Taking a Break

Hey guys, I know it’s been a while since I’ve contributed, or even been on the site. Unfortunately, it’ll be a few more weeks until I’m up for playing more poker and continuing to submit blog posts.

My son Evan was born May 5th with a variety of health issues. While healing from a surgery to address some of them at the beginning of July, he had a heart attack. He was taken off breathing support yesterday morning, and died in my arms, with my wife cradling his head, five hours later. His passing was peaceful; he was not in pain at the end.

Being a player on this site and getting into poker when I did has helped me enormously throughout this whole process. Understanding variance and low-probability events has given me the fortitude to deal with extremely bad beats with grace, in poker and now in life.

The past few weeks have been filled with hospital visits, doctors appointments, and surgeries. While those are no longer going to take up all of my spare time, it’ll likely be a few more weeks until I can get back into some semblance of a daily routine, much less back to the virtual felt. Thanks for being here when I’ve needed you. I’ll see you all again soon.

3 Likes

Our thoughts are with you and your wife Sam

Love Kate xx

3 Likes

Sending you much affection and support, and hoping your hearts will fully heal. Jan

1 Like

So sorry to hear of your loss my friend.

2 Likes

I’m deeply sorry for your loss, Sam. Thank you so much for sharing what’s going on with us. I’ll be thinking of you and your wife.

2 Likes

Wishing you and your wife, hope in the midst of sorrow, comfort in the midst of pain. I’m so sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss Sam. You and your wife are in my thoughts.

-Marc

2 Likes

acceptance is the answer…

1 Like

Deeply saddened. May God give you and your family the strength to heal from the situation.

1 Like

Deepest condolences to you both! Thank you for sharing! I hope doing so lightens your “load” by allowing others to share and support you at this time. I’ll be keeping you both in my thoughts and know I send healing energy your way each day. Know you are not alone in this journey and that folks stand ready to assist/support you in any way they are able. Just ask.
Peace be with you,
Ron

2 Likes

Thoughts & Prayers of comfort.This is heartbreaking. I am so sorry for your precious loss.

2 Likes

i’m very sorry for your loss.
take all the time you need to mentally recover from this very bad news.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about your sad loss, no parent should ever have to suffer the loss of a child, thank you for sharing, my sincerest condolences to you both and do feel free to message me if ever you feel the need for a chat.

1 Like

Such a beautiful child.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I don’t have the words but hope you, your family and your beautiful child will all find peace.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. Reading your replies has been tremendously comforting.

This thread was intentionally titled “Taking a Break.” I do intend to return once I’m able to get my head back in the game. When that happens, even if you’ve been so kind as to leave your thoughts and prayers, don’t expect any mercy - I’ll still be gunning for your chips.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes