7 2 Wipes me out

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/476998573/four-of-a-kind-sevens

Could I have got away from this hand?

I think so. When the third 7 hits the board, you’re holding a full house that looks pretty good, but it’s made from 3 of a kind on the board, and whenever I see three of a kind on the board, I feel very cautious if I don’t have quads and someone else is betting strongly. Laying down a full house is not easy, but it’s probably easiest in this situation. You could lay it down easier on the Turn than on the River when your hand improved to Aces full of 7s, though.

Consider your opponent:

One Ace and you’re chopping.
One 7 and you’re losing.
Two Aces and you’re losing.
A lesser pair and you’re winning.

That’s not so great, really. The biggest pots tend to be monster vs. monster, where both players feel unbeatable, but in this case your monster was vulnerable.

5 Likes

Yes, by not limping preflop. Had you put in a meaty raise, it is very likely that 2 7 would have folded. If you have a good starting hand and you allow junk hands to limp in, this kind of thing will happen more frequently than if you raise preflop. You also have to consider whether opponent had been limping before with junk hands.

8 Likes

I concur with both pug and Mekon. A preflop raise might’ve saved you much angst. And once the trips are on the table, there should’ve been a great big CAUTION sign flashing. There was no bet or raise here for you after the third 7 fell.

2 Likes

I start to become wary as soon as the board pairs. If the board double pairs, 9 times out of 10 at least one person has a full house. If the board trips up, especially on the flop, it’s a big red flag that you’re dealing with one of those extra fun Replay "variance"™ type hands.

Such as this one…
https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/476774165

If I’m in the hand cheap and the betting goes out of control on a board like this, I just muck it. It’s just not worth staying unless I’m holding the absolute winning card.

1 Like

Just wanted to offer my personal take, albeit a beginner’s; no disrespect or lecture sounding intended at all:

Such a monster is tough to let go, but a couple of good points were raised.

The action limps over to you in the SB where you hold AQ. That is a raise. Charge them to see that flop. AQo is a fairly good hand, but very vulnerable multi-way. If you can go heads up you are the favorite in most situations. If you get 3-bet, it’s an easy hand to get away from in EP without losing much. By limping here, you allow too many opponents to see the flop for next to nothing. You let the guy who beat you see the flop with the worst hand in poker. In a lot of cases you will be ahead with AQ, so take advantage of having that equity over your opponent. If you raised pre-flop here then villain folds, button likely folds, BB folds, and you go heads up against UTG+1. You can still squeak out some value with that hand.

After limping into the pot, you leading out on the flop with that bet screams two pair, possibly trips. UTG+1 has a decision to make and has to figure out where he’s at. I have him on a pocket pair here, thinking about whether one of you guys holds a 7 or an A. Once he sees the subsequent action when it gets to the turn he easily runs.

From villain’s perspective he doesn’t put you on a 7 because he has one, and AA would likely check the flop (and had a pre-flop raise, but same outcome on flop if you limped pre trying to disguise bullets).

You may have been repping a 7 or maybe AA by checking the turn, but once that huge 3-bet comes from villain on the turn it’s time to run. He saw the flop for free. It’s likely he has rags and caught a 7. He wouldn’t have AA or A7 in this spot, or any A with a decent kicker, so that huge bet has to be a 7 or a ridiculously risky bluff. I don’t see villain bluffing to rep a 7 here. He knows you have a big hand, and AT-AAis unlikely, so a big bluff or a 7. Bluffing a 7 in this spot would require some serious skill to be certain you didn’t have one. The action tells you it’s likely he has one, so it is interesting, but too tough to say you don’t have one if he doesn’t. So I credit him a 7 with that bet and lay my boat down. Like previously mentioned, a boat with 3 on the board is a proceed with cautioun situation.

Again, just my opinion. Apologies if this sounds absurd or offensive- I’m not quite ‘there’ enought to know for sure! lol :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I hear ya in that I am always amazed at how many people are often remaining in the hand when the board double pairs! It’s one thing (and essentially not really) if it’s done with much thought, but so often it seems it isn’t! lol :slight_smile:

Others have this pretty well covered but I’d like to add that AQ in the SB is not just a small raise preflop, its a big one. You will be out of position for the rest of the hand if you take a flop so you want to either take the dead money in the middle without seeing a flop or get heads-up. Do not make one of the silly-small raises we see so much of here. Don’t min-raise or go to 3x - go large. Make it 3x + 1.5-2x per limper because people are too reluctant to fold any mildly interesting hand preflop. Charge them.

Once you took a flop with basically a bunch of nearly random hands, all sorts of weird things can happen. In general, when someone is giving that type of action on a paired board here, they have it, especially with an A on the flop (so they can’t have an over-pair to the unpaired card). The way things played out in this one, I don’t think you can fold to the river shove with top full-house at the odds you are being given.

7 Likes

Another example for your perusal.

You get a full house! …and you get a full house! …you ALL get a full house! Bwahahahaha…

1 Like

Thanks guys…some interesting points raised and much for me to think about my game.

This is why you should never let the Oprah be a guest-dealer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course when you are playing with a total luckbox, you still need to pay attention to the action. 250K MTT and this guy is still playing 7/2o after a 5x raise. The raise needed to be larger IMO (~210) but this guy may have decided to see a flop anyway. https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/478061940 Just sad that this goes on at any stake game.

When playing stations, bet for value. Under-bluff in most cases rather than firing off your stack into someone who can’t lay down a pair.

3 Likes

Man, it sure would be nice if I paid any attention to my own advice. Then again, why should I be the only one who does? :wink: Hand #479009798 - Replay Poker

Honestly, I’m fine with the play. I’m trying to work on a few lines and I’d rather execute and not have it work out than play passive poker. In these short-format games, at some point you have to make hands. I played 1 game earlier and was well inside the bubble line when I had a few lost flips with people shoving short-stacks. I was actually calling really tight but didn’t win a single one of them. Then I was in danger of not making the cash at all. I managed to get a 2nd-tier cash but that’s not what I’m playing these games for.

Well, I remember when someone went all in with an ace hi flush… no pair on the board. He lost… I had a straight flush

1 Like

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/482390350

Could I Have got away from this hand?

7 2 Wipes me out as well

1 Like
  • Raise to 10BB
  • Get called by 5 people
  • Flop is mostly dry, but a straight draw is possible
  • BB pot bets into you

Ahh, low stakes. Since so many people are focused only on their cards and straight-forward with their betting, this guy probably has something like top pair high kicker, two pair, a set, or even 9-8 for the straight draw. You have some ways to win here, although an Ace is your best case scenario. Tough to lay down Aces, but tough to call someone betting into you like this as well.

• Jack on turn, completes straight with 9-8
  • BB goes all in
  • Must call 200 to win 550, 2.75:1

Tough decision. Since we know the opponent has made 2 pair with 7-2, these are your outs: (2) Ace, (3) Ten, (3) Jack. (36:8 = 4.5:1) If the opponent had a pocket pair that made a set, an Ace is your only out. If the opponent made the straight, you are drawing dead. However, if this guy is bluffing or only has top pair, you are still winning.

Maybe I lay down here. Didn’t necessarily have to be 7-2 that had your Aces beat; it easily could have been pocket 10s. Tough to get away from Aces, though. Bummer, man.

But hey, it’s just play chips and it’s low stakes. Can always refill if ya lose. May as well play 7-2o from BB. :laughing:

Not 7/2 but 6/2o in my BB. Anyone raises and I don’t see the flop. Can’t explain the raise/shove on the river by villain but this is what happens when you limp in: https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/483282624

1 Like

Also not 7/2, but close (7/4) - this is one of the most brutal beats I’ve seen, and it was a huge pot: https://www.replaypoker.com/poker_table/5152739/open

*Hi, Rob! Good luck always. *

THANKS GL TO YOU ALSO