Find the cities! A rebus-like puzzle
Each question has two or more word definitions. Just join the answers together to come up with the name of a city.
- Negation of a verb + Silvery-white metal + 1/1000th of a kg + Prosciutto (10 letters)
- “I” in French + Symbol of Ruthenium + Witch city (9 letters)
- Not old + the heraldic colour gold + slants (3 and 7 letters)
- Small metal container for food + Surname of an acclaimed Yogi (8 letters)
- Insane + Unburden (6 letters)
- Antonym of subtract + Exists + First vowel + A famous fictional Ali (5 and 5 letters)
- Decay + Latin for thrice + Dike (9 letters)
- Nottingham (ye ha)
- New Orleans
- Addis Ababa
Stuck on 4 and 5. Anyone know them?
All correct, Grape! Well done! The choice of Nottingham was not quite accidental.
Brava, Maya (I won’t EVER be able to say “bravo” to a woman. That’s the Italian in me! LOL) Both correct!
Eight poker terms are hidden in this mixed bag of puzzles
Hungered Nut (5 + 3 + 3 letters)
For the answer, combine the words indicated by the clues (7 + 7 letters):
Vocation + Victoria or Waterloo
This answer is hidden in the sentence below:
I didn’t want to go to the party, but Tony told me many great people were supposed to be there (6 letters).
This answer is hidden in the sentence below, but reversed:
A 4,8 magnitude earthquake has hit Sicily near Europe’s most active volcano, Mount Etna, injuring at least 28 people (4 letters).
Figure out the answer to this cryptic clue (6 + 6 letters):
Twice a jogger
For the answer, add a letter to the word indicated by the clue and anagram (5 letters):
Stimulus + E
Riddle (5 + 4 letters):
As impenetrable as that of the Sphinx
For the answer, add the missing vowels (8 letters):
Under the Gun
Poker (not sure about that one, think it is wrong)
Wow! Great, Kate. All correct except no. 6.
Pork is certainly a stimulus to me, especially in form of prosciutto and salami, but it’s not the word I was looking for.
This word of 4 letters means an incentive, but is also a device for a rider.
The first two are easy.
- Drogon, from Game of Thrones
- Smaug, from The Hobbit
Third one though … no idea
Both correct well done
one left to be guessed.
saphira, from eragon?
not 100% sure about the actual scenes, but i’ll give it a try:
1: S7 where drogon meets jon snow
2: the desolation of smaug, where smaug starts interrogating bilbo
3: where saphira shows her first fire breath
Eight cryptic clues for eight words, all related to the Forum
- Still today, some Romans love to argue in this square (5 letters).
- Reproach? Detector, from what one hears! (7 letters).
- Costumes with different motifs? (7 letters).
- Figures going back and fort (5 letters).
- When inebriated, these martyrs can have some spots on their conscience (6 letters).
- A misanthrope has been seen in the antique washateria (5 letters).
- Vasarely’s art goes west to meet this competitor (8 letters).
- Sorry about the broken pearly necklace, they repeat (6 letters).
To make it easier I’ll give you a couple of letters.
- . o . u .
- c . . s . . .
- . h . e . . .
- . t . t .
- s . . n . .
- h . . . r
- o . . . n . . .
- . e . l . .
Tough one Miri, still trying to figure it out.
2 cursing ?
I think 2 is censure, rather than cursing. Still working out the others.