Sit outs

Well Maya, thier money went into the prizefund, not a total waste.
I bet every pro football team hates there’s 1 play that TomBrady/Patriots seem to make work 99% of the time… I bet thats frustrating to them too… but they gotta overcome that. Heck even teams sitt’n on a lead, is frustrating to watch … or the golfer thats 7up with 3 to play… you think they take unecessary chances, heck no they don’t… should we make a rule to force them to play more aggressive ? ( NO ) Maybee Replay just shouldn’t represent ppl as “away” , and let ppl guess if they are there or not, when they fold every hand.

I agree with you Maya more than you know, I just know if you pay to enter, how you use your chips, or don’t use your chips is totally up to the player. Its annoying to me too.
Sassy

( note to staff : will Replay ever implement a “hand 4 hand” system like other poker sites do @ bubbletime ??? )

actually, that doesn’t sound really logical to me.

if they are sitting out, it’s like playing the table with one less person. so i would actually rather play more agressively instead.
if they are on the blind i would doing even more so, it’s literally free money thats laying around. for example: you are on the BTN and it’s folded to you. obviously you would steal here anyway with a wide range of hands, but now even wider. normally you need to scare away 2 people, now you just need one.

don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying you should keep raising like an idiot, i just mean adjusting like you would when you play from 9h to an 8h table. or from a 6h to a 5h table. so it’s actually a minor adjustment, but imo the adjustment fits more to get a little more aggressive instead of passive.

the only exception is when the table gets (too) agressive when this happens, clearly you need to play tighter if so, but that’s not an adjustment to the player sitting out, it’s an adjustment to the remaining players being more agressive.

long story short: i would like to alter my play to be a bit more agressive, just the way i would when one player leaves.
and when there is no increased aggression on the table, you could steal the blinds with a little wider range assuming the player who sits out is in the blinds

1 Like

Upon reflection, I think I have uncovered the root problem here.

As I pointed out with impeccable and irrefutable logic, there is no difference between being in a tournament and folding, and being away and folding. The simple truth of this is unassailable, yet several have said that both of these are “annoying.”

To my nearly perfect logical male brain, this seemed an odd position to take, until I set aside logic and considered it from the swirling mists of emotion. This was, of course, very unsettling, and quite outside of my comfort zone, but I was determined to get to the bottom of it, so I pressed on. I laughed, I cried, but was steadfast and eventually realized that is was actually about control.

Women, though generally pleasant-smelling and jiggly in all the right places, have an innate need to control the actions of men. Of course, this has been true since Eve insisted that Adam include fruit in his diet, but it explains a lot. Those who are “away” are obviously beyond control, and this is the fundamental source of the irritation.

In real life, one might just hold the woman close, gently stoke her hair, and murmur “there there, it’s going to be alright” until she settles down, but this isn’t an option here. There is another way to resolve this, however.

I suggest you stand, feet shoulder width apart, one hand on your hip. As the action gets to the away player, point authoritatively with the other hand and say in a loud firm voice, “FOLD!” This should restore your illusion of control and make everything alright.

I hope this helps, no need to thank me.

4 Likes

The general idea is to not put your tournament life on the line until they blind out. Of course you will attack their blinds if isolated against them.

1 Like

Of course there is a huge difference.

A person sitting on a hand may fold or stay or raise and if you are smart you have a read on that person and will adjust your game to take advantage of their patterns.

A sleeper completely changes the dynamic and goal of the game and instead of being about playing poker it is about how to take advantage of those blinds when they hit that sleeper so you can get a no risk fold.

Of course everyone else is trying to do the same thing.

That is no longer holdem and you are chasing a blind.

Or maybe you like being the sleeper and not playing or taking any risk?

Either way most poker websites I have played use a sitout timer so players can take a break but not abuse the sitout and I have never yet heard anyone complain they miss the sleepers lol!

1 Like

hahaha great :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

ok, i suppose we agree then :+1: . have to add they usually blind out (far) before they can get in the money. but i assume you are referring to the fact it’s easier to survive with hem in for the free blinds and there usually no need to make desperate actions yet

I was specifically talking about final tables, or close to final tables.

In earlier stages of the tournament, away players have very little, if any, influence on the way I play. Even at final tables, their influence is slight.

1 Like

well the idea is to get the sleepers chips into play…This site is not all within WSOP rules is it? Free chips poker has its own rules…really at the end of the day its a game an entertainment.

The fact is the same agreed if he folds every hand if hes at the table (which ofcourse wont have if hes at the table there would be playable hands.)…but.understand your logic of him being there and not playing at all or in away mode.Yes that would be correct.
The point here is we playing for money,leaderboard position- which is weekly,montly and yearly…so truly sidestepping playing players and moving forward as a sleeper dampens your position.and many a times
its few points here and there where in you get a bonus of 100k or 200k…

Ive played on many sites before and there is a boot rule in all of them …starting the game and not playing the game after being seated.
True that if a sleeper had just 900 chips on a final table the consequence means nothing but 29000 chips was a stack of 3 players combined and for sure impacts the final outcome.
Yes there is a situation where in one wants to gobble the sleepers blinds and pays the penalty for trying to do so with a loose hand…

Talk of passive play in a 50k tourney? doesnt happen its become more of a 5k tourney with constant bingo calls and players filtering from 1k/10k/14k tables.new players everyday and calling total bs hands and i dont know what it is that the dealer obliges them with those calls.Thats another story i dont want to get into it.
Most times i have to say the more stupid you play you are rewarded…

All im saying given the site and its points system it would be advisable to have the player booted out if not playing.

But what happens if I say: “PLAY!” and they don’t play? I’d be devastated! :fearful:

2 Likes

Good stuff SPG! LOL!

why?

So if you have a sleeper on the big blind following you and all players fold and you have crap you would fold and let the sleeper win the hand right?

Of course not and that gives an advantage to who ever is ahead of that sleeper.

Players on a BB have last bet around and that is changed when it is a sleeper you know is always folding.

That is the reality and is why most poker websites use a sitout timer.

To avoid giving other players an advantage by chasing the Sleepers binds.

Ok, I have gave my opinion and I don’t expect to change yours.

Win big!

And they get NO points, your beef is it costs you points potentially.
Yet has little impact on any monthly/yearly MTT LB. ( best 7 weekly, perhaps )

We have that here Jazz, its the level 3 rule…

I have tried this here on replay, enter a tourn… if for some reason I’m allowed to win my BB so be it, but I have folded every other hand. I did not even get close to the final table, but I did place in the top 40% for t-pts. Never play’d 1 hand. I haven’t tried it in a 9ppl SnG yet, but I suspect it might get close to cashing. This was done alot on the micro $$$ 9 ppl SnG tables @ FullTilt. and you had to find ways around it, so these ppl didn’t “cash”. (legally)

I can say this when you have 4 ppl left, 1 sitt’n out… the other 3 aren’t too hip on letting that person cash, especially if its for actuall $$$… even for t-pts here, ppl will be ruthless about gett’n them out… Yet it boils down to the fact they paid for thier chips, who are you to say how they can use them.

SPG was specifically talking about 1 player folding every hand… versus… that same player being auto-folded outta every hand… there is no difference. I’ve even seen newer players giving a walk to a grey’d out person, and laughing my A off …

Yes @jazzbythebay , @Maya … it bugs me too, especially early on when you play 4 handed instead of 6 handed … or when chipleader is “right” of the grey person and scoops most of his BB cause noone wants to attack him… Even when the grey person makes the final table, and I get 10th place, I want him gone instead of me… but then I think about it… I shudda play’d 1-2 hands better not to be in this boat… or I shudda wasted more time so I still outlasted him… and ohh yeah, he won those chips to get here, he deserves it perhaps…

Whenever I see topics that are close to evenly split “opinion wise” , I take a step back… and look @ it from both sides… more often than not, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one … even if that means it goes against my opinion. I think its completely illogical in NASCAR for 42 cars to be on the track, yet only 12/8/4 are fighting for the Cup… why not just have those 12/8/4 racing ???

@Maya , if you are that concerned about every last t-point , wouldn’t you also award points after the MTT, so the player that busts out, before the lvl 3 sitouts are removed, gets credit for placing higher up… once they are removed and get 0 pts as if they had never played ??? not only that, but awarding t-pts after also fix’s the fact late registration does skew t-pts for those who might go out in the 1st few hands on a extreme bad beat… because the calc is based on # runners, and only after late registration ends are the total # runners are finalized… what about “hand 4 hand”.

I am trying to point out things that others might not have thought about, “food for thought” , “things that make ya go hmmmmm”… What happens if they ammend the rule, and somehow you still get hosed because the blinds take you out 1 hand before the ammended rule kicks in and boots the person… do we then ammend the rule yet again ?? …

Whether its bubbletime, or a final table, the object is to stay above the bubble/last spot… its frustrating when a grey person is higher up the food chain, but that just means you prolly play’d 1 too many hands you shouldn’t have earlier. Is it any different, if that “transfer spot person” is just folding every hand, and chatt’n up a storm, and you know they can outlast you “blinds wise” ??? Or when the ChipLeader suddenly goes silent and now all of a sudden the 3 short stacks have to attack each other, rather than hoping the ChipLeader does it for them ???

As a few have said, there are many reasons why a grey person is grey, most of them are not nefarious in design, the current rule takes that into account. I think the hardest thing I have had to battle while playing poker, was my emotions. lett’n things out of my control adversely effect my gameplay. Time-wasters, Bingo-players, Grey ppl, Late reg, bullies, button pushers … ALL of IT , let it get under your skin and your finished. You cannot play good poker “scared” or “angry” … you just can’t.
Sassy

1 Like

First of all, what I said was that if it’s legal to fold every hand when you’re there, why should it be illegal to NOT be there and fold every hand?

Away players add dead money to the pot, which changes the pot odds and should stimulate action a little. An away player will fold to a limp, a player there but folding every hand will usually at least see the flop from his BB, and there’s at least a chance he will play if he flops hard enough. There are slight differences, but that wasn’t my point. The point was that if one is legal, the other should be too.

As Sassy pointed out, if you let things like this bother you, you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage. It’s better to accept it, find a way to exploit it, and profit from it.

1 Like

You either want to play holdem or you want to play chase the sleeper blind.

They are not the same game and it would be “better” for Replay have a sitout timer just like most poker websites use to prevent people from exploiting it to their advantage.

You can talk about your “feelings” I guess but doesn’t change the fact that without a sitout timer it screws up the dynamic and goal of the game and apparently is being used by some people here to advantage themselves and disadvantage others.

Something Replay management should look in to IMO.

Hahaha. How could anyone debate against such sound logic?

If you are going to quote me I would appreciate it if you would use the entire quote.

I would also suggest Replay look into a few people using multiple accounts as I suspect you have some players here doing that. It is more common in cash games but they do it on free chip sites to practice their routine so they don’t get caught when they take it to a money site.

Pokerstars got busted for that and is one of the reasons I no longer play there.

It is too bad a few cheaters have to ruin it for everyone else.

SPG i would have to agree with u, it adds dead money to the pot and as far as advantages or disadvantages to certain players this is not true what Bigdog says. Every one on the table has equal opportunities to either capitalize on sleeper opportunities or not, the ones that know how to do that do and ones that dont dont, its another thing have to learn, is the tactic how u play with a sleeper person. Realisticaly speaking, this really doesnt happen that often and on a 250k and up tourney it rarely happens so it is more isolated for low and medium MTT than high ones. Also after all that sleeper player did pay his buy in and won a lot of chips so he has the right to donate it to all the other players by blinding out slowly. Not only is he giving opportunities to capitalize on taking his blinds but his buy in also is added to the prize pool being higher so its a win win no matter how u look at it. These people probably had something to do and had to leave so why should they be punished for paying their buy in and winning a lot of chips, im sure they woulda loved to stay and play with a high stack the rest of the tournament. it comes down to dealing with it like SPG said and capitalizing on it looking at the positive factors i mentioned instead of the negative. if it means u placed one spot less oh well, u probably woulda place the same or worse had he not sat out and played his high stack. This is rare in high stakes, dont know about low stakes, if it happened a lot in low with multiple players every game doing this then i can understand, but is till only an advantage and not a disadvantage to the other players and is still poker and holdem, just another part of it that u have to learn and deal with making opportunities out of it. As far as multiple accounts from other players u cant play more than one account from the same domain so im not a tech guy and dont know how they would get around that, and does it really matter unless both their accounts are played in the same tourney. One more thing about the sleeper players, understand that their are just as many if not more that are greyed out for whatever reason and didnt make a lot or any chips, these sleepers will bust out early and is only an advantage to all players in placing better and a higher prize pool from their buy in. It is all fair game and just deal with it when it happens, Like SPG said it doesnt affect my game at all either, i look for capitalization opportunities when this happens. And to this point it is a part of the game of holdem on this site, like it or not.

2 Likes

It advantages the person preceding the sleeper on the blind and it completely changes the dynamic and goal of the game.

That is why most poker websites especially those that have money tables use a sitout timer.

I guess if I am wrong so are all these people?

WSOP Takes Aim at Stalling With New Clock Rules

" Over the past couple of years, a number of poker tournament series have taken steps to speed up the pace of play and prevent stalling. The World Poker Tour implemented the Action Clock, a tablet-like timer set into the poker table in front of the dealer, in its WPT Tournament of Champions .

PokerStars has introduced “shot clocks” in nearly all of their tournaments at $10,000 and higher, starting at PokerStars Championship Bahamas . The ARIA High Roller series was among the first to utilize timers and time extension chips with the Super High Roller Bowl.