All in or fold?

What would others have done in this situation with KK and an ace on the flop ? - I think the guy who won it probably had an ace and the guy jamming in a high pair (JJ / QQ)

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/480000206

After the lead out on the flop and the call by the other player, I fold. Its a sickening feeling but its the way things go sometimes. 1 may be on a draw or a bluff but not both in all likelihood. They don’t call kings ace-magnets for nothing :slight_smile:

Yeah, same here. I would have folded. It’s tough, but my gut would’ve sunk when I saw the ace. We all play aces, it’s not a stretch for one to be out there somewhere. Now you need another king, and it would’ve cost too much, at least in my mind. Fold them kings!

1 Like

I agree too. Personally I’m not sure I would have raised 6.5 BB pre-flop from that position, even with Ks. But yeah, given the action on the flop, into the muck go the Ks!

Best to lay it down here, because there are two players still in it against you and probably one of them has an Ace, though by the river there is also a possible straight, and perhaps one of the players was aiming for a straight flush.

I think with KK you need to raise high enough to narrow it to one opponent and try to get them to fold the unpaired Aces and suited connectors preflop, so that you are only up against pocket pairs. With three callers, you might as well lay the hand down right away. If the opponent has a pocket pair, they will probably shove with Aces, and possibly with Queens. With Jacks or Tens opponent will be worried about overcards on the flop.

Another strategy in the early stages of a tournament is to just limp the hand like any pocket pair, then decide how to play the hand depending on the texture of the flop. If the going looks good, you will obviously want to try to take down the pot at the flop, or at least eliminate some opponents. If another K comes, you have a well disguised monster that will win a lot of chips from the opponent with 2 pairs, if the flop comes high, you may have straight possibilities with a blocking effect on the kings

Later on in the late stages of a tournament when the blinds are high KK becomes a much more useful hand and should be played forcefully preflop to drive off the limpers and take down a large pot. If you have been stealing pots regularly with garbage, someone may try to teach you a lesson this time with something like K, J and the result will probably not be pretty for them.

Credit is a system whereby a person who can not pay gets another person who can not pay to guarantee that he can pay.

Charles Dickens

2 Likes

Error

Yeah, I probably would have limped on the KK preflop, like Mekon says, and then play it by feel once the ace dropped, but only because I’m not good at the raise. I just don’t have a really good feel for the sqwishy ones, so I usually just call. However, it’s good to hear there are times that my laziness can work for me, lol!

Possible to limp in on KK but you leave more people to connect post flop with lower cards / flush / straight . I know bid was a bit high but I sometimes have to rush to get correct bid in and a couple of times have been a touch too slow and folded , so just put the nearest bid thats easy to enter

Pre flop, I’ll typically use the 3x or pot button depending on mood, game mode, limpers, etc. With all those limpers in front, a pot raise could get rather large (6.5BB in this case). I find it best to just have a number in mind if I use neither of those options so I can get it in quickly (5BB would be a quick 2-0-0 on your 10-digit keypad in this case). You want to be consistent with your pre-flop raises anyway so people can’t estimate the strength of your hole cards by the raise alone.

To the main point: it is tough to lay down pocket kings, but it was probably a good idea here. With the amount of weak Ace trash people play, chances are one of these guys had one. I’d also consider that one opponent may have had pocket 6s or 8s and flopped a set. Based on the behavior in the hand, my guess would be wuddi had an Ace with decent kicker (or two pair) and fcox flopped a set. You were toast unless you hit one of your two outs on the river.