Badonk's Donks Stables Social Chat

I too feel somewhat inferior at times due to them being so dang good… but playing with elite players to improve my poker skills is one reason I won’t leave unless I’m asked to leave…BTW, I feel sure there’s plenty of room for players like us :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I would say everyone in our league is an above average player, and some are a few levels above that. It’s a good place to learn. And if you’re getting beat up right now, it might not seem very enjoyable. But I’d encourage you to go back and study the hands that you lost, and think about them from not only your perspective, but that of the other players who were in the hand. See if you can understand their thinking and why they acted the way they did. See if you can observe patterns in their behavior that you may be able to exploit. This is part of the advanced game, and over time as you develop a little familiarity with the players you’re up against, you’ll start to feel more comfortable taking calculated risks and making good plays. And that’s when it starts to get good.

2 Likes

im not a good player either but i had an old friend tell me if u want to get better, play with people better than you,ive done that in golf, cards,n all sports. rethink your chose stay a litte longer.what every u chose.be safe take care yud76

@yud76 I haven’t been seated at a table with you, but from what I have seen from managing the leaderboards, you’ve been doing great so far.

hey peek, just stay and play your best. last quarter i was 1 or 2 places out from making it to golden level. was going good until the last 2 games. as well it seems that my luck in the last 2 games in the last quarter are continuing. i will not give up and nor should you. you were not nominated by pure chance. PLAY ON AND ENJOY,no matter the outcome. Frank

1 Like

Ok, ok…I did join to better myself … to learn from all of u…I hope that u do understand that your play is something I look at and admire in other games. However, that being said, as a woman, I feel that certain discussions at the poker table could be a little bit more respectful. Part of the reason I decided to quit playing was due to the poker chat being so sarcastic. Maybe it is a play mode which is utilized against folks, I don’t know but I find it hard to concentrate when the sarcasm and references to the opposite sex start to ensue. I was muted two years for saying less than what I have heard on this league. I will not rat out anyone but on this forum, I am begging the gentlemen to remain GENTLEMEN…I admire watchiing your play mode and learning about your poker skills and appreciate your patience in re to mine. I will try, as Badonk has suggest, three more games …will see…thank you again for your encouragement and outpouring of advice.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Feel free to report or mute players who abuse the chat. I think we’re generally congenial at the tables, I know I’m one to talk, but let’s consider this a reminder to be kind.

thank you

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats this hand.

3 Likes

LEADERBOARD UPDATES AFTER OUR TOURNAMENTS OF APRIL 15, 2020
To view all 3 leaderboards for a league, first click on that league’s bold blue lettering below.
Then click on the LeaderBoard tab at the bottom of that screen.

GOLDEN DONKS - BADONK’S MTT 292
Participation: 77%

SILVER DONKS - BADONK’S MTT 293
Participation: 68%

HEE HAWL OF FAME - No tournament today

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience. There are so many women in this League (myself included) and I honestly don’t recall hearing any sexist remarks. I hate to think anyone would be intentionally insulting - but please DO say something if someone is! Part of the League is knowing we can play here and have fun and be among friends. I echo what everyone else has said about this being a place to learn the game. It has been a “master class” for me. I had no idea how little I knew until I started playing with this crowd.

And, for this, Weasle got 800 chips. Ugh! Those are the ones that haunt you.

Hey Peek, quite simply it is the best poker on site and I was overwhelmed when I first started. But, after playing in only 2+ quarters, my game has become 100% better. The players here are very good, yes, but they also are great people. Stick with it and like puggy said you’ll get familiar with the players and the game will come to you. As Badonk and others know, I am proud to be a Donk and always will be. You’re good, or else you wouldn’t be here. STAY

Honestly I was sitting at the table when at least 1st of these so called “sexest” statements occured … and there was Nothing at all “sexest” about what was said Period … I did not myself did not say anything except to ask what was the problem and other players chimed in also that were there and the player in question did give an unneeded apology adding “what did I say wrong?” … I understand that things are misunderstood but there was Nothing to be misunderstood here … as you stated @MCcats I have Never seen any type of “sexest” remarks stated here what so ever … I have personally been called some pretty “nasty” things when playing in regular Replay games (Some of the best by women lol) but Never once in a Donks game … To make that statement to me is a “crying wolf” deal and needs to be seen that way … Gee it amazes me that of the hundreds of games played in the Donk league by women the very 1st game 1st table this player plays some type of “sexest” remark was stated !!! The Donks League has some of the best Men and Women players on Replay as members and the level of play is top notch and I feel the the level of respect is the same … As we all know there are 2 sides to every story and I felt that the other side needed to be stated b/c to place any type of black mark on the Donk League that may have been a “misunderstanding” and is not justified does not carry water

Take Care of yourselves and I will try to do the same … The Goat

OK, at the risk of being expelled from the league,

I too was at the table where the ‘off color’ statements were alleged to have been made two weeks back. I could see where Peek may have thought one player was crossing the line with another – I quickly typed ‘hey, they know each other and have played many times, this is banter between friends.’ It was obvious she got offended, and the offender did apologize, though really wasn’t needed in my opinion.

fast forward to last night where again there was a slight misunderstanding at a table I was at – and I was a part of with same player. After some verbal fireworks, well, fireworks may be strong, we worked it out, but sometimes players, particularly new players, may not be in on the history between players and misread. Or as often happens, misread tone in a typed reply.

we’re not high schoolers (well I assume we’re not, never really checked!) and I have never seen sexist or perverse comments in the games. Plus, some of us speak English as our second language, so lost in translation can also happen.

Bottom line, newer players need to get a feel for the chat going on and understand some of the players may have bee playing with each other for hundreds of games. An innocent inside joke may be just that. this is a pretty good bunch of folks - not mean-spirited. And while we all can lose our tempers on a bad beat or a run of bad cards, we all enjoy the games and I think generally behave pretty darn well. And I’ve never seen anything I would consider sexist or racist in any way.

Stay well friends and keep playing. Life is too short. try to enjoy it

tom

3 Likes

The situation I am speaking about I believe happened 3 weeks ago … maybe there is a pattern here … just saying :face_with_monocle:

Unfortunately, we live in an age where the train to “Victim’s Ville” always has room. Not saying that’s the case here but in my day-to-day life and work experience it does seem that there’s a ton of people out there in society just looking for a reason, and apparently the most innocuous reason available will do, to claim their supposed birthright of “victimhood”, climb aboard this train (no fare required), and effect to capture the sympathy that such spotlight can bring to their own personal pity party. And while, again, not accusing this person of over reacting, there is a volume icon on the table for every player. If you don’t like what someone is typing, simply mute that player and press on with the game. I have done this regularly with one specific player I find annoying. Nothing sexist, nothing racist, nothing Trump. Just annoying. So anytime I’m at a table with this specific player, I mute him right away. Done. Problem solved. Perhaps she could try this approach.

Having said all of that…of course if there is proof that sexist comments were directed AT this particular player, then yes, the offending player should be removed. But I just think that claiming that a player is being mean to another player is a little out of bounds. We’re all adults here. If the player who is so-called being offended does not take offense? Well, that should be the end of the issue and that train can roll on past the station.

5 Likes

Replay’s Chat Rules
It’s unfortunate that this needs to be addressed, but if you are not aware, Replay applies the same rules to the chat in the Donks tournaments as they do to all the games on the site. So if they see a reason to take action against any of our members for abusing those rules, they will do so.

1 Like

All good discussion. Good point that a newcomer to a table might not know the history between two players and misinterpret what they are saying. But I would also say that no one imagines how they feel - whether insulted, embarrassed or uncomfortable. We all need to own our sensitivities - but also respect that other people feel the way they feel. Which has nothing to do with a particular cultural climate. Welcome to the League, Peek. As you can see, we all feel very comfortable talking to one another with frankness, insight and humor. Send a friend request to anyone here if you want to ask questions or get clarification on anything. Or make a new friend! They will accept it.

3 Likes

LEAGUE CHALLENGE SATURDAY 4/18

PAL (Poker Amusement League) has decided not to continue playing team poker so The Donks and TPP played together with 9-member teams. The Donks carried the day by getting 6 players to the final table including crum1850 in his first team game! Also bringing in the points were sugarblossom, ghomer, chuckcox, 12beat22 and Panther101. MCcats, boyd2 and ChicagoSerbs helped along the way - and Goatsoup was there if we needed a sub. (Forgive me Team if I got the final table slightly wrong - I can’t read my notes!). The League is restructuring a little for this quarter so, for now, we aren’t keeping a running point total. Go Donks!

2 Likes