The fairness debate

Needed the laugh - thanks and well done! I have to keep reminding myself not to question the matrix. Better not to think about the reality and just enjoy the show.

1 Like

I just wish I had money play few live tournaments or bunch friends just play once a month something like that, but its hard to get together when everyone is busy.

I can take it one more step and suggest that itā€™s a specific cartoonā€¦ The Roadrunner.

So the next time your cleverly laid schemes end with the roadrunner eating all your seed on the river, just picture yourself standing there, fur half burned off and blackened, clutching the wire which is all thatā€™s left of whatever Acme sold you, and just give us your best coyote smile and type in chatā€¦

ā€œBeep Beepā€

1 Like

LOL - I had just written this on another thread a day or two ago (Post Hands). Hereā€™s the part about Roadrunner:

Still, having the dang donkeys in the trap up to their ears and watching them escape over and over again is ā€œspecialā€. Just played with someone who couldnā€™t win a hand if he wasnā€™t hit squarely in the face with the entire deck. Had him dead to rights again and not only does he call off almost his whole stack with Q5o. he makes trip Qā€™s on the river. LOL. No worries - noted and will be looking to join every game he signs up for until heā€™s broke.

1 Like

Beep Beep!

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/443528699

Earlier today, Alec Torelli posted a great video that is highly germane to this thread. Everyone complaining about how the pRNG is rigged against them (never in their favor, of course) should watch it.

1 Like

A computer generated RNG can never actually be random and that is why the certification only says it is unpredictable not random.

The problems with any pRNG over time is if you get a multiplicity factor and entropy factor.

Part of the reason is there are only 52 cards not an unlimited possibility of combinations.

You will see this when there are hours and days when almost nothing but top cards are dealt or all lower cards are dealt for long periods of time and then a day where the deal is so scrambled that no player could ever hit a flush or straight for many hours and then you might get six 4 card flush hands or straight runs dealt in less than an hour.

This hand is a great example: https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/442883255

Any mathematicians want to calculate the odds of that hand being dealt?

I could get deep into the weeds of why this happens through entropy and we would have to address Einsteinā€™s theory of relativity and quantum mathematics but my suggestion is when you are seeing that happen and it is not in your favor- get off the tables and it will self correct in the next few hours or by the next day usually.

Everybody has bad days on the tables and remember your best day is someone elseā€™s worst day

Good video!

Though technically not ā€œunlimited,ā€ there are a fair number of ways you can arrange a 52 card deck. The actual number would be, 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000 different ways.

4 Likes

Well, you did the math (apparently!). lol

wow!

ā€œThe total number of possible hands can be found by adding the above numbers in third column, for a total of 2,598,960. This means that if there are 52 cards, how many combinations of 5 cards can be drawn (answer 2,598,960 combinations).ā€

https://www.chemical-ecology.net/java/possible.htm

I think SPG calculated how many possible sequences of 52 cardsā€“the WHOLE deckā€“not just a 5-card hand. Nothing else could yield a number that high.

2 Likes

Crazy limped 3-way pot and 3-way chop in a 100K SnG: https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/443650696

Almost put this under Hand to Review because I canā€™t figure out what people are doing here - the old limp 'n call thing I guess? Everything about hands like this one is odd. Could also have gone under Biggest Mistakes thread. Too short stacks, no pressure from the big stack and lots of flat calling trying to make their hands.

Me. Iā€™m the one the rig favors. I donā€™t know ā– ā– ā– ā–  but I somehow get more and more chips?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Blackjack

Just another day at the office: Top 2 pair vs top set on the flop - https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/444167427

I donā€™t go looking for hands like these, they are everywhere at all times at all stakes - I look in on a table to see if I want to join and usually I see something like this within 5 minutes.

1 Like

:rofl: right, it happens with every hand. its just sad.

1 Like

I was dealt 33 three times in a row today!

AND I didnā€™t win any of those hands even with trip 3s lol!

1 Like

How about turning the action down so that the river doesnā€™t kill the best hand 4 out of 5 times? I mean really - every freaking hand Iā€™m dominating with is killed by a 2 or 3-outer. AK vs A8, clean to river than an 8. AT vs A4, clean until river than a 4, Top 2 pair no worries until river fills a gutshot. Overpair vs pair, runs out to a flush matching 1 of his cards. I get that this is a goofy place but the actionā€“o-meter is on 11 and its getting old.

1 Like