To Bluff or Not to Bluff, That is the Question

I think it depends on what is meant by “information”. If the only thing somebody is thinking is “I need to find out where I am” when they bet, that is mistake. But there are many sources of information in poker, and just by playing normally, betting will give you a lot of information.

A couple of examples: If I am heads up with J6s and my opponent limped preflop and the flop comes 582 rainbow. I will probably bet the flop because I think it is likely my opponent has nothing. If they call, I gain information that I am almost certainly behind, but if they fold, I know I was right. This example is a bluff that could also be called an information bet because it tells me where I stand.

Or: I limp to the flop from late position with KT and the flop comes 9K9. The action checks to me, and I bet half pot. In this situation I could be ahead or way behind. Because it is Replay, somebody has the 9 and raises 2x pot, and I fold. In this case my bet was for value because it was possible that I had the best hand, but I used it to obtain information that I am behind and should fold, so it is also kind of an information bet that prevents me from losing more chips.

yes nice points both of you.
the information betting i use i also what you mean if you already have some information that you probably are good but just need a bit more to be sure enough.
imo betting when you don’t know anything at all is a really bad strategy indeed because you lose way too much money that way.

This is chip, not cheques. You will always find somebody willing to call to the river regardless of their hand or the board. Bluff only when you have the chips to loose to a river rat.

want to say i have made some extra additions into my bluffing guide.

i have deleted the pre-flop bluff category and replaced it into much more a specified version of it, also i have added a few preflop bluffs to the list.

hope u all like the things i added. yiazmat.

Bluffing as a Strategy

Coming to Replay after playing several other sites the first thing I noticed is how much bluffing and outright Poker Bullies that Replay has.

It almost seems to be the status quo here and I think the reason is that there is no risk on a free chip site and players reward and enable the bluffers and Poker Bullies.

I have discussed strategy for countering a Poker Bully in my other article but I think we should discuss when and when not to use a bluff.

Types of Bluffs:

There are 3 generally defined types of bluffs.

• Quick bluffs
  • Semi-bluffs
  • Stone-cold bluffs (or naked bluffs)

1- Quick bluff: Used when your opponents check and show no interest in the flop and the risk is low. A small or medium bet here might get you a quick fold and pot.

2- Semi-bluff: used when you think your opponent has a weak hand and you have a stronger possible such as a pair to trips or two pair hit or straight or flush hit. You are bluffing but actually betting on the possible hitting in this situation so a medium bet will either get you a fold or keep you in the hand to see if you hit on the turn and river.

3- Stone cold bluff: Used rarely by advanced players- this is when you have nothing on the flop or a valuable possible and you think your opponent hit but you use your stack value to scare off your opponent with a big bet usually bluffing on an open end straight or flush. This is a high risk bluff and usually ends badly but occasionally players get away with it.

Now let’s discuss when not to bluff:

Most of the time you should not bluff without a solid possible on the flop unless it is a low risk bet with opponents that you are pretty sure did not hit and show no interest in the flop.

Bluffing too often will get you called and expose your bluffs and once you are exposed bluffing you will lose respect for your bets and people will be more likely to call and stay to the river reducing your odds of using a good bet on a solid hand to take a pot early.

Don’t show your bluffs like you are proud of bluffing someone off a better hand.

All that does is expose that you are bluffing alot and will likely put a target on you for revenge by that and other players.

Do show your good hands occasionally

The reason for showing a good hand after a bet gets you a fold on a flop is to show the players on the table you were not bluffing so they should respect your bet.

You don’t have to do this every time but once in awhile and that shows people you are hitting and is likely to get you more folds when you bet or bluff.

Here is a very good article on the styles of bluffing and when and when not to bluff: