A Memorial Day reminder

Originally known as Decoration Day to remember the horrible costs to both sides of the American Civil War, the name (and purpose) was changed after WWI.

This is the USNA Glee Club’s remembrance with the Navy Hymn and with the USS Arizona Memorial as background.

9 Likes

Thank you for your Service and Sacrifice. :pray:t2:

Craig
United States Marine Corps Retired.

7 Likes

And here, performed in Grace Cathedral (because listening just once isn’t enough).

5 Likes

Semper Fi, Craig.
Jan, I saw that one and liked it, too. I was really hoping to find the version sung by the Navy Men’s Choir for the old TV series “Silent Service.” Alas, it doesn’t seem to be anywhere.

When I was a regular visitor at the USO around the corner from the US Grant Hotel in San Diego, singing that hymn was the opening ceremony every weekend day. Then, we’d play pinochle.

6 Likes

As many in he USA enjoy their family get togethers, picnics, travels this Memorial Day weekend, take time today to remember our fallen: “And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.”
~Lee Greenwood, “God Bless the U.S.A.,” 1983 ♫

8 Likes

A grateful nation salutes you.
We will never forget :pray:t2:

Semper Fidelis…

10 Likes

Beautifully said Craig. As a Navy Corpsman to Marine Semper Fi.

7 Likes

Semper Fi my brother and thank you !

5 Likes

Yw and ty

5 Likes

Never Forget. Semper Fortis

6 Likes

Deleted by me. I’ll save this memory for Veterans’ Day in the fall.

4 Likes

Honor those who gave all so that we may be free

9 Likes

Thank you to everyone who served our country.

7 Likes

To the many Heroes, past, present & future…“Never Forget”…Thank You for your Service!

Marine Corps Air Station, Middle River, NC

6 Likes

Thank you Marc and moonmanld my pleasure

4 Likes

Bless Alan … We Miss You …Please Remember and Think of All that Gave Their Lives for the Senseless Violence and Senseless Carnage that Continues. Grow Up People on Earth !!!

4 Likes

imagesthisisthe best

Thank You to all that served

5 Likes

WE OWE THEM ALL

4 Likes

All gave some, some gave all !

On this Memorial Day we remember all the members of the military that gave their lives in service to their country. I cringe when folks say “ Happy Memorial Day “ it’s just about the saddest day of the year :cry:. I thank you and a grateful nation salutes you .

Semper Fidelis
Craig

7 Likes

Thank you to all that served & paid for every free breath we take!

Memorial Day

9 Likes