The Juicee Basics

Hello Players,
I wanted to share a little basics of poker with anyone interested. Let’s start with Table Position first, This chart shows a basic 9 person table. UTG is same as EP = Early Position, Middle is Middle, & HJ & CO are same as Late Position.

Next we have a chart showing percent’s of pre-flop hands & the chance of them winning
(KEEP IN MIND THIS IS PERCENTS BEFORE ANYONE CALLS & THE MORE PLAYERS THAT CALL OR RAISE THE MORE THE % WILL DROP!!!)

Now combining the 2 charts above we come to the next chart, this one tells from your position & cards what the most common action should be… aa aaWhether or not a pot has been raised should be a very important factor in your decision to play a particular starting hand. Your selection of starting hands should change when the pot has been raised by a reasonable player. If there has been a raise and a re-raise before you’re due to act, then you should only consider playing with a very strong hand. Of course this will also depend on the personality types of the other players and whether the game is very loose or passive… Beginners can treat starting hand charts as the gospel, but once you know enough about the game to recognize appropriate opportunities, you can deviate because your adjustment may represent a more profitable play.

Conclusion

Don’t fall into the trap of playing any two cards. Most poker players want to play hands and as a beginner it’s very easy to be seduced by suited cards or picture cards, or any two-card holding that contains an Ace of a King – but if you play hold-em correctly, you’re going to be selective and toss away the vast majority of hands you’re dealt.
When you gain more poker playing experience you can begin to open up your range of starting hands – but until then, proceed with caution and only play the best hands. Loose, promiscuous play will get you into trouble and is the downfall of many players. Now what is range??? Well here it is in a shell of a Nuts
☼ ☼ ù ☼ ☼ ù ù ☼ RANGE IS >>>>>----- Often used to refer to a grouping of starting hands, usually in the context of speaking of an opponent’s likely holdings. For example, if a tight player decides to re-raise a pre-flop bet, that action likely narrows his “range” of possible hands. If he keeps betting on later streets, that further narrows his possible hands depending on how the community cards come.
When discussing strategy, it is often more feasible to talk about an opponent having a “range” of possible hands than a particular hand. That is to say, it usually makes more sense to conclude from an opponent’s betting that he has, say, “a range that includes big pairs and high cards” than to pin down precisely one particular hand he might have…
There is a total of 169 non-equivalent starting poker hands in Texas Hold ’em, which is composed of 13 pocket pairs, 78 suited hands and 78 unsuited hands.

I WILL POST MORE SOON, TRY THESE BASICS OUT AND GOOD LUCK AT THE TABLES!!!

8 Likes

Terms You’ll want to know…

OESD - An open-ended straight draw
Limper - The first player who calls a bet.
Limp In - To enter the pot by calling rather than raising.
Loose - Is a player who plays a lot hands.
Nuts - The best possible hand at any point of the game. A hand that cannot be beat.
Bad Beat - When a hand is beaten by a lucky draw.
Check-Raise - When a player first checks and then raises in a betting round.
3-BET - A 3 bet (also re-raise), is the third bet in a single betting round. - 1) Bet → 2) Raise → 3) 3-bet/raise
Chasing - hoping an upcoming community card will “hit” to complete a so-far unmade hand
Fish - a novice or poorly-skilled player, expected to lose money (AKA Donk or Donkey)
HU - or Head-to Head: aka “Heads Up”
Turn - the fourth community card on board, following the flop
River - the fifth (last) community card on board
Slowplay - playing a powerful hand as if were weak to disguise its strength and “trap,” players into the action
Standard Raise - typically, three times the big blind
Suck-out - to hit a longshot draw, typically on the river
Under the Gun - the first player to and is to the immediate left of the button
Value Bet - betting a hand that is not a sure thing but, that over time will win more than it loses
Bumhunter - An online poker player who plays only those players that are perceived to be weak
Calling Station - A player that tends to call frequently, rarely raising or folding
Equity - value a player has in, example a player has a 60% chance to win $100 their equity at that point is $60
Nit - A slang term for a very tight player, that only plays high value hands (AKA Rock)
Out of Position - When a player has to act before his opponent (s) in a betting round
Outs - Cards that can improve a hand to win example, if you have four cards of one suit then all other cards of that suit are outs to complete your flush
Set Mining - Having pocket pair and hoping to get 3 of a kind by river
Value Bet - A bet made by a player that is hoping to get called because they expect to win
Rake - Money taken from a pot by the house at the end of each round, as payment for running the game
Juice - A slang term for rake

5 Likes

Great information. Very well done.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I love this thread. :+1:

2 Likes

Very Sorry I made an error on question 6’s answer, reposting with corrections since I was unable to edit

Knowing probability’s & percentage’s will help you make better bets, raises, & folds pre flop.
so this quiz will help you learn to make better choices before the flop…

POP QUIZ HOT SHOT- YOU NEED TO GET 6 OF 8 RIGHT TO PASS TEST

Question 1) What is the probability of a “rainbow” flop – that is, one containing three cards of different suits?
about 40 percent
about 66 percent

Question 2) What is the probability that a flop will contain two suited cards (e.g., Kh-9c-3c)?
around 35 percent
just over 55 percent

Question 3) What is the probability the flop will come “monotone” – that is, with all three cards the same suit?
a little over 5 percent
just under 20 percent

Question 4) What is the probability the flop will contain three consecutive cards (e.g., 9-8-7)?
just under 3.5 percent
about 8.1 percent

Question 5) What is the probability the flop will contain at least two cards ranked ten or higher (i.e., 10, J, Q, K, A)?
about 11 percent
just over 23 percent

Question 6) What is the probability that a flop will arrive containing a pair (e.g., K-9-9)?
about 5.9 percent
about 16.7 percent

Question 7) What is the probability of the board showing three of a kind on the flop (e.g., J-J-J)?
about 0.24 percent
just over 2.5 percent

Question 8) Finally, what is the probability that the flop will come “all red” (i.e., contain only hearts and/or diamonds)?
11.76 percent
26.33 percent

Some Answer’s are rounded to nearest percent’s

1) 40%
2) 55%
3) 5%
4) 3.5
5) 23%
6) 16.7%
7) 0.24%
8) 11.76%

5 Likes

fun math quiz :+1:
have 2 say it might be an idea to put the wrong answers closer to the right ones, got 8/8 by doing the math just roughly. but anyway it was fun to do :slight_smile:

See Disclaimer
Knowing what Hand has a better winning chance can help you decide if you should stay in a hand.
The following 8 questions will help you see if you can correctly identify the most likely winning hand based on turn & river cards. Passing is 6 correct or better.
Question 1
Which is the better bet?
To make a straight by the river after flopping an open-ended straight draw
To make a flush by the river after flopping a flush draw (i.e., four to a flush)

Question 2
Which is the better bet?
To flop a flush draw (i.e. four to a flush) when holding two suited cards
To flop at least a pair when holding two unpaired cards

Question 3
Which is the better bet?
To be dealt two suited cards
To be dealt an ace (i.e., any A-x hand)

Question 4
Which is the better bet?
To win a pre flop all-in with 7♣-2♦ versus A♠-A♥
To win a pre flop all-in with K♠-K♥ versus A♠-A♥

Question 5
Which is the better bet?
To make a flush by the river after being dealt two suited cards
To be dealt a pocket pair

Question 6
Which is the better bet?
To be dealt A-K (either suited or unsuited)
To be dealt a pocket pair tens or higher (i.e., A-A, K-K, Q-Q, J-J, or 10-10)

Question 7
Which is the better bet?
To be dealt A-K suited
To be dealt pocket aces

Question 8
Which is the better bet?
To flop quads while holding a pocket pair
To flop a full house using both of your two unpaired cards
Answers Below, Just Click

1) To make a flush by the river after flopping a flush draw
2) To flop at least a pair when holding two unpaired cards
3) To be dealt two suited cards
4) To win a pre flop all-in with K♠-K♥ versus A♠-A♥
5) To make a flush by the river after being dealt two suited cards
6) To be dealt a pocket pair tens or higher
7) To be dealt pocket aces
8) To flop quads while holding a pocket pair

It might be a professional deformation of mine, but I always like to know the sources of what I read.
I hope you’ll forgive me if I ask you if your questionnaire is your own production, or you referred to a specific poker source. If the latter is the case, may I enquire about your sources?
Just curious. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

i have to say the quiz is actually too speculative. please define “better winning chance”
is this about HU or multi way? is this about raw equity or better playability? is this about fish, sharks, unknowns? etc.

for example:

in question 2 you mentioned at least a pair is better then a flushdraw, which is true in a HU situation, but when in a multi way pot i gladly take the flushdraw over a randon pair.
however in question 3 you recommend the suited cards over teh rag ace, which would be true multi way, however HU i would rather get the random Ax card

hope this helps,
yiazmat

1 Like

Hi & thanks Yiazmat, I see I wasn’t clear (And thank you for asking) this test Is on “Odds Probability’s” And all these hands are 1 on 1 against each other. I will try to be more thorough in future. No excuses. see you at the tables.

1 Like

Erm… Juicee, you might have not noticed, but I asked you a question… But maybe your sources are top top secret. In this case, I can understand your lips are sealed.
Along with a general curiosity to know if your quiz came from an authoritative source (it is always interesting to know with whom we are comparing our poker knowledge), I was puzzled especially by the question no. 8.
I didn’t understand it, but it is certainly my fault.
Which is the better bet?
To flop quads while holding a pocket pair
To flop a full house using both of your two unpaired cards

Does that mean that a player who flops quads, instead of screaming hooray, might think, what a pity I didn’t flop a full house, because that would have been the better bet?

Or what does “better bet” mean?

1. yes I noticed, That is why I sent friends request, I want to talk first.
  2. Yes source is Verifiable (although people can always find contradiction I suppose)
  3. Odds of Pocket pair to quads is .25% or 407 to 1
    Flopping a full house from two unpaired cards is almost a miracle .09% or 1087 to 1
  4. Since 1 has a pocket pair & the other has 2 non paired, the “screaming hooray” is not something I have the ability to answer.
  5. “Better Bet” means - Better odds probabilities, I will send you a mail today, I have a lot of things I’m trying to finish. Hugs :slight_smile:
1 Like

Thanks! LOL I knew I had mistaken the question. I was joking :slight_smile: It seemed highly improbable to me that it could be referred to the bet after the flop.

1 Like

How about these basic expressions as well:

A player “has position” on opponents acting before him.

A player is “out of position” to opponents acting after him.

3 Likes

I like them, Thanks Maya :slight_smile:

1 Like

BASICS OF POSITION
(Thanks Maya for bringing this up)

Why is table position in Texas Hold’ em important?
Table position is important because it is going to be incredibly useful to be able to act after our opponents.
The actions of your opponents is going to help you a lot, as it gives you a strong indication of the strength of their hand.
Lets say you are up against one opponent after the flop and you have not managed to improve your hand. If your opponent checks to you, you stand a good chance of being able to run a successful bluff, because you can Infer from their check that they are weak by not wanting to bet out. However, if you were the first to act you would have no idea of whether they are strong or weak, because you have not had the opportunity to see what action they are going to take.
You really want to try and avoid playing hands from early position, that is unless your hand really is too good to fold.
That was a pretty basic example, but the theory can be applied to almost every situation in poker. So if you can see why position is important from this example alone, you have already come a long way in developing your game.

As a general rule:
You need a stronger hand to play out of position than you do when you are playing in position.
So basically, if you are going to be one of the first to act on each betting round, you will want to stick to playing premium hands like:
•AA
•KK
•QQ
•AK
•AQ
•JJ
However, if you have good table position and you are going to be one of the last to act on each round, you can comfortably open up your starting hand range to include the following hands (along with the hands listed above, and assuming that there hasn’t been too much action before you):
•AJ
•KQ
•AT
•KJ
•TT
This is all because of the fact that being out of position is going to be quite a big problem, and it is going to make the hand a lot more difficult to play. Therefore you will want to give yourself a much better opportunity to win the hand by only the playing better cards, and avoiding the ones that are likely to get you into trouble.

1 Like

Thanks juicee.

1 Like

You are very welcome :slight_smile:

thank you for your dedication of making a chart and writing about your thought on the subject. I think what you did is very helpful to beginner players. THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND EFFORT!

2 Likes