Losing

I just wanted to let you and anyone else feeling the poker blues that as I had stated earlier having a game plan does in fact help your game 110%. I want to say first that I am not posting this to brag in any way, shape, or fashion how-ever I just placed 1st in my 2nd Bankroll Builder Tourney since I took that time out to regroup and instead of feeling that I would surely collapse from a heart attack over the anger I seemed to always have towards the tournaments I would loose, I felt a renewed exciting hard to contain feeling of surley dropping dead of heart failure over the big money I was finding myself winning including 1st in a mill doll tourney!!! So pls do not quit the game of poker do take that time out and focus at what you can most assuredly accomplish!! Again good luck and may your bank over flow with a bountiful hearvest!

4 Likes

Yesss!!! Kudos!! congrats & Way To Go!!!

It usually helps to focus on the things you can change… And it seems like you have mastered that art!

1 Like

I used to be really really bad, but I got pretty gooD from plaing a few games, best of luck hope you get to win next game :3

Actually, the weird thing is that I think people on the site should be playing much more aggressively, and thus more willing to put chips at risk. Instead, players seem scared to show aggression and put more chips than the minimum on the table, which is why there are so many “flats” pre-flop. What’s the best way to counter that mentality? Substantially limit the range of hands you play (medium-to-high pocket pairs, high suited connectors, the occasional offsuit broadway hand), and play them much more aggressively.

My goal is to win chips, which is how I’ve been able to build a bankroll of 5.4M chips without purchasing a single one. In order to do so, I’ve invested a fair bit of time to understand optimal play, as if I were playing against a computer. Playing against human players, which have sub-optimal play, makes collecting those chips even easier. I’m happy to share the things I’ve observed and learned, which will often be fairly stats/maths-intensive, given the nature of poker as a probabilistic game.

As far as the advice offered on the forum, I think it’s usually of pretty good quality. Then again, most of the people posting advice on the forum come from players with high bankrolls, which generally (but not always) indicates a level of poker skill. Of course, you can always use the “smell test” - if it smells good, work it into your game; if not, either ask probing questions to understand why it smells the way it does (perhaps it’s an acquired taste?), or take it out with the week-old garbage.

1 Like

Interestingly, that’s pretty much my strategy. Well, in that I tend to check/raise l when I hold those cards and then get more (or less) aggressive as the hand plays out. I try to take into account the style of the other players as well.

I’m coming up on a personal milestone- $500k in the bank soon (ring game winnings and daily bonuses only- I’m intimidated by tournaments- and unless I blow it all tonight). I made a bunch of stupid mistakes the first couple of months I started playing- chasing impossible hands, stupid bluffs, etc- but now I win more than I lose due to figuring out the style of play you describe.

1 Like

Well I have just lost 25k playing on various tables.
After taking advice ,being paitent, not calling so often ,playing tight etc.

Ihave not had a win in like well over 70 hands.

This is unbelieviable really, & i;m a cautious player!

Have tried changing tactics i.e playing more agressivly etc.

NOTHING WORKS

So long Replay .

P.S playing for severall years & no chips.

I;m 65 yrs old & not stupid!!!

70? Not anything? I can play twenty or so without picking up a small pot that still doesn’t cover my calls. Though it’s on the extreme side, it’s not that usual for me to go through seventy hands before picking up a win big enough to put me back in the black. That is discouraging, I agree.

A player can have a great hand- four of a kind- then everyone else folds and the player only picks up a few lousy chips. But then they can have a low two pair and everyone is betting on their pair of kings or aces and that player can walk away with an ok pot.

But the big money maker hand is when the other players at the table have straights or flushes and you’re sitting on a full house. That only comes around rarely. One in Seventy sounds about right to me.

You should play Omaha and hi/lo. This happens so frequently there it’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

I thought I would check some of your hands to see how/why you’re so “unlucky” and the first I ran across was Hand #399261800.
After leechlake made that massive bet on the flop I would have definitely folded considering the flop showed T K J.
JJ is not a bad hand but that was a very risky call…even if you had hit another J on the turn or river.

I know it would have been frustrating to fold your pair of jacks bud, but there were several potential monster hands after the flop. Had you folded, you would have patted yourself on the back and felt good about your fold after seeing the river.
Before you make your mind up to just quit playing poker I think you should consider studying up on the game strategies.
I can tell you that after I started studying up on the game only a couple of months ago my game has improved twofold at least.
If you’re like me and only read when you have to, check out Daniel Negreanu’s youtube channel.
In fact if you do a YT search for “holdem poker tutorial” you’ll find ample advice.
That said, it might be a good idea to wait a week or so to let the frustration subside :relaxed:
Good luck my friend.

3 Likes

Seventy hands is little fishy. Did you try any malpractice. Like bots, more than one login, check and raise or something like that.

very well said @GrandyB

i took a look at it as well and would like to add to it that each and every point you called you should have folded instead:
1: you called in early position with J8. J8 is already a poor hand to begin with, i would be very hestitant to play it even on the button. but in early position it’s one of the easiest folds the are.
2: after lots of people limped in there was a strong raise of 6,5 BB’s. not only that, there were even several people who decided to call anyway. now your J8 should be looking even more ugly then in the beginning, but still you called with it.
3: on the flop there is a donkbet right away and there are still 3 people after you who still need to act. and all you have is middle pair with a bad kicker on a high and wet flop. meaning there are an extremely high amount of hands that beat you here because there are lots of reasons better hands could be here. but even with all those signs you aren’t only beat, but crushed, you still called.
4: there is a big all-in after you and someone who called the all-in. both signs they probably hold a monster, yet you called all-in again with a bad hand.

long story short: like grandy pointed out, you mentioned to be playing cautious, but this is as far from it as it can be.
the best advise i can give you after seeing this is to try calling WAY less. try folding the majority of your hands, and when you decide to play a hand (that’s really worth playing) then raise it.
would also like to add to all this that your table is making similar mistakes as well, but that only means you will get even much higher profits when switching to tight aggressive instead of loose passive (loose passive play is generally the worst possible play style)

hope this helps, yiazmat.

2 Likes

What is it with searching a player’s history, picking a hand and criticizing their play as if that one hand represented the thousands and thousands he has played? WTH.

DId okiato-fisher not also say this… “Have tried changing tactics i.e playing more agressivly etc.”?

Is it a Rep thing? Do Reps feel like they have to use these tactics to discredit anyone who suspects the RNG?

Let’s be clear here.
The RNG may be fair. And it may not be fair.
Other than the people who see the code, nobody has anything other than anecdotal evidence either way. And that definitely goes for the Player Reps.

If someone presents one of their hands and asks for opinions, that is one thing.
But please stop cherry-picking people’s unflattering hands in order to discredit their opinions on the RNG.
The corresponding action would be for someone(me) to search the hand history of those Reps and then post and ridicule their worst plays, and trust me, there are plenty.

Yeah, no excuses for stupid play except to say that after 3 or 4 or more orbits on a 9 table and no hands worth playing I get bored & have a go at something that is very marginal &HOPE.
Also when a good hand is dealt ,say a high pair then the flop is very often not helpfull. So I stay in but usually loose to a better hand.

I guess this is where luck comes in .

Thanks for the advice,am playing much tighter now & although I dont win often at least I dont loose as often either.

status quo!

3 Likes

I didn’t cherry pick…I picked the last hand he’d played (and no others).
I’ve been following this thread since the 1st post and this was just my effort to try to help.

1 Like

That’s good to hear…I can tell you I’m losing a lot less now that I don’t try to play every single hand…and now occasionally get to see my profit/loss graphic green instead of red. :relaxed:
Good luck!

1 Like

i understand,
hopefully you get your luck back soon, keep the tight play in and eventually you will gonna start winning again.

gl, yiazmat.

imo you did well. your information was good and the fact you picked a hand that was a huge fail (even if it was just the last hand) can be a big eyeopener. and besides of that, you clearly posted it with good intentions.

one of my downswings a while ago, i couldn’t find out why i had so much bad luck for quite a while. until someone posted a hand replay in here where i was raising and calling like an idiot with a queen rag hand that missed, at the time my mind was probably clouded by tilt and all kinds of complicated but misapplied thoughts were in my mind, but after a while when i saw the hand replay i thought by my self what the hell was i thinking?

the downswing was real, and so was my bad luck. but the fact that it kept on going was because i was playing like a moron.

so for what it’s worth, i think you made a very good post.

3 Likes

Yup-- that’s me! Especially on 9-handed tables
I learned poker in home-garage tables, usually a family game of 5 to 6 people. that allows a crisp play and better odds for lower ranked hands…

When I transitioned to 9-handed tables, I lost and Lost and LOST!!! I was still playing 6-handed odds! So now I try to play mostly 6-handed MTTs,

If there is a particularly enticing MTT, like the Bust the Staff today, I review the 9-handed odds before playing!!!

Ya’ll come!!

2 Likes

tyvm :relaxed:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to it even if there is a 10k bounty on my head :relaxed:

1 Like