A question or two about Pre-flop betting

My apologies, thought it was on Hold’em. :zipper_mouth_face:
I play most Omaha as if its PL, but no… you’re right
usually you won’t see me shove’n preflop either.

Sir, I have been doing ok in the Omaha games… If I can get playable hands, I think I play them right. So do most of the high stakes players. I always complain that I am rivered more often than any one else, it seems.

LOL, what is a bingo player… I’ve seen one, she’s 80 and goes out on a bitter cold Thursday night from 6pm to 10pm to sit in a smoky room with 120 other 80 year olds to win raffle prize oven mitts and give her hard earned SSC check to what ever “charity” is running the game. UGH! As far as the poker table goes, NL = no limit, so if the game is no limit and it can’t be two things then it’s not bingo.

P.S. if you’re never open raising or 3! pre with AA23ds in no limit O8 hi lo then you are doing it wrong.

1 Like

Passive players like you get rivered a lot because you don’t play aggressively enough with your strong hands and you allow your opponents to draw out on you by giving free cards or a correct price to call.

Dayman, you might be right . However I do very well when I get playable cards. too big a bet would scare most out. Only those who feel their pocked pair would call. Who gets trips first? Me sometimes and another other times. When the other bets a lot I can fold without losing a lot of chips. Thank you very much for your thoughts and gl at the tables. Rob Anthonisen rob777

lol

Sir, they call those that raise almost every time it is their turn bingo players. I have looked up many of them. so far 26 have something in common. They all have the same number of friends. ZERO. They ruin the game and I think that must be what they are trying to do. The rules do not preclude that there should be no bingo players. We must live with them . I have knocked them out more times than they knocked me out. I think you knew allready about those low-lifes. Rob Anthonisen rob777

1- NoLimit is NoLimit.
2- Any limp/bet/raise preflop is what u call “Bingo”. ( I don’t usually ) Even tho you are only talking about preflop All-Ins, I am not. Betting preflop is always the biggest gamble.

They are not ruining the game, only using a strategy that , well… you and others are uncomfortable playing against. Part of poker is intimidation. Making your opponent(s) uncomfortable, on the hot-seat, or any other negative you wanna use, is 1 way of inducing Mistakes, that then you capitalize on. Add to that Leaderbaord strategies that preclude any 1 hand (rings) or any 1 MTT/SnG, and its a recipie for some players to play very aggressively. Plus many ppl just call this “bully’n”, because the Chipleader ALWAYS has the advantage, thus can attack the table with almost impunity. ( till they lose 2-3 big hands, or more )

Who cares if someone has 2-3o or AA, in NoLimit(NL) you are allowed to bet up to the size of your stack. Its up to your opponent(s) to correctly determine what/why/how you are playing, and play accordingly. Of the 4, NoLimit, MixedLimit, PotLimit, and FixedLimit, NL offers the most complete way to try and protect a good hand, on ALL streets.

@Rob777, please extrapolate for me/us… how and why you believe they ruin the game ??? Maybee I can learn something, but to just say they ruin the game with no explanation… to me seems, incomplete.
Sassy

2 Likes

You should want this. Thin the field and play pots HU or 3 ways. Pots are much easier to play and you’re going to coolered less often and realize your equity way more often. If your opponents are folding too much just increase your bluffs.

@love2eattacos gives good advice and you lol, anything constructive to add to that?

I’m not even going to comment on your statements about bingo play… @Sassy_Sarah got you there.

1 Like

What the heck does that even mean ??? " got you there " , sounds like you did decide to comment after all. ( the classis no comment comment :roll_eyes: )

Jesus, I just meant I agreed with the response you gave regarding his comments on “bingo play” and that I had nothing to add. You’re always so confrontational, why?

1 Like

Why then do so many bingo players have no friends? I have looked many up and found 26 with no friends. By the way, I need no instruction how to play and bet. I think I know the best way for me. It may differ from other players, but as long as it works, it does not matter. I have won more tournaments than most on here. I must be doing something right. We all need good hands to do well. We get runs of them sometimes as well as very few sometimes. …

dayman

November 16

alt Rob777:
too big a bet would scare most out.

You should want this. Thin the field and play pots HU or 3 ways. Pots are much easier to play and you’re going to coolered less often and realize your equity way more often. If your opponents are folding too much just increase your bluffs.

@love2eattacos gives good advice and you lol, anything constructive to add to that?

I’m not even going to comment on your statements about bingo play… @Sassy_Sarah got you there.

I don’t think anyone here is advocating for raising preflop every time, “bingo style”. That approach doesn’t win you chips or friends.

On the other hand, if you never ever raise preflop, you’re like a carpenter who refuses to use a hammer. Yes, you can put in a nail by smacking it with a screwdriver, but there’s a better way to do the job.

1 Like

I do raise preflop in holdem. Not all in just 1 level. In omaha you must get a flop to have a chance to win. Those who make big bets preflop in omaha usually have 6 figure ratings.

The same is true in Texas Hold 'Em. Preflop equity edges are lower in Omaha Hold 'Em than Texas Hold ‘Em, but they do still exist. As a result, strong players will exploit those advantages by betting when their hand can reasonably have an edge over their competitors’ hands, even preflop. Multi-way pots are hard to navigate postflop, and even harder when your competitors could have a broader number of draws than in the Texas variant. Best to thin the field early with large preflop raises when you have a strong preflop hand.

Whatever works for you is what you should do. My way has been working fine for me. As I noted earlier, I most likely have won more tournaments than over 90

WannabeCoder
Volunteers

November 18

alt Rob777:
In omaha you must get a flop to have a chance to win.

The same is true in Texas Hold 'Em. Preflop equity edges are lower in Omaha Hold 'Em than Texas Hold ‘Em, but they do still exist. As a result, strong players will exploit those advantages by betting when their hand can reasonably have an edge over their competitors’ hands, even preflop. Multi-way pots are hard to navigate postflop, and even harder when your competitors could have a broader number of draws than in the Texas variant. Best to thin the field early with large preflop raises when you have a strong preflop hand.

If you don’t raise preflop in omaha, do you call raises? If you do, wouldn’t it be better to be the one raising? If you don’t, then your play is exploitable to anyone paying attention and I’m sure you’ve folded the best hand on many occasions. Some of the best omaha players often raise preflop.

I have seen only a few and most good players I have asked, agree with me. I have folded hands which would have won if I saw the flop… 38 10 king unsuited. Flop comes kk3 oh well I say.

bahia7

November 19

alt Rob777:
I do raise preflop in holdem. Not all in just 1 level. In omaha you must get a flop to have a chance to win. Those who make big bets preflop in omaha usually have 6 figure ratings.

If you don’t raise preflop in omaha, do you call raises? If you do, wouldn’t it be better to be the one raising? If you don’t, then your play is exploitable to anyone paying attention and I’m sure you’ve folded the best hand on many occasions. Some of the best omaha players often raise preflop.

I guess I assumed you knew I was talking about good starting hands. You would only find me playing the above hand if it limped around to me in the blinds or I was forced in by blinds. We have all folded bad hands and then had them hit. I folded 72o in a hold’em tournament today and flopped a full house. It doesn’t mean I made a bad fold. I’m just saying that folding your best hands preflop because someone makes a raise isn’t a good idea.

1 Like

Bahia… I was big blind once with 72…

What do you know, flop was 772 lol

I think I checked but long ago I do not remember. Only that I won the pot lol

bahia7

November 19

alt Rob777:
I have folded hands which would have won if I saw the flop… 38 10 king unsuited. Flop comes kk3 oh well I say.

I guess I assumed you knew I was talking about good starting hands. You would only find me playing the above hand if it limped around to me in the blinds or I was forced in by blinds. We have all folded bad hands and then had them hit. I folded 72o in a hold’em tournament today and flopped a full house. It doesn’t mean I made a bad fold. I’m just saying that folding your best hands preflop because someone makes a raise isn’t a good idea.