The biggest mistake that players here make

Haha, seems that way sometimes, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Yes it does. I think it might work, but only if you are playing against me. 2 and 3 outers are like sure things against me. I have a lot of work to do on my rungood.

1 Like

I don’t even know what to call this mistake. How can you fold for 315 more chips?
https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/439435305

See this type of thing a lot - really, what could you possibly be folding?

Ha, the true biggest mistake here: having bad rungood.

For just 315 to get all in and try to win a 4,275 pot you have to have less than 7% equity to fold so you are right that most hands are going to be making a mistake to fold. Even if you had just 5d4c you are going to have 9-10% equity because of the backdoor draws, and it’d be correct to call. There are some hands that are right to fold though - for example if we assume that the flop bettor has at least a pair of tens then if I have 6c5c then I have less than 5% equity and it’s ok to fold. That would be my guess here - the preflop raiser was trying to steal with some junk, totally missed the flop and then just gave up facing the tiny flop bet.

1 Like

LOL - its so true. If you aren’t making your 75% hands, its tough sledding here. How would you feel about losing this hand: https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/439452020

I see a lot of this same type of thing though. 5 people call an open raise and 3-bet so the pot is huge. Flop comes and the SB leads out for 1BB and 4 others fold. WTF? Its the strangest thing that some people are willing to pay any price to see a flop but not 1 more BB to see a turn. I also see people folding in tournaments for fractions of a BB - places where they need any 2 cards against certain AA, they fold. I of many interesting things you can see here and another good reason to take it easy on the serious.

2 Likes

Ouch. Without any rungood skills that’s basically a coin flip. Should’ve just folded preflop instead.

Agreed on the folding for 1BB. In a tournament around the bubble I can see some sense in preserving every fraction of a blind if you and several other players are short stacked, but you have to take some risks at some point to try to win.

1 Like

You’re telling me! The other part of runbad is always managing to have the guy in the BB show up with a real hand when I’m trying to steal. I can’t tell you how many hands I’ve run into AA, KK, AK, AQ … Its unnatural I tell you. I do a lot of shoving medium strength hands like Q9s from the SB in cash SnG’s and maybe run into 10-20% of the types of hands I’ve seen here. Heck, earlier we were down to 3 and the BTN opens, SB shoves and I have JJ. I shove over trying to isolate the SB but BTN calls. He has KK and SB had 99. Just how do I keep seeing these hands match up that are pretty rare everywhere else I’ve played? Juiced deal or just a very long run of very odd hands?

As I am typing this, with 10BB after a bad beat a few hands before knocked me way down, I shove KQs and guess what the next guy has? AA - OMFG! I’m sure its a random deal - well not that sure TBH. Sometimes tables run overly hot to not question the action. Wouldn’t be the 1st play-chip site to juice it up some. https://www.replaypoker.com/poker_table/open/4581306?active=true

SnG right before then, shoving 10BB with KJo into AQ: Hand #439541746 - Replay Poker

Seriously? The chances of all these hands meeting each other in 1 night are beyond tiny. From huge pots with rivers that are all someone’s gin card to people having the exact same hand 2 or more times in a row (even same suits) and all other goofy stuff. I’m leaning more and more to it being juiced up.

Last one: Heads up and more hands match up. It hasn’t happened this often in 1 night anywhere I’ve ever played before: Hand #439563979 - Replay Poker

1 Like

Definately juiced hands…thats what takes place in the program.

1 Like

My final hand in this one, a few hands after being crushed by QQ. Again short handed to my AK. These things happen once in a while anywhere else but nothing like this place. I cant even keep track of all the other hands I’m not in but look at and shake my head. I’ve seen more unlikely hands here in my very limited 21K hands than I have in 5 times+ the hands I’ve played online cash. I’m done being curious about it - I’ll take it as juiced and not surprising.

https://www.replaypoker.com/poker_table/open/4583443?active=true

I’ve played 120k hands on Replay. Of my top 10 hands (as displayed on my “hands/top hands” page) 4 are Royals, and 2 of these were flopped. 4 are king high. 1 is Q high, 1 10 high. I know I have made more straight flushes than that.

I also know I have folded hands that would have made straight flushes, though I don’t know how many. I do remember at least 1 hand I folded preflop would have made a Royal, and there might well have been others that never made it to showdown.

I don’t know the math behind this, but it does seem to suggest that big hands are more common than would be expected.

1 Like

I don’t know all the odds but just using times I’ve seen people all in with the same pair gives me more than a little reason to be suspicious. People having the same pair should happen about 1 every 3000+ hands at a 9 player table. I don’t know all the ones I haven’t seen because they didn’t showdown but I’ve seen same pair all-ins happen multiple times per ~100 hand SnGs. I should have seen about 7 examples in my 21000 hands and I’ve seen more than that in the last week. IMO, its juiced for action.

Good basic article on what to do from the small blind with limpers ahead of you: https://dandbpoker.com/magazine/a-common-spot-where-i-fold-where-you-probably-do-not

3 Likes

The biggest mistake all players make is “over playing pocket pairs”…

2 Likes

Treating strategic betting as THE skill in Poker. I believe Folding is more difficult (egos?) to use for the greatest benefit. However, when betting my full house aggressively, players express disbelief by calling! Gotta know when to fold.

Here’s another odd one - players limp in any Ax and then bet pot at any flop with an ace in it. Doesnt matter if its A3o and there are 5 players in the pot. Now what exactly is going to call them that isn’t 2-pair or better? IMO, if your hand isn’t good enough to open with, then fold it. If it is good enough to open, then open raise it. Limping, combined with all the other post flop nonsense has to be a top-5 mistake.

Don’t remember if anyone had this or not but its another big one - allowing yourself to get too short stacked in tournaments. At some point you have to go into push/fold mode and that isn’t when you have 2.5BB left.

2 Likes

I agree, so then your raise eneds up being 3-5x the bb, and guess what… just like you’ve said in other posts… ppl around here just won’t fold… now you’re putting in chips and you’re effectively back @ square 1… lets keep going on that… so you start with 2500 15/30 blinds… you “try” to play 3 hands in 2 orbits other than your blinds which you fold. so, ummmm 45+45+45+3( 5*30)) thats 585… 2500-585 is 1915 left … I can tell you right now that 5x raise doesn’t even do the job, usually it has to be 8-12x to achieve the correct outcome ( 1-2 callers, everyone else folds )… so then its 45+45+45+3( 10+30)) or 1035 … so 1465 left …

I’m think’n you’re saying prolly around 600-900.ish is that point where you go into push/shove mode, and 1465 isn’t too far off from that. Now if thats costing you 2 hands + 2 blinds per orbit, thats either 450ish or 750ish per orbit, even without blinds increasing we could call that 4.2 orbits without winning a hand, while playing 2 hands per orbit of the 3 flops you might see… and your gone… it might only take 3 orbits to get to 6-900ish, or is playing 2 of 9 hands per orbit, playing too many hands ?

So where does that leave us Comic… when you sit @ a Ring table the default is 125 BBs usually… whereas a MTT with 2500 starting and 15/30 blinds, thats 83.3 BBs but severly decreasing with the increase in blinds … even going to 20/40 means your 83 BBs are now only 62 BBs… and thats a so called regular, non-turbo, MTT … I’d like to know just how you expect ppl to play “abc” or “correct” poker, when if you don’t win 1 of the 1st 2 hands you play, your already on the road to shortstacked. So what exactly is your solution to this problem ??
Sassy

1 Like

Another mistake I see a lot is trying to bluff someone who doesn’t look past their own cards.

Open to 6BB, get 1 caller. Flop is AcQc10s. Bet half the pot and get called. Turn is the 9c, bet 1/2 pot and get called. River is the Jc. The board is now Ac Qc 10s 9c Jc.

Bet the pot and get called… by 5h 5d. I mean, really? SMH

And no, I wasn’t in the hand, but wow! There are some people you should never bluff.

By the way, I never bluff because I consider it to be dishonest!

1 Like

In cash turbos, you play a ton of them and don’t care about the bad beats. Volume takes care of that if you play enough. Here? I suppose the same thing but I don’t know if it works or not. There are just too many callers on each hand and pots get so big so fast that you are playing for stacks with meh-hands pretty quickly.

As to shoving in tournaments, if I’m anywhere near 10BB, I’m looking to get it in. If I’m at 10-20BB, I’m looking for a place to re-steal and shove over an open or several limpers. That’s at least how I play cash. Its weird here because people call so lightly. I’ve been called by Q5s for someone’s entire stack. Huh? Makes you wonder what hands you can really open when no one folds - lol.

I don’t have answers. Its a weird game being played here. I’m sure people can get used to what’s going on and develop great strategies o play against it. I’m just trying to take the puny amount I know from cash and try it here and see. Honestly, I just want to have fun and not drive myself nuts.

1 Like

I think this is the key to it here too. Keep getting your chips in good and in the long run you will win. Sometimes you will lose those spots where you are a 2:1 or even bigger favorite, but most of the time you will win and can end up with a commanding stack.

2 Likes

It does wear on your nerves after crazy hand after crazy hand. Try this one out: https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/441844843
Flop a set, turn a full house and lose to a higher full house on the river. LMAO.

Its all day every day. I don’t want to sound like a broken record but the site is flatly nuts in the hands we see. It would be easier to chalk up the losses to simple variance if there wasn’t an oversized amount of it going on. I see a months worth of strange here in any given week.

Have another one - who calls here with 5/3o and floats the pair of 3’s to the river? I even have the Ad for the nut flush so I knew he wasn’t on that draw. LMAO pt 2: https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/441872330

1 Like