I Don't Get It

Sometimes, we get our chips in good, but lose to a suckout. This is just part of the game, and it happens to all of us. What I don’t get is this: why show animosity towards the person sucking out?

If your lottery number doesn’t come in, do you hate the guy pulling the numbered balls? If your number doesn’t come up in roulette, do you hate the croupier? I guess haters gonna hate, but it’s kind of silly.

It’s not only goofy, it’s counter-productive. It can cloud your judgement and make you act foolishly in future hands, not to mention it makes you look like an idiot if you type a nasty comment in chat.

I want people to make bad calls when they play against me. I also understand that they will make a better hand some percentage of the time. As long as I have bet properly to make your chasing a mistake, we can do that all day long. You can’t profit in the long run, why would I hate my best sources of profit?

Anyway, I just don’t get why people dislike someone for something that was totally out of their control. Personally, I find it to be quite amusing, but still… I just don’t get it. Any insights on this you would like to share?

7 Likes

Hate is a strong word … but it is annoying when someone sucks out. Is saying boooooooo considered a nasty comment ?

1 Like

No, it’s not. Coming from you, I consider it to be about the same as “nice hand studmuffin” or “well done snuggle bunny.”

And yeah, I get it. It can be frustrating. A lot of times, people make goofy small bets that give their opponent the right price to chase. I don’t see how they can get all mad and stuff if someone does chase and catch in that kind of situation.

2 Likes

Thanks , now I can never say booooooo to you again…lol

5 Likes

Well, it’s just that saying “boooo” is expressing displeasure at the general situation. It’s not really directed AT me, at least from my perspective.

But if it makes you feel better, you can say, :Hiiiissssss," which I would understand to mean, “you lucky idiot!.”

3 Likes

Frankly, I used to be annoyed when some ‘d__k’ inflicted a ‘suck out’ upon me. Then I ‘grew’ (?) as a poker player and decided not to let such events push me into ‘tilt’. Firstly, if they were successful, I’d have to say I didn’t bet size properly or misread the table - there’s a cure for that! Secondly, going into ‘tilt’ threatens my stack and should be avoided. Thirdly, sometimes you’re going to lose - IT’S POKER, manage your ‘mentals’ and manage your bankroll, followed by some self-reflection, and you’ll be back rockin’ in short order.

On more than one occasion I’ve been the ‘river rat’ and it’s been largely because the opposition didn’t give me a reason to fold my promising, but as yet unfilled, hand. A recent win in this fashion had the opposition get quad 9s on the flop but not push on subsequent streets enabling me to land higher quads on the river (FH @ the turn had me rocking!). A classic ‘Bad Beat’ for the opposition - but one they could only blame themselves for which is doubly (at least) painful.

So if play at the table is causing ‘pain’ to you, I suggest you review your play and adjust accordingly. You can’t control other’s play. You can control your own play - focus on that.

3 Likes

Well, SPG, the answer is plainly obvious (according to all those haters) Replay is rigged! lol. When the haters start whining I always ask them if they will be serving cheese with that whine!

2 Likes

I think it’s a part of the development of the poker mind. Hear me out.

When you start out, you lose a lot chasing draws and paying the minimum to see flops. Then you start to learn, and the first thing you learn is to fold anything but premium pairs. Those are rare so you feel like when you get them, you have to win and win big. When you don’t, you feel aggrieved, because you waited and waited for those cards, and you STILL lost. You felt entitled to win the hand, regardless of the way the cards hit the board, regardless of whatever whoever else was holding. So you get mad, and the obvious target of the anger is that guy who has all your chips now.

Eventually, you can learn to play even better, and then you can play a wider range, and you know how to bet, when to fold and when to fold good cards. You’re playing +EV, and enough hands to know you’re playing +EV. Now when a player sucks out, you can congratulate him, and encourage him to keep playing that way, knowing that if he does, you’re going to get a lot of chips out of it.

It’s a sign of the entitled, beginner player.

2 Likes

On behalf of those who suspect the RNG may be juiced, I thank you for your volunteer work on this site mocking the haters and whiners. Your intolerance of diverse opinions is a testament to you dedication.
I call on those in charge to double your allotment of free Rep chips this month.

1 Like

I don’t know why everybody is taking just one side of this so far. All I’ve read so far is: when this happens it’s all my fault and I should learn to play better and I should be a better person and the one who sucked out really deserved it and instead of insulting them I should congratulate them and go back to Mr Miyagi and train to be a better player.

It’s true that sometimes it could be your own fault for not betting high enough and making them fold, or for not playing more like a pro and taking their chips. But when it’s your fault, I don’t even call it a suck out personally. If I didn’t bet high enough, or made any kind of mistake that led this person to keep chasing and eventually win the pot, I would call it a mistake on my part, not a suck out on theirs.

To me, a suck out is when I go all in with my AK after seeing AhAdKs flop and get called by someone with a slightly smaller stack who is holding QhTh, in a Royal tournament setting, and end up losing the hand because of Jh and Kh at the turn and river miraculously giving them the win with a Royal Flush.

A suck out is when I don’t make any mistake, when I don’t limp or place small bets that allow others to chase, and I still get a bad beat by a chaser who practically should have folded preflop, not just after my bet.

Now in these situations, I don’t insult anyone, because it’s not in my nature. But I don’t leave the table singing Kumbaya and blaming myself either. I’m sorry but it’s not always my fault, and it is really frustrating when it isn’t. Yes it’s poker, yes we can all do better, and yes one should be patient and not tilt or surrender to anger. But it’s not a situation to celebrate and be happy about either.

ABSOLUTELY! But that doesn’t mean I’m happy it happened. I’m sure anyone would be at the very least a bit frustrated when this happens. I wouldn’t call anyone a hater if this happens to them and they didn’t like it or expressed anger without insulting anyone, and I wouldn’t congratulate them if they only blame themselves for not playing it right if they actually did play it right, it’s just what it is, a suck out, you have the right to be angry about it, and move on. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Well yeah, this seems to be the sensible approach. I don’t really want to correct such behaviors, i want to exploit them.

So basically, blame it on the millennials? Excellent idea!

2 Likes

Actually you win this one with a Full House. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Maya, this might help you get started pokering…

Replay Help Center: Poker Hand Hierarchy

1 Like

Thanks Larry, my apologies but I confused 2 hands, I meant to describe the Royal Flush, the hand I posted in the fairness debate right here.
I’ve edited my post and corrected it.

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Many thanks. I’ll start learning right away.

3 Likes

I knew what you were getting at, just couldn’t resist… Sorry

2 Likes

I would’ve done the same :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone suggested we should be happy about it. If I’m a 4-1 favorite and do everything right, I can still lose 20% of the time. I understand that this can be frustrating, but venting on the person who ultimately did what you wanted them to do (by getting in bad) is quite beyond my comprehension.

Personally, i would rather get in good and lose than get in bad and win. I see poker as a game of making correct decisions. After that, it’s out of your control, and the anger is unwarranted if things beyond your control go wrong.

4 Likes

There are beginners of all ages. Some millennials are very good players. You never know who’s on the other end of the keyboard. On the internet, nobody knows you’re a dog.

3 Likes

I totally agree.

1 Like

My final hand in a MTT tonight, 2nd place finish:

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/485214635

I shoved no-hand, was called by no-hand. I had him out-kicked on High Card, but my opponent paired a 5 on the river. He should never have been in this hand. But what can you do? It was a bad play to bluff here with nothing, he could well have had a Queen. But it was a much worse play for him to call me with the tournament on the line and no hand made.

I congratulated him and hope to play him again soon.

1 Like