you learn all the fundamentals and fundamental theories.!!

2 Likes

I started out and still play mostly only tournaments (and I also get beaten up all day at the higher stakes cash tables…) I think it took me 1000 tournaments to start to have a better idea what I was doing. Though it’s hard to know, just take a look at my graph recently :stuck_out_tongue:

I may have swung out of a local optimum in terms of strategy…

I added a table showing combined MTT + SNG stats to the extension… here are mine (I’m almost embarrassed to have played so many games… I would often play a couple of tournaments at the same time)

Check out how small my profit margin is, if the stats are correct!

what I figured out very early about tournaments is that tournaments are all about “survival”, so some of the top players will only play when their stack in around 100BB. For example, if you have the biggest stack then you must play more aggressively or move your opponent all in with a flush draw, such as a9 flush draw. But as a medium or low stack, you can’t really bluff at especially at the big stack, because if you are wrong you get eliminated! Hence the adage, “all you need is a chip and chair and anything can happen!” Also, most tournaments players like 90% do not understand optimal tournament strategy, therefore you can literally make a very strong hand such as top set, and then watch those players give all their chips to you! Hence the fold is the most powerful play in the tournament! I hope what I have just mentioned will help you, I also know its a bit abstract, but that’s what I figured out after I playing my second tournament.

By the way, the above rules do not apply to cash games, because if you lose all your chips you can just rebuy!

1 Like

How does maniac style work?

First of all maniac style is considered really bad nowadays with the advanced in defensive poker theory! also, know as gto. Some of the advocates of maniac poker have also adjusted their maniac style to fit with new trends, such as balancing your range, adjusting to how my opponent plays and most importantly using piosolver AKA(gto solver) as an analysis tool.

The proponent of maniac style are famous Isildur and zigmund and gus hansen. Isildur is one of the first to use overbet river as bluffing and value strategy when he first started using this strategy dumbfounded expert players and they don’t know how to respond. zigmund and gus hand will play there major draws like the nuts, the theory is, Since I triple barrel with my draws, it is hard for my opponent to put me on a draw, therefore I can represent set, if I don’t make my hand I will bluff him or her out on the river, and if i make my hand I will check 40-60% of the time on the river, to make my opponent think I was on some kind of draw and then trick my opponent bluff or value bet at my made hand!

We can go on and on about what maniac style really is, to be honest, I don’t even know what constitutes maniac style. If we look at maniac style, the pitfall of this strategy is that how do you know you as the maniac player is not bluffing at a made hand? you depend on reading your opponent tendencies, such as if he is a calling station. then I value bet, and if he is a folding station, I’m going triple bet river all in bluff! In laymen term, the maniac style is highly unbalanced, and if you don’t balance your range, you are setting up yourself to be exploited!

i hope what I said makes sense…

2 Likes

@moofish ,

I guess alot like Ilovecat , I only play’d MTTs till I got to 5.5m the 1st time… Then I dabbled in rings also… and I too , didnt make the shift properly… You ask’d what caused 1st dip… well thats really simple… —Hagia Sophia— :roll_eyes: . I ended up in a posistion where the correct play was to re-raise(shove), I just got beat ( it happens ). While I did get it back and then some ( up to 19m ) as you can see I crashed hard… I’ve play’d ring before on other sites, so it wasn’t just that… ( big crash ) it was a combination of making blonde mistakes and gett’n raked over the coals by bad beats. ( ohh and chasing loss’s :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

Effectively I have started over 4 times. Thats also why now I have over 1m in tickets, as an insurance policy to re-stake… I also figured out why I was stuck, and have corrected the problem. Beyond that, the make-up of players is starting to be consistent… therefore moving up a lvl or 2 doesn’t really change who you play against, just the amount of risk you’re willing to endure.

Moofish, I’m still and always will be, a Tourny player… but with the absence of elite MTTs, its natural to transition to high/elite Rings. @Ilovecat is right, Rings are in effect unlim rebuy tables, and won’t play like Tournies… You gotta realize that unlike lower level Rings, the elite players will “probe” you… as you move up. Before they accidentally lose 50-100m to you, they’ll “invest” 4-5m to play “into” you… just to see how you react, they will have litterally anything, so be carefull with your stack. Once they have a general read on you, you better be on your game.

@puggywug , I think “maniac style” reffers to playing extremely loose, usually this occurs when you are playing for such a low % of your bankroll that you litterally don’t care about loss’s or a few re-stakes (rebuys), but can occur @ anytime on anytable. Some players would call it a form of the “B” style play you see around here, just without open shoves, just big bets.

2 Likes