A Look Inside

In order for bluffing to be effective, it needs to happen rarely. You’re going to have “any two cards” WAY more often than you’ll have the nuts, or even a strong value hand. Winnowing down your list of bluffs to a fraction of your value range (half or less, assuming you’re betting pot or smaller) is HARD - see this thread as an example.

When you throw random hands into your bluff range, you rapidly become unbalanced. Since - again - you’re going to have way more random hands in your range than value, you give your opponents a huge incentive to call you down. Your loose reputation will make it easier for you to get value on the rare hands when you are strong, but the lack of balance will cost you more money/chips than it gains you, particularly among the call-happy stations that dominate all but the most elite stakes on Replay.

If anything, I’d rather build a nittier reputation than I actually play, missing out on some value when I do have a solid hand, but reaping pots more frequently when I do bluff.

2 Likes